Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,112 Posts
He doesn't list the number of hours on the machine but he probably is pretty much dead on. The same machine running and with either a 54" or 60" mower deck runs $11,5000-$12,500 on MachineFinder. Take off $1500 for a used mower deck and then divide in half and you'd be at his $5K asking price...

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
That's a very cryptic for sale ad... you'd need to find out what caused the damage, and what the damage actually is. What extent is the damage? Block? Head? Maybe much of it could be salvaged.

I thought someone said an entire engine was $8k. So that plus $5K and all the work involved, and you still have no idea if anything else works.

It could be a sweet handyman special depending on how wrecked the engine is.

·
Premium Member
2,232 Posts
He doesn't list the number of hours on the machine but he probably is pretty much dead on. The same machine running and with either a 54" or 60" mower deck runs $11,5000-$12,500 on MachineFinder. Take off $1500 for a used mower deck and then divide in half and you'd be at his $5K asking price...

The ad description says 550 hrs

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's a very cryptic for sale ad... you'd need to find out what caused the damage, and what the damage actually is. What extent is the damage? Block? Head? Maybe much of it could be salvaged.
I have no interest in buying it but I am looking into it. I will post any updates

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
All I’ve gathered so far is that they broke a valve

·
Super Moderator
5,112 Posts
The ad description says 550 hrs
Doh! Some how I missed that! :flag_of_truce:

The machines I looked at were mostly in the 300-500 hour range so he's a little above that.

·
Premium Member
12,286 Posts
What would a new engine cost?
Part Number:
MIA12147
Part Price: 7,993.39 USD
Core Value: (2,000.00 USD)
End Price With Core Return: 5,993.39 USD
On Hand:
0 Check Other Stores
Description: Diesel Engine - DIESEL ENGINE, DIESEL ENGINE, 3TNV8

·
Registered
110 Posts
Not saying this was but if it was due to the air filter wouldn't the engine be covered? Potentially?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think I have gotten all the information I will be getting:

A valve broke. A JD dealer disassembled the engine and determine that (at a minimum) the block, crankshaft and one piston were destroyed.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Even if one throws the labor in for grins, i think it may turn into a huge money pit with all the unknowns and no equipment such as mower or FEL.

I would not touch it with a ten foot pole, as my pappy always said. :gizmo:

·
Registered
599 Posts
My opinion is its over priced. If it had the end loader and mowing deck maybe not. I'd say its a buy at 1k and maybe if you wanted it bad 2k. When I bought my 2025 they gave me 7k trade for a Kubota BX with end loader and 60" mowing deck with 700 hours, and it didn't have a blown engine.

·
Registered
3,333 Posts
My opinion is its over priced. If it had the end loader and mowing deck maybe not. I'd say its a buy at 1k and maybe if you wanted it bad 2k. When I bought my 2025 they gave me 7k trade for a Kubota BX with end loader and 60" mowing deck with 700 hours, and it didn't have a blown engine.
I was kind of thinking the same thing. Maybe if someone had a donor tractor like one with a broken rear axle or other transmission issue where you already had attachments and just needed this for a major part that is good like the transmission.

They may be asking for $5k but one could always offer less.

·
Premium Member
8,856 Posts
The tractor has more value as a parts tractor than it does as a repair tractor, in my opinion. As it sits, $1,000 is all I would give for it as tractors without FEL seem to garner very little interest. Buying a used 120R loader is going to add $2,500 to $3,500 and there are all sorts of used tractors with FEL and mowers for $11 to $13K.........

Pay $1,000 for the tractor

Add in $8,000 for the engine plus sales tax, less the core and you are net $6,500 in cost

That's $7,500 invested in a tractor without a FEL and that still doesn't include the labor, which is probably 8 hours to swap the engine.

That's why I say it has more value being parted out than it does being repaired at anything more than $1,000 purchase price and assuming you can do and want to do the labor. No WAY I would pay anything close to $5k for it.........that's its break up value for parts, max.......with the engine shot.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
If you had the time and patience you could piece it out and make a good buck on parts. Of course you'd end up with a useless carcass with the high-demand parts gone and a frame sitting in your yard.

I wonder what it would cost for a block, crank, pistons, and valves and a rebuild with existing engine parts (assuming the head isn't trashed, but usually when an engine eats a valve your valve seats are wrecked).

·
Premium Member
8,856 Posts
If you had the time and patience you could piece it out and make a good buck on parts. Of course you'd end up with a useless carcass with the high-demand parts gone and a frame sitting in your yard.

I wonder what it would cost for a block, crank, pistons, and valves and a rebuild with existing engine parts (assuming the head isn't trashed, but usually when an engine eats a valve your valve seats are wrecked).
I have worked on Yanmar's owned by others and the price for the pieces does make the "crate engine" a very good value, comparatively.

Piston's are $213 each with rings---------MIA882335

Rod and bearings are $251 each ----------MIA882341

Crankshaft is $1,925.11 with bearings........MIA882334

A set of pistons is $639, set of rods is $753, plus you add in the $1,925.11 crankshaft and you are almost halfway home to the crate engine, not to mention the crate engine is all new components and much less labor.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts

I have worked on Yanmar's owned by others and the price for the pieces does make the "crate engine" a very good value, comparatively.

Piston's are $213 each with rings---------MIA882335

Rod and bearings are $251 each ----------MIA882341

Crankshaft is $1,925.11 with bearings........MIA882334

A set of pistons is $639, set of rods is $753, plus you add in the $1,925.11 crankshaft and you are almost halfway home to the crate engine, not to mention the crate engine is all new components and much less labor.
Damn... not like rebuilding a 350 Chevy huh?

·
Premium Member
12,286 Posts
Damn... not like rebuilding a 350 Chevy huh?
Knowing the huge JD parts markup it would be interesting to see what those same parts cost from Yanmar or someone else using the same engine. I once looked up up the price of a Cub Cadet part that was virtually the same as the part used on a 2520 (both tractors being Yanmar based) and the part was $700+ from JD and $400 from Cub Cadet.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts