Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,474 Posts
That's the tie rod for your swivel seat. They break often and there are quite a few posts about replacement Non-Deere parts.

BTW,

:wgtt:

Welcome from New York.

Reactions: kylew and PJR832

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
To me that looks like a piece of linkage from under the swivel seat assembly that is sold on the tractors with the backhoe option installed.
If it is then it has been noted on here that it is a weak component which many including myself have had fail.
I found that I can still manipulate my swivel seat without it but it is not as easy to do as it was with the tie rod.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Geez Tomfive, you beat me...:hi:

·
Registered
4,474 Posts
Reactions: BigJim55 and kylew

·
Super Moderator
2,448 Posts
I too got the stainless swivels from McMaster Carr, but I just straightened and re-used the original rod. One of the original swivels had broken and then the rod got jammed and bent. Mine's been working great every since I replaced just the swivels.

I believe the McMaster Carr number was 6058K32, as mentioned in the links Tomfive posted.

My 3 cents.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Kylew, I think I found my rod bent like the OP's.
I wasn't sure if it was deliberate or not and I have not repaired my seat yet.
Should I make it straight then before I re install it?
Thanks.

Reactions: BigJim55 and kylew

·
Super Moderator
2,448 Posts
Is been close to a year since I repaired mine, but it was bent similar to Bruckle's, maybe slightly less. I too wasn't sure if it was supposed to be deliberate, but if I recall I found some info at one time that it wasn't supposed to be, so I just straightened it with the vise and hammer. Figured I'd try and if it didn't work I could get a rod from McMaster Carr, but wanted to try to avoid cutting the new one to length and possibly cutting/continuing the threads.

Just looked at the tractor to verify....the (original) rod is straight, and has about 1/4"-5/16" of threads showing at each swivel. Plenty enough to allow for any in-out adjustment when installing.

Reactions: BigJim55 and Jeff B

·
Registered
381 Posts
I was back dragging my gravel driveway and was just about finished. I looked down next to my right foot and saw what appears to be a tie rod of some sorts. Does anyone know where it goes? I’ve looked and don’t see a spot.
Thanks in advance.
my cub cadet tiller had a long linkage that wanted to bend, so I weld a lenght of 1/2 x1/2 angle to it never had a problem since. It should work on that also

Reactions: BigJim55

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Tie rod ends

There was a thread or threads that spoke about replacement ends that fit the rod perfect and we’re stronger than JD. I regret not writing down the company name, # and price. Mine broke within the first year. Dealer replaced, but parts counter man explained that they had to replace whole seat. They can’t get just the rod end part. I said, are you kidding me? They said, out of warranty the price is very high. I have to find that thread and order them. I don’t see the JD ends lasting too long.

Reactions: kylew

·
Super Moderator
2,448 Posts
There was a thread or threads that spoke about replacement ends that fit the rod perfect and we’re stronger than JD. I regret not writing down the company name, # and price. Mine broke within the first year. Dealer replaced, but parts counter man explained that they had to replace whole seat. They can’t get just the rod end part. I said, are you kidding me? They said, out of warranty the price is very high. I have to find that thread and order them. I don’t see the JD ends lasting too long.
Could it be the McMaster Carr, number 6058K32, that was mentioned? That's what I used with the original rod. Did you see the links Tomfive posted?

IIRC, the rod & swivel assembly wasn't available separately at first, but due to a high number of warrenty claims, JD made them available individually, so they didn't have to "eat" the high cost of the seat assembly.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts