Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, broke the infamous swivel seat linkage rod on my swivel seat again!:banghead: This rod broke on mine last year when the tractor was still under warranty. JD replaced the entire swivel under warranty at that time.

My tractor is out of the two year overall tractor warranty, although, my dealer is going to check with JD to try to get them to step up. :nunu:Especially since it was replaced before.

Anyway, I noticed JD has now updated the seat swivel. Don't know what they changed. Hope they made this linkage rod and rod ends out of 8 mm components rather than the 6 mm that it is currently made of or maybe just some higher quality components.

The problem is, the stud breaks off the one rod end. Just not heavy enough components!!!!

I took it apart to investigate the problem. The rod ends that JD is using for this linkage rod are just not very high quality. They look like rod ends that are used on gas cylinders.

I found some 6 mm rod eyes at McMaster-Carr that are better quality and will be an exact fit. If JD doesn't step up, I will be upgrading to these rod ends.
Heck, I may upgrade even if JD does step up.
McMaster-Carr

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,743 Posts
For 4.81 for each end I would. Looks like a easy swap out. Good luck

Reactions: Levi

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Yeah.
Let us know if the MMC pieces fit and are a good upgrade.:good2:l

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
Sometimes Ray, you just gotta do, what ya gotta do. :thumbup1gif:

·
Premium Member
2,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update! I actually took the time this afternoon to actually measure the thread size on the OEM linkage rod. I actually guessed that it was 6 mm. Well, it's not. The OEM linkage rod is 1/4 - 28 thread. It is not metric. I know, I checked the thread three times to make sure. It is definitely 1/4" - 28 UNF :dunno: and mine is the OEM swivel that was replaced under warranty.
So, update on the new rod end swivels.
Since they are UNF 1/4-28 thread, I decided to go with the Stainless Steel rod ends that McMaster Carr has.
I placed the order, should have them on Friday. I will post pictures on the update.
I believe these should be a direct replacement.
Stay tuned!!! :thumbup1gif:

McMaster-Carr

·
Registered
35 Posts
JD has an updated swivel seat linkage rod. Part # LVA21553

·
Premium Member
2,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
JD has an updated swivel seat linkage rod. Part # LVA21553
Do you know what JD changed on this linkage assembly. I know they updated the swivel which includes an updated linkage rod but I don't know what they changed.
Also, JD wants over $100.00 for the linkage rod assembly. This linkage assembly amounts to a 1/4" - 28 threaded rod with a swivel rod end on each end. Probably about $25.00 worth of components.

Reactions: Firemark

·
Premium Member
2,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Update:
I received the stainless steel rod ends from McMaster Carr today.

McMaster-Carr

These rods ends are a direct replacement for the lessor quality rod ends that JD used OEM on the pre-updated swivel assembly.

I am sure that these stainless steel rod ends and the much better design of these rod ends will make the entire linkage a much stronger assembly. The linkage rod has 1/4"-28 RH thread on both ends so the rod ends are both RH thread.

The two rod ends plus shipping was less than $20.00, allot less than the $100.00 + that JD wants for the OEM linkage assembly. I don't know if the JD updated linkage is any better or not. I do know this is better. How long this will last, we'll see, but I believe this will last. :thumbup1gif:

Here are a few pictures that shows the installation and the steps to follow. This entire replacement will take about 1 hour if you take your time, probably less.

1. I removed the seat. Four 5 mm socket head screws (requires 5 mm allen wrench).

2. Rotate the seat plate into the BH position. While rotating the plate, tilt the seat plate slightly toward the steering wheel so that the seat tilt lock doesn't engage. After rotating the seat plate, tilt it front so that it leans against the steering wheel.

3. Remove the old linkage rod ends. You will probably have to loosen the 4 - 14mm capscrews that hold the swivel together to gain enough clearance to remove the nut from the one rod end. I didn't remove the 14mm capscrews, I just loosened them.

4. Attach the one new rod end to the swivel lower plate attaching point. Use the OEM 1/4-28 locking hex nuts and flat washers.

5. Thread the 6" long linkage rod into the first rod end.

6. Thread the other rod end to the other end of the linkage rod far enough so that the male thread of the second rod end aligns with it's mounting hole. Attach this rod end.

7. Tilt the seat down and rotate it back to the front. Test the operation.

8. If the seat latch doesn't clear the seat plate when rotating, dis-connect the second rod end and thread it onto the linkage rod one turn. This will shorten the linkage rod assembly slightly. Re-attach the rod end and test again.

8. Attach the seat

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, heard back from JD concerning them stepping up on the seat swivel. They basically said, they now have just the linkage rod available to purchase from JD parts. FYI.... in the past, they did not list the linkage rod for the 1025R in their parts breakdown, they only listed the entire seat swivel at that time.
So, they are saying, it isn't a big part so since we have just this part available now, you can buy it.

I didn't expect that JD would do anything about this linkage rod on the seat swivel. My dealer chose to pursue it, so I just said, go ahead. That said, I didn't wait on JD. As you have seen earlier in this thread, I already have a fix for the swivel seat linkage rod which is much better and stronger than the OEM JD linkage rod.

Mine works great now and probably will not break again!!! :thumbup1gif:

Reactions: blue87fj60

·
Registered
41 Posts
Ray_PA, just wanted to thank you for all the information and detail you put into your thread. I went ahead and bought the ends from McMasters, using your link. Followed your directions, easy peasy!
I was able to remove the broken tie rod end without loosening the 4-14mm cap screws.

:bigbeer::bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
2,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ray_PA, just wanted to thank you for all the information and detail you put into your thread. I went ahead and bought the ends from McMasters, using your link. Followed your directions, easy peasy!
I was able to remove the broken tie rod end without loosening the 4-14mm cap screws.

:bigbeer::bigthumb:
GREAT!!! I maybe loosened the bolts prior to REALLY trying to get the nut off the top rod end. It looked close to me so I loosened the bolts to gain a little more clearance.
I believe these rods ends will hold up!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just had the same thing happen on the 2305 I traded. If you need a readily available part you can buy the ends with the ball installed from ace hardware. They are in one of the misc. drawers

·
Registered
448 Posts
Did JD upgrade the seat frame??

Does anyone know if JD actually upgraded their seat frame on the 1025? I have a 2014, broke the infamous link on the seat like many others, found out min was still under warranty so I ran it in there, today they told me they had to order a $1,800 seat frame. Seems excessive but whatever!! Just curious if anyone has had their dealer replace the frame with upgraded or just standard frame because they don't know how to look up the parts that broke:dunno:

·
Premium Member
2,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Does anyone know if JD actually upgraded their seat frame on the 1025? I have a 2014, broke the infamous link on the seat like many others, found out min was still under warranty so I ran it in there, today they told me they had to order a $1,800 seat frame. Seems excessive but whatever!! Just curious if anyone has had their dealer replace the frame with upgraded or just standard frame because they don't know how to look up the parts that broke:dunno:
The TLB seat swivel has been upgraded although I don't personally know what has been changed. I assume JD made some changes to the swivel linkage rod ends that continually break but not sure.
The attached parts listing shows the updated part number.

Attachments

Reactions: KE8LW

·
Registered
338 Posts
Wondering about using a set of these plus a grade 8 bolt to hold it together.

McMaster-Carr

·
Premium Member
2,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Wondering about using a set of these plus a grade 8 bolt to hold it together.

McMaster-Carr
Might work. The only issue you may have is that the bolt head may not allow the ball joint to angle far enough. The swivel seat linkage rod actually has a pretty step angle. The bolt head may restrict the angle.

·
Registered
448 Posts

This is the upgraded seat frame. Basically its a larger 5/16" rod then turned down on the end and give it room to slide and not have the angles quite so steep. Thanks to warranty!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
106 Posts
What are the basic differences from the old seat and the upgraded seat? Is it only the seat rod issue or any other changes? Will the new rod assembly work on the old seat setup? I like the idea of the floating rod vs the threaded one. :greentractorride:

·
Registered
448 Posts
Seat Rod update-

Dennis -

The only difference that I notice is the rod itself.
1. its a 5/16" rod vs a 1/4"
2. on one end it has the slide and ball joint - the other end is same old style ball joint.

I suspect that they made it slide to eliminate the hard angles - actually a decent idea. The part I still don't understand is why you can purchase the rod link asm for $100 but under warranty they replaced the entire seat frame for a mere $1,815.00 that part doesn't make sense.

Going back a few years I know when work at Ford/ Jeep / Eagle dealership - quite a few parts were available if a customer wanted to buy it out right but if it was covered under warranty you had to buy a ridiculous part in order for the dealer and mechanic to get paid. One part that comes to mind was soft top jeep. Customer had zip up window scratched, and in order for me to get this window I had to order the entire soft top and frame. crazy price!!! Then when it came in for me I unzipped the window and zipped the new window in only then sold the new soft top on ebay new with one scratched window -

·
Premium Member
2,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

This is the upgraded seat frame. Basically its a larger 5/16" rod then turned down on the end and give it room to slide and not have the angles quite so steep. Thanks to warranty!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It will be interesting to see if this JD upgrade lasts!! The one rod end that can slide on the rod is interesting.

Reactions: KE8LW
1 - 20 of 33 Posts