Green Tractor Talk banner

1025R Too Much Tractor

26K views 140 replies 66 participants last post by  The kilted mower 
#1 ·
I posted a somewhat similar question about purchasing a 1025R a few weeks back, but I was wondering how many of you have a 1025R for an acre or less? I know TTWT said in one of his videos that he originally only had half an acre when he purchased his first 1025R. Does anyone else have a 1025R for a relatively small plot of land or is it ridiculous to have a subcompact for that small of an area? To save a lot of typing, I think most of us already know and understand the "It depends on what you are going to use it for," response. On an acre of land, you have mowing, minor landscaping (mulch, moving wood possibly, maybe snow, occasional dirt moving), and maybe pulling a roller or small trailer. Just curious on everyone's thoughts.

#2 ·
If you enjoy it, who cares. Life is short. I love these things. I love using them, servicing them, arguing over the best oil for them. I love having a diesel. If you feel the same, it’s not too big. It’s just right.

#3 ·
It's bigger than I need for my 1 acre (half wooded) lot but it offers much more capability than a lawn or garden tractor. Plus, as I get older the manual upkeep gets tougher, so until I retire and downsize (if that actually happens) I'm going to enjoy the versatility the 1025R will give me (once it gets here).

#4 ·
I have 2 acres with a little over an acre of it mowable grass. I can mow it all, front and back inside 2 hours. And that’s not flying over it full forward pedal. In low gear. Most of my dirt moving and clearing tasks are done, but there’s always some improvements to do that a shovel and wheelbarrow make an armchair quarterback will procrastinate doing.
While I’m on my back porch enjoying a cold drink, my neighbors are still push mowing their yard that is a lot smaller. Enjoy your oversized lawn mower! I do

#5 ·
Shoot, I have a 1\2 acre.. haven't used the 54" mower yet.. but sure have used all kinds of my other attachments I purchased ..... alot!

#6 ·
I would have loved a 1025R when I lived on a 5/8 acre lot in the 'burbs. My only issue would have been that my particular lot was not well suited (oddball slopes, ledges, etc.) for a small tractor. As it was, I used a Gravely walk-behind tractor for my lawn maintenance. It was much more capable than anything that any of my neighbors had and several of them called me "Tim the Tool Man" (even though my name is MARK!) after "Home Improvement". But they sure liked it when I used it to clear snowfalls that were too much for their shovels or their little single stage blowers.

As others have said, if you want it, get it! As long as you can maneuver it on your property, you're good! You will be amazed - as I'm sure that TTWT was - just how much use you can get out of it on a residential lot.

#8 ·
I've been going back and forth over if my bank account wants it as much as I do. I have the money for it, it's just that I like money also hahahaha! Then I had a stump removed this weekend and moved 7 trailer load of mulch from one end of the lawn to the other, then had to till the area where the tree was, then drag it to level it out. We used a Husqvarna lawnmower that wasn't happy pulling the trailer loads of mulch back and forth, a fourwheeler to pull the drag, rakes, shovels, a lot of arm and back muscles, and about 2 cases of bottled water. It took the better part of two days. I told my girlfriend halfway through the 2nd day "You know, the tractor probably would've made this a two-hour job tops."

#11 ·
  • had a stump removed
  • moved 7 trailer load of mulch
  • till the area where the tree was,
  • then drag it to level it out.
Sounds like your work is done. Why buy a tractor now? :unsure:

All seriousness aside, my wife insisted we get a tractor as she was tired of helping with the shovel/wheelbarrow tasks that I kept coming up with. I had a new 1025R on order in 2018. Had last second worries and called the salesman up and asked if it was to late to change to a 2 series. Long story short he was at another of their dealer ready to load up our new 1025R when a 2015 2032R with a snowblower newly attached came driving out of the shop. He loaded it up instead. We always keep finding plenty of chores for it. Like Jay Gayman, couldn't be happier. And more importantly, the wife, too.

#9 ·
With 0% financing there's no need to outlay the entire purchase price, unless you're against monthly payments.

#10 ·
I posted a somewhat similar question about purchasing a 1025R a few weeks back, but I was wondering how many of you have a 1025R for an acre or less?
I have a X500 for mowing and a 2720 for all other duties. I only have 0.58 acres and couldn’t be happier. 😎

#13 ·
I have a 1025 with the Mauser Cab, and I only have about 3/4 of an acre of land. This machine makes me smile every time I get to use it, whether it is used mowing or being the best 4 wheel drive wheelbarrow around. When New England weather turns nasty in the winter my plow setup beats a frozen snow blower hands down. I can always find a new project to tackle with the versatility this little tractor offers than compared to a simple lawn tractor, the choice is still up to you.

#88 ·
As I get older it has become my wheel barrel. Anything heavy or cumbersome gets moved with the tractor. I’ve also used it all summer building a new deck, hanging joists, moving lumber etc. it has become a valuable tool from a productivity perspective and saving my back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This has been my experience as well. Whether moving mulch, dirt, gravel, or downed trees & bushes my 2017 1025R has been invaluable around the place (about 3.5 acres) for 3 years now. It carries the loads my almost 64 year old body can't.

#16 ·
Mine was on .9 acres
Loved it loader is best backsaver known to man

#20 ·
I have acres, 3 of which I maintain. My 1025R is not just a big lawn mower. I use it to till my half acre garden. I can also spray my lawn and garden with it. I rake pine straw with it. I have about 45 pine trees so we're talking about a lot of straw and it takes less than a half day instead of 2 or d days. I would never go back and it has been worth every penny.

#22 ·
I have 1.5 acres, just over half wooded, pretty good slope to the back. I bought my 1026R the first year the 1 series came out. My reasons were mainly a backhoe. I don't mow with it, I have a 33 year old Wheelhorse for that. Currently I don't have any other major attachments.

Do I use it every weekend? No.
Is it there when I want to use it? Yes
Is it a back saver? Yes
Do I need 4WD? Yes to bring stuff like logs from the wooded area up front.
Will I buy any attachments? Yes, when I need them.
Do I regret buying it? No, not in the least. I have used it for things I had on my list, and the list got bigger once I got the tractor.
Did I buy the right size? Yes and no. Yes because it fits between the flower beds and other things we already have. No, because I would have liked more lifting power for the FEL.
If I had to do it all over again ... I'd probably go to a mid sized 2 series.

You only live once and you're only young once. Save your knees and back while you're young, you won't regret it.

Just my 2 cents.

#23 ·
You only live once and you're only young once. Save your knees and back while you're young, you won't regret it.
I needed one of these 30-40 years ago to make that happen! :unsure:;)

Actually looked at an orange BX about 10-12 years ago but the ex nixed it. Maybe she was doing me a favor because I believe the green machine is a bit better (today's models anyway).

#24 ·
When I bought my 1023E I only had half an acre. I had two Simplicity tractors one to mow and one with a loader.
I live in upstate NY and we get allot of snow where I live so I wanted to upgrade to a 4wd tractor.
I was planning on buying a new Simplicity the came across TTWT channel then found the John deere was actually cheaper then the Simplicity.
The first two years I owned it I only plowed and mowed the grass.
About a year ago I bought the half acre lot next door and spent the last year cleaning the lot.
I'm glad I bought it because now I justified it.

#31 ·
I live on about a 1/2 acre lot and recently purchased a 1025r (which I haven't received yet). For me it was about versatility, ease of use, and resale. I may not be dragging a brush hog through 10 acres of grass, but I have done SO many projects around this place by hand that could have gone a lot faster if I had a machine. Landscaping, dirt moving, grading the driveway, moving the 4 million larger rocks I have on this property, brush clearing, downed trees, waterlines, retaining walls, the list could go on forever. Their also seems to be an endless amount of attachments that make the machine perform so many different tasks.

I could probably rent a machine every time I needed to do something, but I am far more likely to do the project if I can just walk outside and get started. Besides I'd rather put my money towards something I own and can continue to use for years to come. I don't have any plans to sell this, but if I ever did they sure seem to hold their value far greater than a smaller garden tractor. I was looking around at used ones and they weren't all that different from a brand new one (at least in my area).

Plus they are just fun. I work on my property a lot and I would like to make that more enjoyable for me and my wife. I've always wanted one and the projects just keep coming, so I bit the bullet. Maybe its not for everyone, but I think it going to work great for me. Good luck on your decision.

#32 ·
I can understand your dilemma, I have a 1 acre plot out in the country, the 1st year I bought a JD riding lawn mower, a wheelbarrow and hired some one to smooth out my non existing lawn. Needless to say, winter came and I raked leaves every day for a week, no snow here, so no problem. 1st spring, needed more smoothing, lime, roiling, seeding and cutting. I'm retired, but did not retire to work like a mule on my property. Bought a JD 1023e used, 200 hours on it with a 54" mower, then bought a FEL, wagon, seed & lime spreader, sprayer & weights. Now do I not only get things done easier, but most important I enjoy doing them. There are some good deals around, just be sure you will enjoy it and not regret it.

#33 ·
If you buy a few attachments, you will be amazed at what you can do with it. Forks are huge, can't tell you how many times or different things I have used them for. The FEL, "bucket" goes without saying all the jobs you use it for. I do use mine for doing some odd jobs now, so I do have lots of 3PT attachments.. A great example of when I purchased a large patio set from Costco.. just got my forks in the day before... I was scratching my head on getting the set off the truck and moving it back to the patio.... then I realized.. perfect job for the forks.. pushed the box onto the forks, drove around the house to the patio and slid the box off.. opened the boxes assembled the set and thought... daaaamn ... my back feels great!!

#34 ·
I have had a tractor of some type since I bought this dilapidated 100+ year old house on a hill. We've done a ton of work over the past 40 years, but never once was I really able to do the yard work I wanted to do until I bought my 1023e. I bought the 1023e after owning a GT18, Kubota G2000S, X580, and X738. Non of them could support a loader, and that's what I needed most of all. I just didn't know it at the time.

I now have close to 100 hrs on it since March, and although I have replaced the 1/2 acre front yard, I still haven't mowed it. Buying the 1023 was a smart move for me and has allowed me to do things to my yard I never thought possible. Buy the tractor, you'll never regret it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.