Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My tractor was idling while I was off it when it started missing and then stopped running. It sounded like it ran out of fuel. When I tried to start it, it would start and run maybe 5-10 seconds then run rough and die again. A neighbor thought it is probably a clogged fuel line. Any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
12,170 Posts
It could be anything interrupting the fuel supply. When was the last time the fuel filters were changed? I would start there as it is the simplest. Some folks have had issues with the lift pump. Do you hear something on the engine clicking a few times per second when the key is turned on? That is the lift pump.

·
Super Moderator
2,202 Posts
Agree with J.

Seems the most common culprit is a plugged fuel filter under the left floor board.

·
Registered
390 Posts
I had a similar problem but my dealer replaced what they said was a bad fuel pump. However, even after they replaced the fuel pump at very few hours it did it again.

They picked it up again and found that a wiring problem. I think some wires were connected wrong. Which means that father Deere paid for a fuel pump replacement that probably wasn’t necessary. I have 50+ hours since they found the issue and the tractor has run perfectly.

I think you should check the connectors under the seat to verify they are all tight.

·
Registered
708 Posts
My tractor was idling while I was off it when it started missing and then stopped running. It sounded like it ran out of fuel. When I tried to start it, it would start and run maybe 5-10 seconds then run rough and die again. A neighbor thought it is probably a clogged fuel line. Any thoughts?
Start by replacing both fuel filters. Easy and cheap. Go from there if that doesn't do it.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
The very first thing I would check is to see if that red ring* in the fuel filter is floating off the bottom.

I used to always give that a glance before getting on the tractor, then for some reason I stopped doing that. Probably because it never changed.

Some time later I finally gave it another look and the red ring was topped out.

* the red ring sinks in diesel but floats in water. If it is not resting in the bottom of the bowl then that means you have water in there.

·
Premium Member
14,718 Posts
Change the baby filter under the floor board on the left side .

if that does work

change the other filter.

·
Premium Member
12,170 Posts
If you have access to the Technical Manual there should be a procedure for testing the lift pump. On my Gen-1 2-series they have you disconnect one of the rubber hoses and stick the hose in a graduated measuring cup. You then turn on the key for X-number of seconds and if the fuel supply line is not obstructed and the pump is working you should accumulate X-ounces in a specified amount of time.

Using this method you can verify the fuel lines, filters and pump.

·
Super Moderator
2,202 Posts
If you have access to the Technical Manual there should be a procedure for testing the lift pump. On my Gen-1 2-series they have you disconnect one of the rubber hoses and stick the hose in a graduated measuring cup. You then turn on the key for X-number of seconds and if the fuel supply line is not obstructed and the pump is working you should accumulate X-ounces in a specified amount of time.

Using this method you can verify the fuel lines, filters and pump.
Good call. This is all I found in the Tech Man:

NormalAppImage(1).png

1 - 9 of 9 Posts