Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Hello all.
Newwer 1025r owner here.
Just wondering if it's normal for these machines to blubber slightly for a few seconds on cold start up.
I cycle the glow plugs, and set the throttle about 1/4 or so. Starts immediately, blubbers/smokes and then cleans up, runs great.
As colder weather is approaching, I was wondering what others experience.
The manual states to set the throttle at approx. 1/2 then back it down after starting to let it warm up. That just seems really high to me.
Also when really cold, do you guys cycle the glow plugs more than once?
Thanks, G

·
Premium Member
13,642 Posts

Hello all.
Newwer 1025r owner here.
Just wondering if it's normal for these machines to blubber slightly for a few seconds on cold start up.
I cycle the glow plugs, and set the throttle about 1/4 or so. Starts immediately, blubbers/smokes and then cleans up, runs great.
As colder weather is approaching, I was wondering what others experience.
The manual states to set the throttle at approx. 1/2 then back it down after starting to let it warm up. That just seems really high to me.
Also when really cold, do you guys cycle the glow plugs more than once?
Thanks, G
It is fairly normal with this engine, some more some less than others. I’ve never done the half throttle start, just can’t bring myself to do. However, it was explained a little to me by the service manager at my dealer. Because of the tier 4 emissions standards these engines are run so lean the half throttle start is to give it extra fuel for start up. I would suggest the block heater kit, around $180, and yes, I cycle the glow plugs twice when cold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Ray_PA and Levi

·
Registered
612 Posts
Also had the smoke and rough start on first cold morning, then started plugging in the engine block heater about an hour before starting it up and then it started like it was summer. No problems since

·
Premium Member
14,896 Posts
Normal

In winter months , cycle key on and off 4-6 times makes a difference.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK. Thanks. I feel better.
I did get the block heater but it's not been cold enough to use it yet.
Didn't know how many time I could cycle the glow plugs.
Thanks again. George

·
Premium Member
5,792 Posts
Back in December 2000 I bought a new Jetta TDI. It was about zero one day and I went out to start it before I left work. It was close to the door and when i started it the smoke was rolling past the office windows and you could hear it sputtering and knocking inside. The receptionist said “that’s your new car”?:laugh:

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
OK. Thanks. I feel better.
I did get the block heater but it's not been cold enough to use it yet.
Didn't know how many time I could cycle the glow plugs.
Thanks again. George
If you decide to add the block heater, you can save a few bucks by purchasing the heater portion from aftermarket suppliers. You'll still require the engine block adapter, which I've only been able to source from JD. Also, the engine block adapter is only partially painted. So you'll need a can of high heat gloss black spray paint.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002UNASYS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

·
Registered
23,048 Posts
Normal diesel cold start.
This is not normal for a diesel. My 2520 fires off clean as can be with a cold start - not a stumble or more than initial puff of smoke. These 1-series are known for the stumble at cold start.

Short 18 second video of my cold start at 20*F at idle.

2520 cold start - YouTube

·
Premium Member
13,642 Posts
This is not normal for a diesel. My 2520 fires off clean as can be with a cold start - not a stumble or more than initial puff of smoke. These 1-series are known for the stumble at cold start.

Short 18 second video of my cold start at 20*F at idle.

2520 cold start - YouTube
That's how my 1023 was too Stan, but not this 2025, she stubbles for a few seconds at 40*.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I only used 1/4 throttle on my X495, and no smoke...on my new 2025R I use only low idle (all the way down) and it starts in less that 2 revolutions. Also no smoke.

When the dealer picked up my X495 for the trade-in, he tried starting it at 3/4 throttle, and there was a lot of smoke...told him to just start it at 1/4 throttle, and it started perfect, and with no smoke.

Mark

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
Is it a new 1025R? The glow plug routine was changed. Mine starts now similarly to the video above, since they replaced my instrument cluster. I think 2016 and beyond can be flashed with the new program, all before the IC needs to be replaced. 2017, I believe has the new routine. Keeps glows lit for 2 minutes after startinh to help the cold cylinders. I get a sputter or two when down near zero, unlike what it used to do. Just about shake apart. No wonder the air cleaner brackets failed. I gave them the idea, so at least they stepped up and helped me out.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Reactions: North585 and Levi

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
By the way, always start at low idle.

Reactions: Firemark and Levi

·
Premium Member
252 Posts

+1 I find that low idle works well and almost eliminates the smoke. I guess if I had trouble starting, I would up the throttle, but I've never had any problems starting ever.

Also, the block heater works very well, I've used it down to -25F and she starts right up with minimal smoke. I let it idle before I move it to warm up the hydraulic fluid as well.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Just another data point, and wondering if this is normal. The linked video is a cold start of my 2018 1025R. Based on the fact that it has the newer air filter setup I figure it was build sometime in July or August of this year. I started at just about 1/2 throttle as I think that's what the manual says. It behaves the same when I start it at the low idle position. Lots of smoke and shaking for the first few seconds as shown. I was figuring it is norma and was going to start a thread like this. So is this normal?

·
Registered
968 Posts

If the manual says anything other than start at low idle it should be changed..........:mocking:

Too much fuel with a cold engine I would expect dirty exhaust as logic would have it.

Everybody knows an engine is less efficient when cold, don’t make it worse by adding more fuel.

·
Premium Member
13,642 Posts
Personally I think people worry about things that really don't need to be worried about, lots and lots of diesels will start just like that when cold, if not worse.

Reactions: Ray_PA

·
Registered
69 Posts
Personally I think people worry about things that really don't need to be worried about, lots and lots of diesels will start just like that when cold, if not worse.
Some of us don't know any better which is why we are asking. If that's normal, then I'm not worried. My tractor is the only tractor I've ever seen cold started so I figured I ask people who have experience. Thanks for the info:)

·
Premium Member
13,642 Posts
Some of us don't know any better which is why we are asking. If that's normal, then I'm not worried. My tractor is the only tractor I've ever seen cold started so I figured I ask people who have experience. Thanks for the info:)
I get that, that's why most of us are here, this has been talked about since 2013 with the 1025. It seems to be fairly normal for this engine. What I meant was this is only happening for a few seconds and then it smooths out, pretty much normal for a lot of diesel engines, from all different makes. We used to have Cat engines in our trucks, them things would clatter and bang for what seemed like an eternity on a cold start, even with a block heater that had been plugged in overnight. Now we have had Cummins engines for 10 years and they aren't much better on a cold start.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Yep, a little stumble and smoke is absolutely normal on diesels. Some more than others of course.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts