Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 240 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pretty sure i just read some posts about this issue and the air cleaner being turned and mounted differently. But what the heck were the JD designers thinking. I already once had to tighten the bolts on the valve cover... and now my strap broke. This thing vibrates around like a mfer! This is on a 2016 1025r.

Anyone have luck getting this fixed by their dealers under warranty? Or is there maybe a recall?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
18,351 Posts
Many straps and support brackets have been replaced under warranty.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Sorry, I don't have an answer for you. But you mentioned JD designers in your post. I can say with 99.999% JD designers designed NOTHING at all on these low end tractors. If you do the research you will find that all major systems & component parts are from other manufacturers. All your buying is a green & yellow paint job. It's been this way for at least the past thirty or forty years with these tractors. Blame the bean counters at JD & not the designers because they had very little to do with it.

While everyone loves those sub compact tractors, they have a lot of problems. So what do you really have? Maybe a Yanmar engine, a B & S engine or a Kawasaki. That's what I would try & find out first just as a matter of understanding what you really have. Then do a search looking for the problem & see what others are saying. They may have the same problem as you but in a different color machine. We're now a Global country- Maybe your engine is also in a Mahindra, Kubota, LS or New Holland. Maybe they have a retro fit or a fix, but I rather doubt it.

My JD is thirty years old & the only thing JD about it is the green & yellow paint. The only plus side is that JD is almost the only company that offers any support with parts & repair information that the average owner can gain access to on line or at their dealer. All the other brands keep it a secret so your locked out of almost every DIY repair & most of these machines can be repaired by the average shade tree mechanic as long as you have access to the shop repair manual & the parts catalog. I tell everyone who invests thousands of $$$$$ into a machine, to BUY the shop manual & the Parts catalog in printed form & save it in a safe place because when the years roll by, & you try to repair that machine your going to be up the creek without a paddle as they say without those two books. Good luck.

·
Registered
929 Posts
My strap broke the same way as yours, right at the metal hook. Brought it to dealer, and they gave me a replacement right out of another 1025r that they had on the lot.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry, I don't have an answer for you. But you mentioned JD designers in your post. I can say with 99.999% JD designers designed NOTHING at all on these low end tractors. If you do the research you will find that all major systems & component parts are from other manufacturers. All your buying is a green & yellow paint job. It's been this way for at least the past thirty or forty years with these tractors. Blame the bean counters at JD & not the designers because they had very little to do with it.

While everyone loves those sub compact tractors, they have a lot of problems. So what do you really have? Maybe a Yanmar engine, a B & S engine or a Kawasaki. That's what I would try & find out first just as a matter of understanding what you really have. Then do a search looking for the problem & see what others are saying. They may have the same problem as you but in a different color machine. We're now a Global country- Maybe your engine is also in a Mahindra, Kubota, LS or New Holland. Maybe they have a retro fit or a fix, but I rather doubt it.

My JD is thirty years old & the only thing JD about it is the green & yellow paint. The only plus side is that JD is almost the only company that offers any support with parts & repair information that the average owner can gain access to on line or at their dealer. All the other brands keep it a secret so your locked out of almost every DIY repair & most of these machines can be repaired by the average shade tree mechanic as long as you have access to the shop repair manual & the parts catalog. I tell everyone who invests thousands of $$$$$ into a machine, to BUY the shop manual & the Parts catalog in printed form & save it in a safe place because when the years roll by, & you try to repair that machine your going to be up the creek without a paddle as they say without those two books. Good luck.
Jeesh man.. no need for the essay. I am very mechanically inclined and do all my own fixing on everything I own. If you dont even know the machine then dont bother posting!!

·
Registered
616 Posts
Pretty sure i just read some posts about this issue and the air cleaner being turned and mounted differently. But what the heck were the JD designers thinking. I already once had to tighten the bolts on the valve cover... and now my strap broke. This thing vibrates around like a mfer! This is on a 2016 1025r.

Anyone have luck getting this fixed by their dealers under warranty? Or is there maybe a recall?

Thanks for the post. Found the strap behind the alternator and didn't know where it came from. Now I can go to the dealer and get it replaced. Tractor had only about 50 hrs on it when I noticed the strap

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Jeesh man.. no need for the essay. I am very mechanically inclined and do all my own fixing on everything I own. If you dont even know the machine then dont bother posting!!

No need for the "Essay". Then don't read it. I thought ALL opinions are welcome here. Very mechanically inclined. Glad to hear it. Did you know that mushrooms grow best in the dark, even the ones that know how to screw in the light bulbs. Look on Youtube. That engine is in several brands of tractors. You will find videos of broken straps & also on the LS tractors, the radiator reservoir is impossible to keep filled because the vibration is so bad it shakes the filler cap off & the oil dipstick which is located ON THE SIDE IN THESE TRACTORS, KEEPS FALLING OUT OF THE DIP TUBE ALLOWING WATER, DUST & DIRT TO GET INTO THE ENGINE OIL.

So let me ask you, since your so mechanically inclined, what do you think is causing all that vibration? Wasn't that you complaint-excessive vibration. I would be more concerned than just a broken strap, but hey, you already said it, the thing is shaking itself to death.

Now you have yourself a blessed day. In the grand design of things is just a blip on the radar screen.:bigbeer:

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
No need for the "Essay". Then don't read it. I thought ALL opinions are welcome here. Very mechanically inclined. Glad to hear it. Did you know that mushrooms grow best in the dark, even the ones that know how to screw in the light bulbs. Look on Youtube. That engine is in several brands of tractors. You will find videos of broken straps & also on the LS tractors, the radiator reservoir is impossible to keep filled because the vibration is so bad it shakes the filler cap off & the oil dipstick which is located ON THE SIDE IN THESE TRACTORS, KEEPS FALLING OUT OF THE DIP TUBE ALLOWING WATER, DUST & DIRT TO GET INTO THE ENGINE OIL.

So let me ask you, since your so mechanically inclined, what do you think is causing all that vibration? Wasn't that you complaint-excessive vibration. I would be more concerned than just a broken strap, but hey, you already said it, the thing is shaking itself to death.

Now you have yourself a blessed day. In the grand design of things is just a blip on the radar screen.:bigbeer:
Opinions are like a$$holes. Everyones got one. Its the time when you use it that matters. I dont know whats causing the issue. But i would guess its bad design..;). But thats why i asked the forum my question. I have been around; own a 1972 112 and had an LX176 and 170. Did all the work myself. I bought a new machine with a warranty for a reason. And most users on here stick to the subject and dont give a long drawn out answer that doesnt have anything to do with the subject. You a politician?

·
Registered
471 Posts
My strap broke the same way as yours, right at the metal hook. Brought it to dealer, and they gave me a replacement right out of another 1025r that they had on the lot.
My dealer did the same thing when mine broke! Knock on wood the replacement one has held up.

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
I have replaced my broken strap at around 80 hours.
These engines, in my observations, shake the most at idle.
Now I generally elevate the rpm's to just under 2000 if I am warming it up or maneuvering in the garage just to smooth out the harmonics.
I noticed on the straps they use that they are molded around the metal hooks and on my first strap the hook was molded in off center and one edge was much thinner and the hook worked through the thin section.
I bought my replacement online at Green Farm Parts but if I were to go to a dealer that had them in stock I would ask the parts jockey to please bring several to the counter and I would select the strap with the most "meat" on the end around the hooks.

Reactions: t2timmy

·
Registered
913 Posts

A quick search for 1025R air filter brcket problems turned up this GTT thread from last year right here on GTT. Your frustration with the air filter mounting on your tractor is shared by many others.

Broken air filter bracket

·
Registered
4,130 Posts

Yep, had the same problem with the 1025R that I had. Dealer replaced under warranty. Way less than 100 hours on it as I sold it just short of 100 hours

Dave

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
There is an updated to the air cleaner placement.
Its not a recall, but the dealer may fix it/relocate it if they think its necessary.
Im going to check with my dealer on Saturday to see if they will do it before I have a problem.
If you plan to look into it, you want to tell them to look up Solution Number 113718 (if I wrote it down correctly). Thats the air cleaner update released recently for the 1025 and 2025.

As to the comments about Deeres not being Deeres, well, my 31 year old 318 says different. The only thing on it not Deere are the tires. Many, many other Deeres of all kinds are just like that.
The hydro is made by Sunstrand to Deeres specs, as is the Onan engine. All assembled at Deeres factory.
My 2025R is also assembled by Deere, and everything on it is made to their specs.
Sure the engine is a Yanmar, but they dont get to pick where the air filter goes, thats on Deere, and their designers. As a former mechanical engineer I find opinions like those mentioned about a simple paint job being the only difference laughable. There is, and always has been, quite a bit that Deeres engineers have a hand in with their products.
Is it sometimes the case? Yep. It is 100% the case with some new tractors out there right now.
This is why people look at the LS tractors to save money over buying New Holland.
Is it the case with Deere today? Not from what Ive seen. Heck, their twin touch pedal system was/is patented. There are similar systems, but similar isnt the same.
Nothing else out there right now looks anything like the Deeres.
Deere has always had manufacturers it uses for parts build them to their specs. Even the engines on their old aluminum deck push mowers were built by Kawasaki to Deeres specs. Those particular engines werent used on anything but Deere. Sure others were very close, but again, close isnt the same.
Do they share parts with others? Yep. Not many companies out there making that particular air cleaner housing. Same one on my Exmark. Should Deere make their own when someone else already does? Nope. Makes no sense to.

·
Premium Member
12,814 Posts
I have replaced my broken strap at around 80 hours.
These engines, in my observations, shake the most at idle.
They also seem to give a real violent shake when shutting down, right before the engine stops.

·
Registered
43 Posts
They also seem to give a real violent shake when shutting down, right before the engine stops.
Agreed! I cringe a little on shut down/start up - It seems like it would wreck the motor mounts in short order with how much it shakes for that split second. Is this something all diesels do or just this particular yanmar design?

Please excuse my ignorance on this, as this tractor is the only diesel-powered "vehicle" I've ever operated. :hide:

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Yes mine shakes like that on ****down too. Also at an idle. I guess its just the nature of the beast.
My Dealer called this am and admitted this was a common issue. But it is not covered under warranty. Oh well. I tried. Part is $24 from dealer. Im gonna just buy my own online and strap it on.
Thanks for the replies!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Quite a while ago my strap broke on my 2016 like yours. I left it off. The hoses hold it pretty good. I check the hose clamps every once in a while. They've never loosened up. It's noticeably quieter. I should take the big honken aluminum clamp off the engine.

·
Registered
4,489 Posts

The above was the original post ... author has a problem and expressed an opinion. That's OK in my book.

The above is ANOTHER OPINION, you can agree or disagree. I think all the following comments are uncalled for.

Aside from the stupid post above. Thanks for the comments guys. I called the dealer and theyre going to pick it up and look over/fix so they have the issue documented.

Opinions are like a$$holes. Everyones got one. Its the time when you use it that matters. I dont know whats causing the issue. But i would guess its bad design..;). But thats why i asked the forum my question. I have been around; own a 1972 112 and had an LX176 and 170. Did all the work myself. I bought a new machine with a warranty for a reason. And most users on here stick to the subject and dont give a long drawn out answer that doesnt have anything to do with the subject. You a politician?

So that's just MY OPINION. You can agree or disagree.

I do hope the OP gets satisfaction from his dealer.

Just my 2 cents. End of discussion from me on this matter.

1 - 20 of 240 Posts