Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading PT Ed's thread from 2014 about the top speed on a 1025R and was disappointed with the many useless responses. I too have to transport mine a few kilometers on a paved road and it's painfully slow, like annoyingly pathetic. My buddy has a Kubota and in high gear it's 2 or 3 times as fast. Just sayin' that JD should really look into this. Loading onto my trailer strapping it down and unloading it is less annoying, but ends up wasting a lot of time.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
I think it's about 9 mph

What sucks for me is that its so weak that I can't even use high gear most of the time.

·
Premium Member
12,125 Posts
I think it's about 9 mph

What sucks for me is that its so weak that I can't even use high gear most of the time.
What happens, does the machine bog down? Do you run any Cetane enhancer in your fuel system?

I ONLY use high gear, including Plowing Snow. I did use LOW when building the road with the box blade, but I would bet my tractor has spent 95% of its life in H and the rest in L.

Low is so painfully slow, I am afraid I might doze off................I do use L when mowing with the rear Frontier RC2048 Mower, but only if the material I am cutting is more than 3 feet tall..............

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
What happens, does the machine bog down? Do you run any Cetane enhancer in your fuel system?

I ONLY use high gear, including Plowing Snow. I did use LOW when building the road with the box blade, but I would bet my tractor has spent 95% of its life in H and the rest in L.

Low is so painfully slow, I am afraid I might doze off................I do use L when mowing with the rear Frontier RC2048 Mower, but only if the material I am cutting is more than 3 feet tall..............
Just running pump diesel. I'm on long steep hills. About 25% slope. I can go a little faster than low if running WOT and forward pedal about half depressed in high range. At that point the engine is pulled down to about 2000 rpms but it's slightly faster. That's also just traveling with no PTO on.
My lightest attachment is the rotary cutter. The backhoe is heaviest. Doesn't really feel any different.

Does something sound off?

Reactions: driveshaft

·
Premium Member
12,125 Posts
I was reading PT Ed's thread from 2014 about the top speed on a 1025R and was disappointed with the many useless responses. I too have to transport mine a few kilometers on a paved road and it's painfully slow, like annoyingly pathetic. My buddy has a Kubota and in high gear it's 2 or 3 times as fast. Just sayin' that JD should really look into this. Loading onto my trailer strapping it down and unloading it is less annoying, but ends up wasting a lot of time.

Two or 3 times faster? So the Kubota has a road speed of 18 to 27 MPH since the one series top speed is 9 mph? Twice as fast with an extra transfer case gear in a comparable sized machine, certainly possible. Three times as fast, Extremely Unlikely.

In fact, the BX series Kubota with the same horsepower has a two speed transfer case and it also has a top forward speed of 9mph, same as the 1 series Deere.

The B2920 Kubota has a 3 speed transfer case and the top speed iin HIGH range is listed as 12.6mph or 20.3 kph..................http://www.tractordata.com/farm-tractors/005/8/6/5862-kubota-b2920-transmission.html

The L 4240 Series Kubota, which has a 3 speed transfer case has a top speed of 16 mph. And that's a tractor which has 44 HP, so nearly 20 extra HP than the 1 series.

A machine with a short wheel base, high center of gravity and tires which are not intended for pavement use, you wouldn't want to go more than 20 mph or the risk of rollover is greatly increased.....At least you have the trailer option if needed...........

·
Registered
514 Posts
From the manuals:

Kubota BX23/26:
Forward —13.5 km/h 8.4 mph
Reverse —10.5 km/h 6.5 mph

JD 1023E/1025R
Forward and Reverse Low Range 0—6.6 km/h 4.1 mph)
Forward and Reverse High Range 0—14.6 km/h (9.1 mph)

·
Premium Member
4,717 Posts
9mph sounds about right
Still faster than I can push a wheelbarrow

·
Premium Member
'20 1025R, 120R, 54D
1,404 Posts
9mph sounds about right
Still faster than I can push a wheelbarrow
And carries way more than you'd want to push! ;)

·
Premium Member
12,125 Posts
Just running pump diesel. I'm on long steep hills. About 25% slope. I can go a little faster than low if running WOT and forward pedal about half depressed in high range. At that point the engine is pulled down to about 2000 rpms but it's slightly faster. That's also just traveling with no PTO on.
My lightest attachment is the rotary cutter. The backhoe is heaviest. Doesn't really feel any different.

Does something sound off?
The grades will make a difference, especially a long continuous grade to climb. I push snow up a hill which is 435 in length and it changes in height 55' in that length (55/435 or 11/87 = 0.1264 or 12.64% or 7.21 degrees*) and while pushing the snow in H does put a load on the engine, it keeps on going and I don't think the R PM's ever drop below about 2700 to 2800 when pushing at WOT.

I really think you should run some fuel products in all of your tractors fuel. It does reduce smoke, increase power and makes the engine run smoother. The Bio diesel doesn't take long to start to plug injectors, etc.. I would suggest using the Hot Shot Diesel Extreme in your fuel year around and also run the Stiction eliminator in the engine crankcase during oil changes. It should help increase your tractor's power output.

The stiction eliminator I had trouble accepting its claims until I saw how its the recommended solution for the Ford Power Stroke injector problems in some of their engines, etc. The injectors rely on oil pressure to function properly and the oil was making the injectors clog and not expand properly. Read about the product and see what you think, I think they might even have a money back guarantee on their products. I know I have seen a difference running their fuel system cleaner, etc.

The only thing about them (Hot Shot) which I don't like is they run a different Anti Gel product which you have to make sure to add. Howe's anti gel and fuel treatment is all in one and easier to use. I run Howe's in the winter and switch to Hot Shot once the cold weather is over.

Here is the calculator I use to calculate grade and rise of hills as it is done differently by a lot of people.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
I owned a Kubota BX and yes, the 8 or 9 mph top speed sounds right, I checked it with my cell phone gps. My 2025 is about 12 to 13 mph, which doesn’t seem that much faster but it does make a difference. Tractors have no suspension so it’s really a safety issue, the 2 series have bigger tires is why it’s safer to go a little faster.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I owned a Kubota BX and yes, the 8 or 9 mph top speed sounds right, I checked it with my cell phone gps. My 2025 is about 12 to 13 mph, which doesn’t seem that much faster but it does make a difference. Tractors have no suspension so it’s really a safety issue, the 2 series have bigger tires is why it’s safer to go a little faster.
From the published specs the 2025R is about 20 percent "faster" than the 1025R.

Anyway, the OP made a statement on SCUTs that doesn't seem to be true since at least in the SCUTs the orange machines are slower than the green ones.

·
Registered
715 Posts
I see this is your first post here on GTT.

Did you have a specific question, or did you just need a place to vent and complain ?

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
My wifes Gator has a top speed of 28mph and I can't imagine driving my tractor that fast. It's just not safe.

Sully, I call BS on plowing snow in high gear unless the snow is 1-2"

·
Registered
John Deere 1026R
115 Posts
I had a 2305 last year, have a 1026R this year. The 2305 had a top speed of 8.4 mph, and I really the think higher top speed on the 1025/6R is due to the extra rpms they turn. I run all over my hunting club in it (1300 Acre's) and it does take a little while, but I haven't noticed that it drops much speed wise, unless I am going up one of the longer steep hills we have, and I am carrying a bush hog or disk on the back. Would I like a higher top speed? Well yes, but then I think I would run into issues of being able to do things like disk or bush hog in low only, and its just not worth it to me.

I just spend the extra time it takes me to look for places deer cross the road. And I bet I get a much better look see than the dudes zipping around on their 4 wheelers runnning 25+.

·
Registered
5,564 Posts
When I had my 1025R I checked the speed with a GPS speed app on my phone. It was 9 MPH in B range. Now if that K was 3 times as fast, it would have to run close to 30 MPH and only the really big AG tractors go that fast. My 4066R runs 20.6 MPH in C range. An interesting fact is that A range and B range produce the same speeds in both tractors. 4.5 MPH in A range and 9 MPH in B range in spite of the much bigger tires.

One must remember that a 1025R with loader weighs somewhere around 2000 lbs, whereas the 4066R/loader/wheel weights will weigh around 6000#. Therefore it weighs about 3 times as much as the 1025R and 20 MPH is plenty fast enough for it and 9 MPH is plenty fast enough for the 1025R. At 20 MPH on the road with the 1500 lb RFM on the rear with no bucket on the loader, it can get a little squirrelly. Putting the bucket on solves that problem.

Dave

Reactions: TractorEd

·
Super Moderator
3,494 Posts
Sully, I call BS on plowing snow in high gear unless the snow is 1-2"
Not true. I plow in High 99+% of the time. 1" to 12". Actually, I can't remember ever using Low gear.

·
Premium Member
7,940 Posts
Right now the OP is saying “high range”o_O

·
Premium Member
4,717 Posts
I run in high gear mostly. I even put down and spread 4 loads of rock on my driveway in high. Gotta have the skills Bob. Gotta have the skills. 🐸

·
Premium Member
Tator
15,738 Posts
1 - 20 of 28 Posts