Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 122 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted a somewhat similar question about purchasing a 1025R a few weeks back, but I was wondering how many of you have a 1025R for an acre or less? I know TTWT said in one of his videos that he originally only had half an acre when he purchased his first 1025R. Does anyone else have a 1025R for a relatively small plot of land or is it ridiculous to have a subcompact for that small of an area? To save a lot of typing, I think most of us already know and understand the "It depends on what you are going to use it for," response. On an acre of land, you have mowing, minor landscaping (mulch, moving wood possibly, maybe snow, occasional dirt moving), and maybe pulling a roller or small trailer. Just curious on everyone's thoughts.

·
Premium Member
1,689 Posts
If you enjoy it, who cares. Life is short. I love these things. I love using them, servicing them, arguing over the best oil for them. I love having a diesel. If you feel the same, it’s not too big. It’s just right.

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
It's bigger than I need for my 1 acre (half wooded) lot but it offers much more capability than a lawn or garden tractor. Plus, as I get older the manual upkeep gets tougher, so until I retire and downsize (if that actually happens) I'm going to enjoy the versatility the 1025R will give me (once it gets here).

·
Registered
3,016 Posts
I have 2 acres with a little over an acre of it mowable grass. I can mow it all, front and back inside 2 hours. And that’s not flying over it full forward pedal. In low gear. Most of my dirt moving and clearing tasks are done, but there’s always some improvements to do that a shovel and wheelbarrow make an armchair quarterback will procrastinate doing.
While I’m on my back porch enjoying a cold drink, my neighbors are still push mowing their yard that is a lot smaller. Enjoy your oversized lawn mower! I do

·
Registered
88 Posts
Shoot, I have a 1\2 acre.. haven't used the 54" mower yet.. but sure have used all kinds of my other attachments I purchased ..... alot!

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
I would have loved a 1025R when I lived on a 5/8 acre lot in the 'burbs. My only issue would have been that my particular lot was not well suited (oddball slopes, ledges, etc.) for a small tractor. As it was, I used a Gravely walk-behind tractor for my lawn maintenance. It was much more capable than anything that any of my neighbors had and several of them called me "Tim the Tool Man" (even though my name is MARK!) after "Home Improvement". But they sure liked it when I used it to clear snowfalls that were too much for their shovels or their little single stage blowers.

As others have said, if you want it, get it! As long as you can maneuver it on your property, you're good! You will be amazed - as I'm sure that TTWT was - just how much use you can get out of it on a residential lot.

·
Registered
889 Posts
People get hung up on acreage to much. It could be someone with a few acres needs a 60hp machine and a guy with a 1000 acres only needs a push mower to mow a small area around his house. It all depends on your needs and how you use the land.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've been going back and forth over if my bank account wants it as much as I do. I have the money for it, it's just that I like money also hahahaha! Then I had a stump removed this weekend and moved 7 trailer load of mulch from one end of the lawn to the other, then had to till the area where the tree was, then drag it to level it out. We used a Husqvarna lawnmower that wasn't happy pulling the trailer loads of mulch back and forth, a fourwheeler to pull the drag, rakes, shovels, a lot of arm and back muscles, and about 2 cases of bottled water. It took the better part of two days. I told my girlfriend halfway through the 2nd day "You know, the tractor probably would've made this a two-hour job tops."

·
Premium Member
13,911 Posts
I posted a somewhat similar question about purchasing a 1025R a few weeks back, but I was wondering how many of you have a 1025R for an acre or less?
I have a X500 for mowing and a 2720 for all other duties. I only have 0.58 acres and couldn’t be happier. 😎

·
Registered
523 Posts
  • had a stump removed
  • moved 7 trailer load of mulch
  • till the area where the tree was,
  • then drag it to level it out.
Sounds like your work is done. Why buy a tractor now? :unsure:

All seriousness aside, my wife insisted we get a tractor as she was tired of helping with the shovel/wheelbarrow tasks that I kept coming up with. I had a new 1025R on order in 2018. Had last second worries and called the salesman up and asked if it was to late to change to a 2 series. Long story short he was at another of their dealer ready to load up our new 1025R when a 2015 2032R with a snowblower newly attached came driving out of the shop. He loaded it up instead. We always keep finding plenty of chores for it. Like Jay Gayman, couldn't be happier. And more importantly, the wife, too.

·
Registered
36 Posts
If you enjoy it, who cares. Life is short. I love these things. I love using them, servicing them, arguing over the best oil for them. I love having a diesel. If you feel the same, it’s not too big. It’s just right.
exactly! Using mine on 2.5 acres, I have other means of completing some of the tasks I bought it for, but this statement is part of the reason I bought mine!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I posted a somewhat similar question about purchasing a 1025R a few weeks back, but I was wondering how many of you have a 1025R for an acre or less? I know TTWT said in one of his videos that he originally only had half an acre when he purchased his first 1025R. Does anyone else have a 1025R for a relatively small plot of land or is it ridiculous to have a subcompact for that small of an area? To save a lot of typing, I think most of us already know and understand the "It depends on what you are going to use it for," response. On an acre of land, you have mowing, minor landscaping (mulch, moving wood possibly, maybe snow, occasional dirt moving), and maybe pulling a roller or small trailer. Just curious on everyone's thoughts.
I have a 1025 with the Mauser Cab, and I only have about 3/4 of an acre of land. This machine makes me smile every time I get to use it, whether it is used mowing or being the best 4 wheel drive wheelbarrow around. When New England weather turns nasty in the winter my plow setup beats a frozen snow blower hands down. I can always find a new project to tackle with the versatility this little tractor offers than compared to a simple lawn tractor, the choice is still up to you.

·
Registered
81 Posts
As I get older it has become my wheel barrel. Anything heavy or cumbersome gets moved with the tractor. I’ve also used it all summer building a new deck, hanging joists, moving lumber etc. it has become a valuable tool from a productivity perspective and saving my back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,454 Posts
Life is too short and things can change in a moment, do what makes you happy!

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Mine was on .9 acres
Loved it loader is best backsaver known to man

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have a 1023e to play with on around 3/4 acre i also have a gt235 and an old 214 but i usally use the23 for mowing and i enjoy swapping out attachments on it you wont regret getting one there lots of fun

·
Registered
925 Posts
I didn't really need a 1025 either, but it was the smallest offering JD currently has with a factory loader. It really saves my back so I'm not a bit sorry I bought it.

·
Premium Member
263 Posts
I have acres, 3 of which I maintain. My 1025R is not just a big lawn mower. I use it to till my half acre garden. I can also spray my lawn and garden with it. I rake pine straw with it. I have about 45 pine trees so we're talking about a lot of straw and it takes less than a half day instead of 2 or d days. I would never go back and it has been worth every penny.

1 - 20 of 122 Posts