·
Registered
2,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last minute check before purchase. Thinking of getting from EA:
54" box blade
60" land leveler/plane
60" landscape rake + wheels

Looked last year and these stuck in my mind. EA says sizes are ok for 1025r, but have seen posts suggesting 48" are JD recommendations. Think, but have not verified yet, that the EA ones are JD QH compatible.

Tried to check what JD offers via Frontier, but can't find a simple chart that says model x, y and z are appropriate. Think shipping/delivery from EA and JD would pretty much be a wash, so sales tax would have to be considered as well as implement cost diff. I don't have a JD dealership close by, so service isn't much of a consideration.

·
Registered
3,419 Posts
Last minute check before purchase. Thinking of getting from EA:
54" box blade
60" land leveler/plane
60" landscape rake + wheels

Looked last year and these stuck in my mind. EA says sizes are ok for 1025r, but have seen posts suggesting 48" are JD recommendations. Think, but have not verified yet, that the EA ones are JD QH compatible.

Tried to check what JD offers via Frontier, but can't find a simple chart that says model x, y and z are appropriate. Think shipping/delivery from EA and JD would pretty much be a wash, so sales tax would have to be considered as well as implement cost diff. I don't have a JD dealership close by, so service isn't much of a consideration.
Diane,

For what it is worth, I purchased a 60" Tartar from TSC and traded it for a 48" Howes. The brand doesn't matter, but the larger one was a little much for my 1025R. Some might say, to take a little less bite, but in reality, when the box blade filled up with dirt, and it of course does, I didn't have enough tractor (traction) to pull it. I was constantly having to stop, let some dirt out and then continue to rinse and repeat. With the tines at max depth, the 60" would stop me in my tracks when it filled up with dirt, which it did quickly. Filling a box blade up with dirt is the point of using one, but you need to be able to pull it.

·
Premium Member
1,043 Posts
I've been very happy with my aerator and pine needle rake from EA. They were helpful during the purchase and I really like their videos. Email them and they'll let you know about the quick hitch compatibility for your selections. I like the fact that they carry spare tines, and I ordered a few of each.

My aerator works fine with the quick hitch. The pine needle rake does not, but it's not a big deal. They also don't offer implements in JD green, so you have to be okay with that or like to paint implements.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
I have the 48” BB and my 1025 spins when full of rocks. So I’d feel a 54 may be a little much. Prolly ok most of the time though but I can’t compare.

Wish i could help with the 60” rake 60” land plane I bought but haven’t even hooked them up since I got the 2025. All are frontier. The 48” BB is the L version. Pretty sure the land plane is the L version also for the 1025. I can check if you want me to.

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've been very happy with my aerator and pine needle rake from EA. They were helpful during the purchase and I really like their videos. Email them and they'll let you know about the quick hitch compatibility for your selections. I like the fact that they carry spare tines, and I ordered a few of each.

My aerator works fine with the quick hitch. The pine needle rake does not, but it's not a big deal. They also don't offer implements in JD green, so you have to be okay with that or like to paint implements.
I've talked them too, and impressed with their hand-holding and availablity of parts. Just forgot to ask about QH yesterday when I called to get shipping info - I'm outside of their 1000 mi "free" range. Not thrilled that I'd have to look at Kubota orange, but they're implements, not LR furniture. :laugh:

I have the 48” BB and my 1025 spins when full of rocks. So I’d feel a 54 may be a little much. Prolly ok most of the time though but I can’t compare.

Wish i could help with the 60” rake 60” land plane I bought but haven’t even hooked them up since I got the 2025. All are frontier. The 48” BB is the L version. Pretty sure the land plane is the L version also for the 1025. I can check if you want me to.
Model # would be nice. The plus for me of Frontier is that they ARE QH compatible. When I talked to a JD sales last year, he basically said "find what you want and I'll get it for you..." To be fair, he knew that I wouldn't be ordering in the immediate future.

Main reason I'm looking at the wider implements is to extend beyond tires. 90% of the planned usage of the rake & plane is for maint of existing gravel driveway. Do have some small surface rocks that I'm hoping the rake can handle. Only usage that we can think of right now for BB is adding some drainage to side of driveway where it get washed during heavy rains. Actually, only planning to get BB because it's much less expensive to get it now with the other 2 than to find we need it later.

·
Registered
23,057 Posts
I've talked them too, and impressed with their hand-holding and availablity of parts. Just forgot to ask about QH yesterday when I called to get shipping info - I'm outside of their 1000 mi "free" range. Not thrilled that I'd have to look at Kubota orange, but they're implements, not LR furniture. :laugh:

Model # would be nice. The plus for me of Frontier is that they ARE QH compatible. When I talked to a JD sales last year, he basically said "find what you want and I'll get it for you..." To be fair, he knew that I wouldn't be ordering in the immediate future.

Main reason I'm looking at the wider implements is to extend beyond tires. 90% of the planned usage of the rake & plane is for maint of existing gravel driveway. Do have some small surface rocks that I'm hoping the rake can handle. Only usage that we can think of right now for BB is adding some drainage to side of driveway where it get washed during heavy rains. Actually, only planning to get BB because it's much less expensive to get it now with the other 2 than to find we need it later.
Remember when using a rake you have to take into account of it being angled. When you set a 60” rake at an angle the coverage might be only 50” or less.

Also a rake isn’t going to have half the pull as a box blade or land plane as far as drag on the machine.

·
Registered
474 Posts
I run a 5' box grader on my 1025r and a 7' landscape rake. The rake is too big but borrowed so...

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Dumb me. It’s in my signature. Guess I been hanging around Gizmo to much around here.

In my opinion the 48” BB will be fine since you will have the LP. You will do the General work with the BB and the. Fine tune with the LP
I’m not sure your yard but I use the BB a lot. Spreading rocks & dirt. I back into and push over bushes and over grown weeds. General usage ballast. Maintain drive(I have LP now) you may still need to dig up the driveway and all with the scarfers.
In my usage I feel I’d much rather stick with the 48” one. Only thing I’d reconsider is getting the 48” NON L. The regular 48” has an extra scarfer and weigh a little more. I’d want it mainly for the extra scarfer so I can tear stuff up faster.

All frontiers L models are supposedly made more for the 1025

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
I run a 5' box grader on my 1025r and a 7' landscape rake. The rake is too big but borrowed so...
Got some pros and cons, or hates or likes about the 5’

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Here is where I go to check everything.

John Deere

I’ll try my best to try out the land plane and rake in the next couple of evenings if I can get home and it don’t rain. I been dying to get out and play. Just been working 24/7 think I’ve had about 8 days off since a month before thanks giving. Grapple is the only thing I’ve installed and played with for a minute.

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here is where I go to check everything.

John Deere

I’ll try my best to try out the land plane and rake in the next couple of evenings if I can get home and it don’t rain. I been dying to get out and play. Just been working 24/7 think I’ve had about 8 days off since a month before thanks giving. Grapple is the only thing I’ve installed and played with for a minute.
I found that that brochure is almost useless to me - just a bunch of model numbers with no info on differences. Like, why did you buy the model that you did vs another listed? Probably just 'cause that's what the local JD had in stock. At least your mention that the L is targeted for 1 Series helps. The 1025r PTO is claimed to be 18 hp, right?

Know you've been up to your neck in work. Don't worry about testing your toys on my account since I'll probably want to purchase before you can fit it into your schedule. I'm a bit west of you and we've been having rain the last few days, so I'd expect Mother Nature isn't going to cooperate.

Got to get it into my brain that I can't just ask about QH, it's JD iMatch QH compatible that I want. :banghead:

·
Registered
474 Posts
Got some pros and cons, or hates or likes about the 5’
Never had a problem. It is the same width as the tractor so I think it is a perfect size. If I get really aggressive and lose some traction I just scoop a load in the FEL and continue. I don't see a downside to 5'.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Littlegreenmachine

·
Registered
536 Posts
I am almost doing NO commercial work so I want implements that do not overload my tractor.

I have the 48" Frontier Box Blade (planer?) with the push blade for when I back up. While I have on a couple of occasions been stopped while using it, it was because of either a large rock or root.

I would not get a larger Box Blade.

This tool allowed me to do a lot leveling on the property.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
I found that that brochure is almost useless to me - just a bunch of model numbers with no info on differences. Like, why did you buy the model that you did vs another listed? Probably just 'cause that's what the local JD had in stock. At least your mention that the L is targeted for 1 Series helps. The 1025r PTO is claimed to be 18 hp, right?

Know you've been up to your neck in work. Don't worry about testing your toys on my account since I'll probably want to purchase before you can fit it into your schedule. I'm a bit west of you and we've been having rain the last few days, so I'd expect Mother Nature isn't going to cooperate.

Got to get it into my brain that I can't just ask about QH, it's JD iMatch QH compatible that I want. :banghead:
Hey now. I need a reason to to play. Don’t try and stop me lol.

I made my decision on countless hours of reading everyone’s opinions on here and making a thread and then making a final decision after over anylising it all lol. My memory is horrible so now that I’m done with it I only remember bits and pieces :(.
I believe the hugest factory of the L series is that the implements are shorter to accomadate the limited cat 1 lift height of the 1025. Lighter weight also. I want to say the 48”L is about 275lbs where as the non L is about 80-100lbs more.
So basically is it has an L it should have zero problems. With height and weight.

Never had a problem. It is the same width as the tractor so I think it is a perfect size. If I get really aggressive and lose some traction I just scoop a load in the FEL and continue. I don't see a downside to 5'.

Since I mentioned height above do you have and use any type of quick hitch? If so any problems with getting the BB on and off?

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
I am almost doing NO commercial work so I want implements that do not overload my tractor.

I have the 48" Frontier Box Blade (planer?) with the push blade for when I back up. While I have on a couple of occasions been stopped while using it, it was because of either a large rock or root.

I would not get a larger Box Blade.

This tool allowed me to do a lot leveling on the property.

Good luck!
This right here is kinda why I stuck with the L series. I have 3 acres. If I had a 12’ wide x 1 mile drive and some type of dirt arena and needed to work on both every day I’d prolly go bigger. Since everything I will work on is rather manageable I stuck with the smaller.

·
Registered
474 Posts

I made my decision on countless hours of reading everyone’s opinions on here and making a thread and then making a final decision after over anylising it all lol. My memory is horrible so now that I’m done with it I only remember bits and pieces :(.
I believe the hugest factory of the L series is that the implements are shorter to accomadate the limited cat 1 lift height of the 1025. Lighter weight also. I want to say the 48”L is about 275lbs where as the non L is about 80-100lbs more.
So basically is it has an L it should have zero problems. With height and weight.

Since I mentioned height above do you have and use any type of quick hitch? If so any problems with getting the BB on and off?
I use front weights in the standard position. No issues at all with it.

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Stop you? No way. I'd love to hear.

Kindda where I'm at right now. I'd spent tons of time last fall, but "things" came up before doing anything about it. At least I didn't change tractors mid-way in implement selection like some some folks I know... :laugh:

That's one of the things that I like about the EA Landshark line - they are designed for the light tractors. Their 48" BB is 275 lb; the 54" is 295 lb.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Stop you? No way. I'd love to hear.

Kindda where I'm at right now. I'd spent tons of time last fall, but "things" came up before doing anything about it. At least I didn't change tractors mid-way in implement selection like some some folks I know... :laugh:

That's one of the things that I like about the EA Landshark line - they are designed for the light tractors. Their 48" BB is 275 lb; the 54" is 295 lb.
When do you plan to purchase? Like before Friday or within 2-3 weeks?

Yeah. Think that was the same time I was which was the same time I was following you and looking into T&T since I’d love to have it and knew I was getting a grapple for sure ASAP. Good thing was it’s the 2025r gen 2 so I stuck with the same implements on the new purchase and kept my BB from the old purchase. I think I only upgraded so i could roll all the new stuff into the % interest and get bigger tires while at it :).

I’d hate to be in your shoes. That 54” does sound tempting with the more weight. I read more weight the better when I first made my decision. And eventually said I can always add weight if I needed.
I truly believe either way you will be fine. Like me you won’t know the difference if you would have went with the “other” size BB. Look at like this. Going bigger will be like having a smaller tractor. You have to be smarter at each project. The 54” will probably do it you will just have to take less bite at a time while on the other hand you will go faster with the easier stuff. So I would probably just go with the easiest and best deal.

·
Registered
747 Posts
I have a LandPride GS0560 grading scraper and if I could do it over, I'd have gone with the 48" one. The 60" can stop me dead if it fills up. If youdo go 60" be sure to get one that has an adjustable cutting depth.

There's nothing wrong with the GS0560, in my case it just needs to be pulled by a bigger tractor..

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
When do you plan to purchase? Like before Friday or within 2-3 weeks?
I was hoping for today or tomorrow, but not looking likely at this point. Want to get JD quotes and show hubby videos again to refresh his memory; neither has happened yet. Please don't look at this as yet another "job". If you get to try it out, fine; if not, no big deal. No pressure.

I have a LandPride GS0560 grading scraper and if I could do it over, I'd have gone with the 48" one. The 60" can stop me dead if it fills up. If youdo go 60" be sure to get one that has an adjustable cutting depth.

There's nothing wrong with the GS0560, in my case it just needs to be pulled by a bigger tractor..
The 60" Land Plane is the one I've really got questions about possibly being a tad too big, but think having the tire track coverage would be advantageous. Dunno. The EA specs do say "Height adjustable scraper blades." I guess if we get it and it really is too big, the "cure" is to not allow too much material to accumulate at one time by lifting the unit periodically. Right?

Not a whole lot of confidence in my closest JD dealership. Asked for prices and just got an email for non xxxxL plane & rake, no box blade and no wheels for rake. :nunu: But they have them in stock and could deliver in 2 days. :laugh:

1 - 20 of 49 Posts