Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need a land plane - I think...
The box blade is OK for makng driveways, but the plane would be faster and give a smoother surface - I think...

So do I go with 4' or 5' unit? This is for basically flat ground. Set up the dirt road base, then gravel it. There are NO rocks in the dirt or the underlying soil. It's hard, but can be ripped with the boxblade or a land plane with scarifiers.
I have to make 3 driveways:
1. 10-12' wide x 100' long
2. 10-12' wide x 350' long
3. 50' wide x 30' long
Then I'll have to maintain them. The wide one will get the most use. None are public use and none abutt public property or roads.

You guys are experienced, so I'm asking:
Is it better to use the 3 PT hitch or get one with wheels?
What's the best bang for the buck? Cost is a factor.
Is the 5' too much for my tractor?

I've searched and can't find a deal on a new one and can't find a used one. I'm in Sacramento, CA. Thanks for your help.

Reactions: pcabe5 and BigJim55

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
I can not imagine a 1,400 pound tractor with 26" tires pulling a 4 foot landplane.

I should clarify,, it will pull it, but, not effectively,,,

Rent a skidsteer,,, develop the roads, then figure out what you need to maintain the road,,,

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,269 Posts
You might have already checked it but if you haven't...check out DR. They have one that might be what you're looking for, with remote. :dunno:

Reactions: BigJim55

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
According to all of Deere's online literature for their Land Planes, the recommendation is a 48".

Land Pride is the same, 48" for your power rating.

·
Premium Member
10,067 Posts
I haven't seen a land plane with wheels, they've all been three point. There are some grader boxes and pull type graders with wheels, but most of those are built for full size ag tractors and only have a single blade.

I think a 4' land plane would be the best match for a 1 series. Heavier ground engaging implements are more effective, and a well built 5' might be difficult for the tractor to lift as well as pull.

·
Registered
23,026 Posts
I haven't seen a land plane with wheels, they've all been three point. There are some grader boxes and pull type graders with wheels, but most of those are built for full size ag tractors and only have a single blade.

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
1025R pulls

I can not imagine a 1,400 pound tractor with 26" tires pulling a 4 foot landplane.

I should clarify,, it will pull it, but, not effectively,,,

Rent a skidsteer,,, develop the roads, then figure out what you need to maintain the road,,,
I've cut out and levelled a 1\2 mile drainage ditch that was 6' across and 3' deep using the heavy Frontier box blade with 4 scarifiers in this dirt. I also filled it up and scraped it again to make a road. The levelling for my 40' x 50' steel building foundation was all done with the 1025R. I'm certain it'll handle a 48" plane, but uncertain it'll handle a 60" .

Reactions: BigJim55 and Levi

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
48 vs 60

According to all of Deere's online literature for their Land Planes, the recommendation is a 48".

Yes, that's true, but I see they also recommend 48" loader buckets and plenty of guys use larger ones, so maybe a 60" plane would work? Just asking if anyone's doing it.

Reactions: BigJim55 and Levi

·
Registered
572 Posts

Randy,

I hate to disagree with the more experienced guys, but I'm not seeing the same thing.

Land Plane Specs.png

Unlike most specs charts which list the required PTO horsepower, this one is engine HP. A 1025 is ~23 HP. So if I'm reading this correctly, the LP1060 is 30HP MAX, and the LP1160 is good for 18-50 HP. Even if this is a misprint and it was supposed to be PTO HP, the 1025 PTO is 18 HP.

So this tells me, you can pull all the way up to a 6 foot Frontier Land Plane with a 1025R. Perhaps I'm misreading the specs chart or you have other conflicting information?

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
no dealer demo

Is there a dealer that will let you demo a couple models? That would tell you for sure what your tractor could handle.
No dealer co-operative attitude on smaller tractors here.

Reactions: pcabe5

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
So this tells me, you can pull all the way up to a 6 foot Frontier Land Plane with a 1025R. Perhaps I'm misreading the specs chart or you have other conflicting information?
That chart is perfectly adequate for using a landplane to skitter along moving some loose gravel from high spots to low spots.
The OP asks about creating a roadbed.

The chart is useless in that situation. Watch the video previously posted,, that landplane can not move any material that is tight.

I will park my 7 foot landplane on my gravel driveway,,, with $200 setting on top of it.
If someone brings over their 1025R, and hook to the landplane, and moves it more than 100 feet,,,

THEY CAN HAVE THE $200!!

A 1,400 pound machine can not move 1,400 pounds of attachment and material,,,
That is the physics of the situation,,,

·
Fit Rite Hydraulics
660 Posts
Yes, that's true, but I see they also recommend 48" loader buckets and plenty of guys use larger ones, so maybe a 60" plane would work? Just asking if anyone's doing it.
While A LOT of people use attachments that are larger than they should be for their machine, they only use them, they do not work them to their upper capacities. Can you pull a 60" LPGS, yes you can. Can you pull it in tough conditions, very doubtful. Same goes for the guys using 5' buckets, get it full of dirt or rock, if they can even get it full and they can't even pick it up. There are reasons that there are different size and weight classes of implements, because different sizes and weights are needed for different machines with different capabilities.

Here is a 60" LPGS, weighs 800lbs empty, your tractor will not even pick it up let alone be able to pull it. It gets used behind a 5000lb 32HP machine. Plenty of HP, but it struggles traction wise when the unit gets filled with damp material. Same thing applies to my 75HP 12,000lb machine. It's all it wants pulling a 1400lb 7 foot LPGS filled with damp material. Picture shows about the maximum comfortable amount of material to be moved-worked with this setup. It can move more, a lot more, but you have to keep a constant eye on it when it is full.

Find a good 48" unit and be happy. :bigthumb:

Attachments

·
Registered
572 Posts
That chart is perfectly adequate for using a landplane to skitter along moving some loose gravel from high spots to low spots.
The OP asks about creating a roadbed.

The chart is useless in that situation. Watch the video previously posted,, that landplane can not move any material that is tight.

I will park my 7 foot landplane on my gravel driveway,,, with $200 setting on top of it.
If someone brings over their 1025R, and hook to the landplane, and moves it more than 100 feet,,,

THEY CAN HAVE THE $200!!

A 1,400 pound machine can not move 1,400 pounds of attachment and material,,,
That is the physics of the situation,,,
That video was posted by coaltrain to show a land plane with wheels. Someone stated they hadn't seen one before. From a weight perspective, it's not a valid comparison to even the smallest Frontier. The one in the video weighs 187 pound, plus another 28 lbs for the cinderblock used brings us to 215 lbs. The frontier 5 foot is 493 lbs, the 6 footer is 548 lbs. That's 333 lbs more than the video.

If you have the 7 foot model LP1207, I'll stay home and save us both the trouble because Mother Deere's chart says its too big for the 1025R. :flag_of_truce:

Now since your only 2.5 hours away from me, If you've got a 7 foot Frontier 604 lb model LP1184, and a trailer to get my tractor there & back, I'll take you up on that offer now. I'll buy you your choice of a beer or a coffee, win loose or draw. I'll even split the gas money with you. It would be fun to test it out, especially while my 1025R is under warranty :)

I have no experience in building a road, so I'll defer to someone that has. I'm just trying to apply what I read and some common sense observation to answer his original question: Can a "1025R TLB pull a 5' land plane?". He said there are no rocks, but hard dirt that can be ripped with scarifiers. :dunno:

P.S. Since you a fellow Virginian, I should have offered Sweet Tea as well. :)

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
48" is fine

Thanks for some well thought out replies. Some of you have good experience. Some have a very limited knowledge of physics. Others are realistic.

I had a simple question. Thanks again for the input. I'll build the roadbeds with my box and maintain them with a 48" grader/plane when I find a decent deal on one. It seems like they're available everywhere East of the Mississippi.:banghead:

Reactions: FredHickory

·
Registered
673 Posts
I also have a gravel driveway and use the box blade to remove potholes and get the driveway back in shape. I find that the landscape rake with wheels works great for the final touch.

Doug

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts