Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I was switching over to winter mode, and putting on my front mount blower, I noticed a ticking sound coming from the engine. It only happens at idle, and seems to go away as I increase rpms. I never noticed it before, but usually have hearing protection on when mowing. Should I be concerned?

2017 1025 r, just under 100 hours

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
ticking sound

With it at idle, raise the hood and look very carefully for something loose - maybe the air filter strap broke? Maybe the fan is hitting something? How fast is the ticking? Gently advance RPM and see when it goes away or if speeds up before going away. Is it in time with something moving - fan, alternator pulley, vibrations? Is it metallic sounding? A you retard throttle back to idle, at what RPM do you hear it? Is it louder at any other engine speed as you vary the throttle? Good luck.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
With it at idle, raise the hood and look very carefully for something loose - maybe the air filter strap broke? Maybe the fan is hitting something? How fast is the ticking? Gently advance RPM and see when it goes away or if speeds up before going away. Is it in time with something moving - fan, alternator pulley, vibrations? Is it metallic sounding? A you retard throttle back to idle, at what RPM do you hear it? Is it louder at any other engine speed as you vary the throttle? Good luck.
Air filter strap is broken, but replaced with a bungee cord. I can’t really find any other source. It goes away as I increase rpms, but it’s very noticeable at idle

·
Premium Member
8,856 Posts
Air filter strap is broken, but replaced with a bungee cord. I can’t really find any other source. It goes away as I increase rpms, but it’s very noticeable at idle
Are you still running the same engine oil from when it was new or has it been changed?

Is it right at start up or anytime the engine is at idle?

There is a restrictor cap on the injector pump which tends to rattle at idle making a ticking / rattling sound. Its a round metal cover / cap which is there to prevent consumers from changing the injector pump WOT and Idle speeds. It's actually a metal cover which is usually silver and "rattles" at idle. If that's the noise you are hearing, nothing to be concerned about.

It's number 9 in this illustration.....

John Deere Parts Catalog

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
Check the tightness of the 3 bolts holding the bracket to the valve cover about 20 foot pounds. Most likely one or more are loose even though they are nylocks. A couple drops of locktite to make it for sure.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts