Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First Post!! I have searched the forum previously on my problem but have not found what describes my situation. Sometimes my 1025R won't start. I have replaced the battery, positive terminal and the neutral start switch. The battery does not run down. When I go to start it, it either starts right up or the light comes on and when ready nothing happens. As this keeps happening I took it to a dealer who simply replaced the battery terminal that I had already replaced ($160 for nothing). Today I was checking for loose connections and did not find any but it started so I finished the job I had started and hopped off the machine with it idling so I could go ahead and load it on my trailer to take it to (another different) dealer and it turned off after I hopped of the seat. Does anybody have any idea what I should do next? I am not much on diagnosis but I am capable of changing parts. Bruce

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Do any codes display on the dash?

Reactions: Oliverclone

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Seems like they did at first about 6 months ago when it first happened but not now. Back then I was concerned with what appeared to be a heavy black "varnish" on the positive terminal so I replaced the terminal which had some corrosion. I worked for about 4 months with the new terminal without a problem.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
hopped off the machine with it idling so I could go ahead and load it on my trailer to take it to (another different) dealer and it turned off after I hopped of the seat.
Share with us anything you know about or have done with the seat safety switch. And, this one time did you move the lever to neutral or was it idling in high or low when you hopped off?

·
Premium Member
1,360 Posts
The 3 most likely causes, seat switch sticking, neutral switch , PTO switch. Those three things prevent the ONE from starting. The dealer should have checked those. Intermittent problems are a pain.

I can't tell if you are a new owner or not. Is it out of warranty?

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
The 3 most likely causes, seat switch sticking, neutral switch , PTO switch. Those three things prevent the ONE from starting. The dealer should have checked those. Intermittent problems are a pain.

I can't tell if you are a new owner or not. Is it out of warranty?
My guess is a chafed or broken wire. This is going to be a bugger to find.

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,856 Posts
A couple of other things to check/have checked are the ignition (key) switch and the starter solenoid. Usually the cause of no-start due to the seat, PTO or neutral switches will show up on the dash. Not sure if a bad ignition switch or solenoid would show up or not, but probably not.

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
12,775 Posts
Additional details would help, including the following;

• Number of hours on the machine.
  • What model year machine is it, or post the VIN Number if you don't know.
  • You do know that the parking brake must be set or the transmission High / Low selector in neutral before you can exit the seat when its running, right?
  • Even just bumping the gear selector lever slightly when in neutral while exiting the seat will shut down the engine, even when the selector remains in neutral.
  • Any other issues, such as PTO operation intermittent, etc,?
  • How long have you owned the machine?
  • Have you manually checked the function of the seat switch, Neutral switch and PTO switch to make sure the wires aren't loose on the switches, or the wires damaged or the switches sticking?
  • Have there been any other operational issues with the machine?

These details would help with more specific suggestions to solve the problem.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OK guys I am still here, I have not been on for a day or two because I have issues unfortunately with my truck, another car and a couple of other things that are happening. As far as my 1025r to answer some questions posed above 1) it is out of warranty 2) It has about 415 hours on it 3) I believe it is a 2014 model (I bought it with 115 hours on it) 4) The only other issue recently has been the stabilizer arm cylinder on the backhoe has a problem with "blowing" out the retaining circlip at the end of the cylinder 5) I have looked for loose connections or wires eaten by mice etc. 6) I am not aware of any issues with the PTO 7) Yes of course I am aware of the parking brake and transmission lever positions on startup although this last time it is possible I touched the transmission lever when getting off and caused it to shut off as that was the only time it shut off while running. So I did get it started again and I loaded it on the trailer while it was running. I think I just need to let the dealer deal with it as I mentioned I have other things going on and I just need it fixed. I spoke to the JD service manager and he of course said it has to be non-starting for him to diagnose it and he would use it and start it until it won't again so while I have it up on the trailer I think I will take it to him today. All dealers are 1 hour or more away so I was hoping to avoid taking it but I think maybe that is best at this time. Thanks for you input I just can't let this problem continue. Bruce

·
Premium Member
12,775 Posts
OK guys I am still here, I have not been on for a day or two because I have issues unfortunately with my truck, another car and a couple of other things that are happening. As far as my 1025r to answer some questions posed above 1) it is out of warranty 2) It has about 415 hours on it 3) I believe it is a 2014 model (I bought it with 115 hours on it) 4) The only other issue recently has been the stabilizer arm cylinder on the backhoe has a problem with "blowing" out the retaining circlip at the end of the cylinder 5) I have looked for loose connections or wires eaten by mice etc. 6) I am not aware of any issues with the PTO 7) Yes of course I am aware of the parking brake and transmission lever positions on startup although this last time it is possible I touched the transmission lever when getting off and caused it to shut off as that was the only time it shut off while running. So I did get it started again and I loaded it on the trailer while it was running. I think I just need to let the dealer deal with it as I mentioned I have other things going on and I just need it fixed. I spoke to the JD service manager and he of course said it has to be non-starting for him to diagnose it and he would use it and start it until it won't again so while I have it up on the trailer I think I will take it to him today. All dealers are 1 hour or more away so I was hoping to avoid taking it but I think maybe that is best at this time. Thanks for you input I just can't let this problem continue. Bruce
There are relay's in the electrical system which can cause this type of "intermittent" start and then nothing. My neighbors x7xx was doing the same thing and it was the starting circuit relay which was causing the issue. Relay replaced (I think under $15 if I recall for the part...) and its been fine ever since. The relays simply snap into the harness plug.

The reason I asked which model year is because of the difference in the machines 2013 - 2017 and 2018 - current.

There is a relay in the starter circuit which is found in the fuse box and there are 3 relays in the system. Check the fuse box for specific details of which is which. I would attempt this replacement before hauling to the dealer......The relay is part number LVA13729 and it sells for $12.53.

·
Super Moderator
3,620 Posts
And if I recall, the 3 relays in the fuseblock are all the same. You can just switch them around. For example, swap the start relay with the glow plug relay and see if it will start.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I just broke down and took it to the dealer and just got back from taking it. The problem for me is just what the dealer faces: I sometimes get it to start after quitting and i tried something then I think I found it but then it quits again causing me problems. As this started 6 months ago I just decided I need more help. But I would have tried the relay swap if I had heard about it before I took it. After I got it to start this morning I just wanted to get it on the trailer while it ran instead of having to use a come a long like last time. I unplugged the seat sensor a couple of times before I started it this morning and it started. Is that it? I don't know I thought I had it a couple of times before and it acted up again. I am a member here now so next time I will consult with you guys earlier before I get so frustrated. Bruce

·
Super Moderator
3,620 Posts
I unplugged the seat sensor a couple of times before I started it this morning and it started. Is that it?
No, the seat switch doesn't effect the starting circuit. Only the neutral safety and the PTO switch effect (inhibit or allow) starting. The ICC (Instrument Control Cluster... the computer) only needs to 'see' that the trans is in neutral and the PTO is off to allow the starter to energize. It doesn't care whether the seat switch is open or closed, or whether the brake is on to start. It does care about those 2 switches once the engine is running, if it's shifted out of neutral or the PTO is engaged. It depends on the situation as to what it's looking for at that point from those 2 switches, but again neither effect the starting circuit.

·
Premium Member
12,775 Posts
Oliverclone,
Make sure to get the specific details of anything which is done to the machine in the dealership. Don't accept a "We found a loose wire" type of answer. You need to know exactly which wire and where on the wire and precisely what the delaer did to repair it. I would bet the starter relay is the issue as they tend to act very intermittently, especially when the machine gets some time or years on it.

As Kyle mentioned, the 3 relays are interchangeable and all in the fuse box. This relay is a very common part and the dealers keep them in stock as it is used on 606 different John Deere machine applications, everything from small mowers to large agricultural tractors, forestry equipment, earth moving equipment, etc............

One last note, it's a good idea to acknowledge the posts of other members with either a "like" at the bottom of the posts or other type of response, which can include various symbols. That way they know whether or not you have seen their response. When members take the time to offer help, it's nice to know whether or not the help offered has even been seen by those requesting assistance.

Good luck with your tractor and make sure to post back after the dealer concludes their repairs to tell us what they found and what they did to your machine and hopefully, it resolves the problems. It's helpful to keep the threads updated and with conclusions, whenever possible so when another member searches with a similar problem, they can find your thread helpful in resolving their issues as well. It keeps the GTT site as a valuable resource for those seeking information.

Take care.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok I did not know the about the "likes" on the responses. I try to acknowledge the responses always but I am very grateful that anyone would take their time to address a problem so I will keep that in mind from here on out. I did intend to post the results from the dealer "fix" as to show how the problem was resolved and will as soon as I get it back. Bruce

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ok I got the tractor back from the dealer. Although at first he could not get it to act up they kept starting it and it did act up. On checking the voltage at the switch they only got around 3V so they cleaned the connections (I believe they were fuseable links he said) and regreased with electrical grease. This got them the 12V needed at the switch. They continually started it and used it around the shop without any further problem. He said that although it was not part of the problem that my starter switch showed wear and they had to push in on the key sometimes and recommended I replace it which I did. They did not charge me for the cleaning of the fuseable links only for the switch. I was happy with their service and attitude and will use them again. Thanks for everybodies replies. Bruce

·
Premium Member
12,775 Posts
Ok I got the tractor back from the dealer. Although at first he could not get it to act up they kept starting it and it did act up. On checking the voltage at the switch they only got around 3V so they cleaned the connections (I believe they were fuseable links he said) and regreased with electrical grease. This got them the 12V needed at the switch. They continually started it and used it around the shop without any further problem. He said that although it was not part of the problem that my starter switch showed wear and they had to push in on the key sometimes and recommended I replace it which I did. They did not charge me for the cleaning of the fuseable links only for the switch. I was happy with their service and attitude and will use them again. Thanks for everybodies replies. Bruce
Bruce, glad you had a positive experience with the dealership. Its nice to have a dealer you can rely upon.

The fusible links are sealed wires where a section of the coated wire is made with smaller wire than the primary wire used. For example, if the wire is typically 12ga, the fusible link portion of the wire would be made with 16ga wire, making that area the section of the wire which would fail if the wire is subjected to significant or prolonged current overloads.

The fusible link actually "burns through" and severs the wire internally. Its not always visibly apparent the fusible link has failed because the wire covering may remain intact, but tests confirm the connection through the wire has terminated. Sometimes, the section of the failed fusible link will be darkened or appear overheated on the outside of the wire covering but not always.

While fusible links are mentioned on GTT from time to time, the actual failures of them are pretty uncommon.

The service techs likely used Electrical contact cleaner to help improve the connections on plugs, wires and other connectors on the tractor. The cleaner typical removes oxidation and dirt and can coat the wire connection to help prevent future corrosion or other damage which can cause problems. Hopefully, this along with the switch replacement has solved your intermittent starting issue.

Thank you for reporting back on the dealership finding with your tractor. It helps make the threads more useful to others who may have a similar issue.

·
Premium Member
18,093 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts