Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2018 1025r seems to smoke a lot less on start up now. I have 75 hours on it and have been using a sample of some stuff the military uses. Not sure why it smokes less but I like it. Engine broken in? Warmer weather? Fuel treatment? What’s your experience?

Reactions: jdforever

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
pretty much any diesel smokes less starting up in warm weather, when they're cold they're less efficient, fuel is not burned as completely or clean until they build up some heat in the cylinders. You're not imaging it, and it's no problem.

·
Administrator
20,834 Posts
Your fuel system isn’t rated for the drier fuel Mil spec calls for. I would steer clear of Mil spec fuel for your tractor.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Your fuel system isn’t rated for the drier fuel Mil spec calls for. I would steer clear of Mil spec fuel for your tractor.
Just using the same diesel I always use with a small amount of FuelOx I got as a sample. No military spec fuel.

·
Administrator
20,834 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
All our diesels are compression-ignition engines (which BTW is why you should only use a a C* oil not an S* --C designates Compression ignition, S for spark). They are essentially fuel fed air pumps and it is key that they retain some central heat to run well, hence better running in summer.
It can be a bonus that they DONT retain heat easily though, but release it in the exhaust - my diesel children rarely overheat, unlike some cars I've owned. (Plus popping wet gloves over the stack can give you warmer hands - sorta). Heck, on the Turbo Diesel Register some owners removed their Cummins fans for winter running (NR - you lose your air pull for your AC/defogger). Winter starts are tougher AND, despite what diesel breed (I may get flack over this one) ALL have poorer top end lubrication (upper cylinder walls, etc) in the cold and should be started and allowed to idle (perhaps fast idle) before throttling up or loading up - just MHO after 1/2 million on the Dodge and 1/4 million on the Motori Jeep.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts