Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Purchased a 1025R several weeks ago, which hopefully will be delivered tomorrow due to holidays and multiple dealer issues.

I need a rotary cutter, but can't decide between 48" 54" or 60".

First thought is the Frontier 48" but 1025R is right at 48" wide, and am concerned about ability to mow along fences.

Second thought is 54" but only brand I can find is a Woods, I have an old Woods 60" here and it is worst cutting mower I have ever used, but not sure why. It is also doesn't work with Imatch. Not sure if new 54" would work with Imatch or not.

Third thought is Frontier 60", but concerned it may be too big & heavy. I already have MX6, and purchased 1025R to get in tighter areas and 60" is only 12" smaller than MX6.

Dealer is 2.5 hours away, if I can decide I will get them to deliver cutter with tractor and save some driving.

PLEASE offer your thoughts & suggestions.

Thank you for your help.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Due to weight and as far back it hangs, a 48" is about the limit

:wgtt:

Reactions: EPP

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
Purchased a 1025R several weeks ago, which hopefully will be delivered tomorrow due to holidays and multiple dealer issues.

I need a rotary cutter, but can't decide between 48" 54" or 60".

First thought is the Frontier 48" but 1025R is right at 48" wide, and am concerned about ability to mow along fences.

Second thought is 54" but only brand I can find is a Woods, I have an old Woods 60" here and it is worst cutting mower I have ever used, but not sure why. It is also doesn't work with Imatch. Not sure if new 54" would work with Imatch or not.

Third thought is Frontier 60", but concerned it may be too big & heavy. I already have MX6, and purchased 1025R to get in tighter areas and 60" is only 12" smaller than MX6.

Dealer is 2.5 hours away, if I can decide I will get them to deliver cutter with tractor and save some driving.

PLEASE offer your thoughts & suggestions.

Thank you for your help.

I have a 60 inch LS Brand made by King Kutter on my 1025R and it handles it just fine. However, you do have to have the front weight to counter balance it. I have to mow with my FEL on to off set the weight. As far as power, I have found it to have plenty. Since you already have a 60 inch, I suggest you try it to see what you think. I understand that you may not want to stay with that particular mower long run, but it will give you an idea of whether you think that is a good size for you. I do use the iMatch on all my rear 3pt equipment and my mower does work with it.

Dave

Reactions: psrumors and EPP

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
I have a 60 inch LS Brand made by King Kutter on my 1025R and it handles it just fine. However, you do have to have the front weight to counter balance it. I have to mow with my FEL on to off set the weight. As far as power, I have found it to have plenty. Since you already have a 60 inch, I suggest you try it to see what you think. I understand that you may not want to stay with that particular mower long run, but it will give you an idea of whether you think that is a good size for you. I do use the iMatch on all my rear 3pt equipment and my mower does work with it.

Dave
This is good to know.

Thanks!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info, I did order the FIL, so I can use that for weight.

Btw, my land is flat so I don't have the issues some of you have with steep slopes.

·
Premium Member
2,904 Posts
I have the Frontier 48" and even though I wish it was wider a lot of the stuff I cut is so thick I don't think a wider mower would work for me with my 1026R. So I guess it depends on what you are cutting.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks for all the insights, it is what I was hoping for.

I know if I go with anything larger than 48" there will be times I won't have enough hp to take a full bite. But I can always take 1/2 bite after the first pass.

Using the rule of thumb of 5 pto hp per foot 20 hp is needed for 48".

Really struggling with decision, which is why I am asking for opinions.

Does anyone with SCUT "regret" getting a 48" or 60" cutter?

·
Registered
285 Posts
The previous post by Carvel Loafer is right...it depends on what you are going to be cutting with it. If you are just in light grass, not too tall, you might be able to to run 60". But if you are going to be in heavier brush or tall, thick grass, the 1025 will be underpowered for 60". I run a 48", and it has handled everything I wanted it to do with a fair amount of ease. Though in thicker, heavier stuff, even the 48" can make the tractor grunt. IMHO, the 48" is a good match for this tractor; 60" would be too much except maybe in light duty grass cutting; and I have often thought that a 54" might also be a good fit...but you may have to slow down or take a slightly smaller cut with it. And some weight on the front is a must with a rotary cutter on the 1025. My rig:

1025 rotarycutter.jpg

·
Registered
14 Posts
I use a 48" also, it is a good match for the 1025R. Weight would be a concern with the larger mowers.

Attachments

·
Corndog Hater
11,794 Posts
I use a 48" and it does what I need it to do. If my field was flat (there is a fairly steep drop off in one corner) I am confident the 1 series could handle a 60". But for stability and my comfort level, I will stick with the 48".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: BigJim55 and EPP

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
There has been a lot of discussion on here about the 48 inch vs 60 inch cutters for the 1 series tractors and I read all of them before I made my purchase. The one that made the most sense was the person who said if you bog down, just take a smaller swath. So I gambled on the 60 inch and have never been sorry. I cut in places that had not seen a mower in years and had no problem. With the 1025R, I was able to mow at full speed in low range. This was while taking a full swath. I think most people are underestimating what this little tractor can do. It still continues to amaze me. So think about all the times you can utilize the full 60 inch cut, whereas maybe occasionally you might have to take a smaller swath. Particularly if you have already cut it once and then come back a month later and mow it again, the full 60 inches would be really nice as it would be much easier to cut the second time. With the FEL on the front, the extra weight of the 60 inch cutter was not a problem. However, the one time I just needed to move the cutter and hooked up to it, I discovered real quick that I had no steering!!! I dropped the cutter down on the tail wheel and was able to move it the short distance needed.

I had plans to get a 72 inch rear finishing mower to use with it, before I upgraded to the 4066R, for which I will be using a 110 inch rear finishing mower. The 1025R did the job just fine, but in my "elder" years, I just wanted a cab tractor with a/c and heat!!!:lol: I will miss the MMM, however.

Dave

·
Registered
375 Posts
Once upon a time...

I had a John Deere 513 rotary cutter (5 ft) and sold it. In heavier grass, it was a pain. I'd have to stop and let it catch up, etc. I haven't replaced it with a 48 or 56 yet, but I'm starting to think the mmm I already have should do fine for my purposes. It, too, bogs down in heavier grass, but at least I'm saving money by only having one mower.

Reactions: BigJim55 and EPP

·
Registered
937 Posts
For the stuff I shred a 48" is all she'll handle. Even then I find myself coming to a crawl or having to stop at times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the info, I have narrowed it down to the 48", or the 54".

Still don't have tractor, it's been 21 days since I purchased it.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Been my experience that rotary mowers/shredders work better the slower they move, so with a full hydrostatic drive tractor pulling them it makes sense to go wider as long as you can fit the mower in the tight places you want to mow.

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
I have a 5 foot Modern that my tractor struggles to move around with. I have the 1025r and although I can pick it up the tractor hates it back there. Been thinking of selling it or preferably trading for a 48". I would love to have a flail mower though instead.

·
584 Posts
I don't sell any flail mowers for sub compacts. I don't know of one small enough that a 10 250 would handle. Flail mowers can get pretty heavy. I do sell frontier 48 rc.$ 1500.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts