Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had an interesting problem with my 1025R this week. I found that it would not start. All I heard was a clicking sound. At first I thought the battery was bad. Tried to use jumper cables to a good battery, but it still would not start. I removed the battery and had it tested, and it was good.

Tested the voltage at the starter and it was good. Removed the starter and tested it and it worked. Finally noticed that there was a burning smell and a small amount of smoke coming from the instrument panel when I tried to start the engine. Found that the throttle cable was getting hot and burning.

On a hunch, I removed and cleaned the grounding strap and wires. After cleaning and reattaching the ground wires, the engine started right up and the throttle cable did not smoke. So somehow a bad ground was causing a large amount of current to go through the throttle cable, which made the starter just click because it was not getting enough current.

Anyone ever run into this problem before? Any idea of why this happens?

·
Premium Member
18,942 Posts
Reactions: DaveDelux

·
Registered
63 Posts
Yep, system tried to ground thru throttle cable, I had a Pontiac that broke the ground strap to the body & the shift cable welded itself to its housing & I couldn't get the car back into park.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Which grounding strap and wires did you remove?
It was a braided strap and several wires that were bolted to the frame. Visible on the right side once the side panel is removed. Removed them and cleaned the connectors on the wire and the strap, then reattached them and that fixed the problem.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
I saw this many times on Old Automobiles and Tractors with Manual Chokes, the Choke Cable would actually get Red Hot if you had someone cranking while you were under the hood. Bad Ground Cables can cause all sorts of interesting issues and some you would never was the ground. Newer vehicles with computers are a whole new ball game where even a minor ground wire can drive you nuts.

Reactions: etcallhome
1 - 6 of 6 Posts