Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1025R, Get 4-6 inches of snow in central PA last night and used the bucket to clear 3/8 mile lane. not very efficient, looking at a blade but not sure to go with a quick attach blade for on the boom or go with a front mounted blade. Need some input for witch work best.
Thanks
Sprout

·
Super Moderator
5,291 Posts
There are advantages/disadvantages to both methods.

A blade mounted to the Deere Quick Hitch without the loader is a much more maneuverable machine when working in tight spaces but has the disadvantage of not being able to be raised very high. You can find that you get to a point where you run out of places to push the snow to once you have snow banks from that first or 2nd storm.

The loader mounted blade allows you to stack snow higher but the machine can get pretty long and hard to turn around in tighter spots. It is also hanging quite a ways out on front. The weight of the snow gets compounded by that length so you tend to see teh front end get pushed around a little more that the Quick Hitch mounted setup.

Everyone's driveway is different so you have to look at what you're doing and where you can clear. Are you working in a lot of tight spots? Do you have big wide-open spaces on both sides of the driveway where you can push snow back far enough off to the sides?

·
Premium Member
13,823 Posts
I use a FEL mounted plow and like it, opinions on this topic will vary greatly, but I like my set up and the ability to stack the snow. I guess a lot would depend on your driveway surface and how much snow you tend to get, I have gravel and snowfall varies from year to year.

·
Registered
4,683 Posts
I use a FEL mounted plow and like it, opinions on this topic will vary greatly, but I like my set up and the ability to stack the snow. I guess a lot would depend on your driveway surface and how much snow you tend to get, I have gravel and snowfall varies from year to year.
Ditto here also

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your input, I do have a lot of room around every thing so I think a blade on the Quick Hitch would suit my needs.

There are advantages/disadvantages to both methods.

A blade mounted to the Deere Quick Hitch without the loader is a much more maneuverable machine when working in tight spaces but has the disadvantage of not being able to be raised very high. You can find that you get to a point where you run out of places to push the snow to once you have snow banks from that first or 2nd storm.

The loader mounted blade allows you to stack snow higher but the machine can get pretty long and hard to turn around in tighter spots. It is also hanging quite a ways out on front. The weight of the snow gets compounded by that length so you tend to see teh front end get pushed around a little more that the Quick Hitch mounted setup.

Everyone's driveway is different so you have to look at what you're doing and where you can clear. Are you working in a lot of tight spots? Do you have big wide-open spaces on both sides of the driveway where you can push snow back far enough off to the sides?

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
We used big tractors and loaders growing up and when we epifonied into plow trucks and loader mounted plows, our speed and efficiency went up 100 fold. Don't get me wrong. Loaders have their place like stacking piles but to push an entire road in road gear is was unheard of with a loader.

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,279 Posts
If it was between a blade with QH or a blade mounted to the FEL then I'd get the blade with the QH. If the snow gets piled so much that the blade isn't doing much good then take it off and put the FEL on with the bucket and move it so you will have more room. Pretty easy to change from one to the other. Best of both worlds.

·
Premium Member
15,042 Posts
Never owned a blade for FEL, but have owned a front quick hitch and front blade for over 16 yrs on different sub compacts and a JD425.

For me , I never gave a FEL blade a thought. During the summer months there are times I need to move dirt and IMO think the FQH would be better than a front mount blade on FEL. As others have said , I think the FQH would be shorter and possibly easier to maneuverable than one on FEL.:dunno:

and

don't know may be cheaper NOT SURE on that. I've either traded it in for another or sold it with the tractor if I sold it locally.

Reactions: PJR832 and Levi

·
Premium Member
2,904 Posts
I have not used the blade on the quick hitch but I just got the loader mounted HLA 1000 this year, I got it mostly for pushing small snowfalls that are a pain to blow with my rear mount blower. We still haven't had enough snow to work it proper but the little I have I like it. The concern raised about it being long is no issue for me in my yard. However, it is a real dance working the down pressure of the loader combined with the steering because the leverage of the length and being on the loader does have an effect. For my purpose, no issue, I only plan to push light snow and I really don't want to take my loader off in the winter. But if the plow was my only tool for moving snow, I might suggest a frame mounted front quick hitch is the way I would go.

Reactions: Levi and PJR832

·
Premium Member
13,823 Posts
If it was between a blade with QH or a blade mounted to the FEL then I'd get the blade with the QH. If the snow gets piled so much that the blade isn't doing much good then take it off and put the FEL on with the bucket and move it so you will have more room. Pretty easy to change from one to the other. Best of both worlds.
It only takes me about 30 seconds to switch from plow to bucket, just sayin'

·
Premium Member
13,823 Posts
I have not used the blade on the quick hitch but I just got the loader mounted HLA 1000 this year, I got it mostly for pushing small snowfalls that are a pain to blow with my rear mount blower. We still haven't had enough snow to work it proper but the little I have I like it. The concern raised about it being long is no issue for me in my yard. However, it is a real dance working the down pressure of the loader combined with the steering because the leverage of the length and being on the loader does have an effect. For my purpose, no issue, I only plan to push light snow and I really don't want to take my loader off in the winter. But if the plow was my only tool for moving snow, I might suggest a frame mounted front quick hitch is the way I would go.
I agree 100%, I'm still learning with mine but I've learned now that float only works well with a straight blade when I cleaning and pushing up the edges, otherwise with the blade angled in float it wants to push the front end.

Reactions: Levi

·
Premium Member
2,904 Posts
I agree 100%, I'm still learning with mine but I've learned now that float only works well with a straight blade when I cleaning and pushing up the edges, otherwise with the blade angled in float it wants to push the front end.
Yes, I don't mess around with the angle feature. I just push it all straight and it works fine. Odd, but I am hoping for a decent 4" snowfall so I can give an honest review. But on the other hand, we are having a great winter so far compared to the rest of the continent.

·
Premium Member
13,823 Posts
Yes, I don't mess around with the angle feature. I just push it all straight and it works fine. Odd, but I am hoping for a decent 4" snowfall so I can give an honest review. But on the other hand, we are having a great winter so far compared to the rest of the continent.
I was looking forward to plowing last night as well, our first real snowfall and even that wasn't much, but I finally got to plow about 8" last night. I like it but it does take some getting used to.

·
Premium Member
2,795 Posts
I prefer the quick hitch with a blade. But I got the 60" fron CTA. It is a taller snow blade with a set of nice feet like on a larger plow. I have a 54" blade on my 420 that I had since 91 when I got the 1025 I wanted a larger blade.

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
It only takes me about 30 seconds to switch from plow to bucket, just sayin'
Yeah But You still have to get off the Tractor to angle it. That's where the quick Hitch has the Loader mounted Blade beat on the 1 series & 2025R and Today Deere does Make a 60inch Blade for the quick Hitch:thumbup1gif:

·
Premium Member
13,823 Posts
Yeah But You still have to get off the Tractor to angle it. That's where the quick Hitch has the Loader mounted Blade beat on the 1 series & 2025R and Today Deere does Make a 60inch Blade for the quick Hitch:thumbup1gif:
Hydraulic angle is available on FEL mounts you know, it just wasn't in the budget for 2017, but I'll need the third function anyway for a someday grapple purchase.

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
Hydraulic angle is available on FEL mounts you know, it just wasn't in the budget for 2017, but I'll need the third function anyway for a someday grapple purchase.
Yes I know You Can get Hydraulic angle for Blades. But the frontier Blade for the 1 series Loader is Manual angle so unless someone has comes up with a Kit. Going By OEM as it stands right now a QH for a 1series or a 2025R allows You not to have to get off your tractor to angle the Blade. Unless Yo go with Artillian's Kit and Your still using a quick hitch for that it's just mounted on a Loader :bigthumb:

Reactions: PJR832

·
Premium Member
13,823 Posts
Yes I know You Can get Hydraulic angle for Blades. But the frontier Blade for the 1 series Loader is Manual angle so unless someone comes up with a Kit. Going By OEM as it stands right now a QH for a 1series or a 2025R allows You not to have to get off your tractor to angle the Blade:bigthumb:
I understand completely, mine is pretty much homemade, I had a 72" Moose plow for my Mule, had it welded to a quick tach plate but the cost of the 3rd funtion was out of reach for the moment but will be taken care of this year hopefully. I actually was seconds from pulling the trigger on the JD blade and components but then thought, "why, I have a perfectly good blade". What I like about the FEL mount is I no longer have to push the snow clear across the yard because now I can just push it up, and if it ever gets too much I can always put the bucket on and move it with very little effort.

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
I understand completely, mine is pretty much homemade, I had a 72" Moose plow for my Mule, had it welded to a quick tach plate but the cost of the 3rd funtion was out of reach for the moment but will be taken care of this year hopefully. I actually was seconds from pulling the trigger on the JD blade and components but then thought, "why, I have a perfectly good blade". What I like about the FEL mount is I no longer have to push the snow clear across the yard because now I can just push it up, and if it ever gets too much I can always put the bucket on and move it with very little effort.
What I am Talking about is going By OEM The QH beats the Loader Mounted Blade in the angling department for the 1 Series or 2025R. I am Not a Metal Fabricator( to much of a Hurry to see the finished Product) So Until Deere comes out with or should I say Woods(Woods Makes the frontier Line) comes out with a Power angle Kit I'll stay with the quick Hitch. But I have Been using a Blower for the Last 3 years anyways.

I have 3 Tractors set Up for winter.
1025R with 47inch Blower
X748 with 45 loader & edge tamers
GX335 with 48inch Blade with Manual angle kit & rubber edge
:bigthumb:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts