Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Seems like a person could buy that combination new for about $17000, BUT they can do it with 0% 5 year financing. You are looking for someone with $14,000 or more in hand AND willing to buy a used tractor OR able to finance through their bank at 5%...adding money to the cost. If my choice is to pay my bank $3000, or spend the $3000 on getting a new tractor instead, Its sort of a no brainer. Also, in my search, I found more 1025s for sale than any other tractor. Its a buyers market. No matter what its worth, the "value" is whatever the market will bear and Id say you may have to take a loss off the "book value" at this point. Buyers have a lot to pick from right now.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I agree that supply and demand control selling price. But included as a sub factor in the "demand" side of the equation is the fact that Kubota has a very similar model for a few thousand less. And I have heard of no design problems with the Kubota like Deere has had with the air cleaner problem for instance. And Kubota has a backhoe that won't jar your teeth loose if you retract the boom to far to the frame. Deere has an opportunity to stand out with good service and dealer support, but as has been said on this forum, they often blow that off with stingy/crappy dealers in the mix. Deere has also gone to the big box stores to sell a degraded product, which Kubota has not done. Conclusion: Deere vs. Kubota, advantage Kubota in my opinion.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I agree that supply and demand control selling price. But included as a sub factor in the "demand" side of the equation is the fact that Kubota has a very similar model for a few thousand less. And I have heard of no design problems with the Kubota like Deere has had with the air cleaner problem for instance. And Kubota has a backhoe that won't jar your teeth loose if you retract the boom to far to the frame. Deere has an opportunity to stand out with good service and dealer support, but as has been said on this forum, they often blow that off with stingy/crappy dealers in the mix. Deere has also gone to the big box stores to sell a degraded product, which Kubota has not done. Conclusion: Deere vs. Kubota, advantage Kubota in my opinion.
Boy you sound like a great JD fan. Why are you even on here? How is the JD product sold in the big box stores a degraded product? It's the same lawn tractor they sell at the dealer. Made in the same place too in Tennessee. Selling through the big box stores is a good business plan because there are far more Home Depots and Lowe's than there are JD dealerships and most are more convenient to the consumer who buys a lawn tractor. Kubota has chosen a different business path for selling their lawn tractors.

All tractors have their warts and some dealers are a PIA. My ownership experience with multiple JD's has been completely different than what you portray.

As for the OP, you will have to research your local market (and machinefinder.com) and see what you can get out of the tractor. If you price it right, it will sell. My buddy sold his 1023E over a year ago in about three weeks. He set a good price on it and didn't bother trying to get top dollar on it. There are people out there who will pay cash for it. You are getting ready to be in the prime time for buying/selling. Late winter/early spring is a great time to sell a SCUT. Good luck with your sale.

·
Premium Member
14,514 Posts
A friend of mine decided to move back to Nevada and wanted to sell his 1025R (w/ mower deck and rear blade).

My dealer gave him $8,250.

It covered his payoff and then some.

From the websites listed you should be able to see what the average list price is, but you won't be able to find out what the sell price is.

Pick what you think is a good number and put it out there. Have a bottom number in mind and if someone shows up with :gizmo: then :bigthumb:

·
Registered
509 Posts
I believe the best chance of selling used tractors is the equipment you have. If you live in COLD country and have a heated cab I believe you will be able to sell it easier than just another 1025r with FEL and mower deck. You need something to make your equipment stand out from all the others.

You will still take a hit because of all of the reasons listed above but your chances of selling your unit is greatly improved. Will you get as much as you want? Probably not.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks everyone. Some really good advice here. 90 percent of the hours are simply mowing grass so my thought is to buy a commercial grade zero turn. I have a great neighbor that has a SCUT with loader I can use whenever I need it. That way I do not need to store implements I hardly use. If all else fails I can trade it in and take a hit.

·
Premium Member
2,158 Posts
Thanks everyone. Some really good advice here. 90 percent of the hours are simply mowing grass so my thought is to buy a commercial grade zero turn. I have a great neighbor that has a SCUT with loader I can use whenever I need it. That way I do not need to store implements I hardly use. If all else fails I can trade it in and take a hit.
Trade it. Selling used for cash is tough and you will have to wait for the right buyer to come along that wants to buy a slightly used tractor for a top dollar price when they can buy a new one at 0%. Good luck on that!! That makes it really tough to sell a slightly used tractor.

If you have the time and resources, then you can wait, and hope, the right person comes along. Of course, the longer you wait, the less you will want to wait. Truthfully, you will take a hit selling it for cash and you will not be able to trade it for retail price, so you will most likely end up taking a hit either way you look at it.

Reactions: keane and Busman
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.