Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Still shopping around and spoke to a knowledgeable sales person today who sort of took me aback in regards to the 2025R/2320. He thought it one of the worst tractors JD makes. My main use will be snow removal and I'd been leaning towards the 2025R mainly due to the split brakes but also for a bit more loader capacity for a set of forks for moving lumber around in the warmer months. He thinks the 1025R is a much better choice and thought the extra loader capacity over a 1025R was minimal.

Any body here move from a 1 series to a 2320 or 2025R care to comment about this or share personal experience with the different machines. I like the 1025R but was kind of hung up on the lack of split brakes from years of being barely in control plowing with old cub cadets.

·
Administrator
17,957 Posts
So what did he have in stock?

Worst ever made? That's a huge accusation.

·
Premium Member
1,706 Posts
I traded up from a 2210 to a 2320 several years ago. I never regretted making the trade. I never had any problems with the 2320.
It was a much nicer loader tractor than the 2210. It also worked good as a mower tractor & pushing snow. A couple of years ago, I traded the 2320 for a 2720. That was the worst trade I ever made.

I currently own a 1026R with a mower deck I do not have a loader for it. so I cannot comment on the 1026 as a loader tractor. The 1026 is great with a mower.

The 2025R would be my choice if I were wanting a nice loader & mower tractor .

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,435 Posts
So what did he have in stock?

Worst ever made? That's a huge accusation.
Probably not the 2025R or 2320, but I guess you may have already figured that also.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
eastcreek, what are your usage plans for the tractor?
Snow removal. I'm constrained by 48" wide sidewalks. I take care of over 1000' of 48" wide sidewalk, a bunch of small to medium driveways and several small parking lots as well as some wider sidewalks in the business district of my village. I've been getting by with a cub cadet 128 and a 129, both with 42" front blades and wheel weights. After this winter an upgrade seems like a reasonable idea.

I also am a wooden boat builder/woodworker and thought a set of forks would make life a little easier for moving lumber around. Some of what I use is reclaimed and is often timbers that get re-sawn. I'm sure that a bucket would get used if I had it. I only have a 1/2 acre so no need for a mower. Thinking of a heavy hitch or similar as that would also work for moving boat trailers around in the boatyard and to and from my woodshop.

I've been plowing snow with various garden tractors for about 40 years and really like the idea of split brakes so that is probably my biggest concern with the 1025R, and I thought the 2025 lifting capacity would be enough more to be noticeable.

I've driven a 4100 and liked the fact that it has the same footprint as a 1025 but has some features (split brakes, full cat. 1 3pt.) of the 2025. It also seemed to turn tighter than the 2025. I'd consider a 4100 or 4110 if I could find a decent one that wasn't too far away. The 2025/2320, 4100, and 4110 can all turn the rears to a narrow stance and be no wider than a 1025 to keep them no wider than a 47" snow blower.

I think I'm on the right track for my intended use but this mornings conversation kind of set me a little off course and I'm just looking for some informed opinions.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,435 Posts
I have had a 2320 since 2008 and have really worked the h**l out of it at times. Back in 2008 most people, including the dealer, told me to buy the 2520 cause it was a better buy. Me being me, I didn't want a better buy, I want a tractor that would do what I needed it do. I should mention that I was trading in a 1988 JD 650. In short, the 2320 is a fine tractor and I still see no reason for me to own a 2520 or the newer 2720/2032R. I out grew, the bigger the better deal long ago.

Now with all that along with your writings I would recommend the 1 series with a front mounted snow blower, FEL a ballast box and a set of forks.
I plow a lot of snow with the 2320 and have only used the split brakes once and it was a total waste of effort. The 650 had split brakes and I don't ever recall using them in the 20 some years of owning it. Some may argue the need for split brakes but for me they just aren't needed and don't seem to help anyway. 4WD goes a long way in lessening or eliminating the need for split brakes.

·
Read Only
1,932 Posts
Still shopping around and spoke to a knowledgeable sales person today who sort of took me aback in regards to the 2025R/2320. He thought it one of the worst tractors JD makes. My main use will be snow removal and I'd been leaning towards the 2025R mainly due to the split brakes but also for a bit more loader capacity for a set of forks for moving lumber around in the warmer months. He thinks the 1025R is a much better choice and thought the extra loader capacity over a 1025R was minimal.

Any body here move from a 1 series to a 2320 or 2025R care to comment about this or share personal experience with the different machines. I like the 1025R but was kind of hung up on the lack of split brakes from years of being barely in control plowing with old cub cadets.
You seem to be in the same boat I am as far as decisions. I originally was thinking a 1025r, but with the valve issues (that are now being resolved), the higher flow pump and higher ground clearance I was looking at a 2025r as I thought they were the 2520 replacement, and a 2520 is what I wanted. However as I'm sure you've found the 2025r is the 2320 replacement. The horsepower is about the same in either one. The 2025r carries around a 100 or so extra pounds, but has more ground clearance than the 1025r. Since you won't need a MMM no need to discuss the auto connect deck on the 1025r. Since it appears that your implements will be mainly front mounted except for rear ballast for the loader, I'd say either one. The split brakes I don't think makes that big of a difference. Personally I don't like the sway bars on the 2025r being on the inside of the 3pt arms. Makes it really cluttered and impossible to put a coulter on a moldboard plow that way. The 1025r and 2032r are on the outside. Maybe the 2320 was on the inside as well I don't know. I think you'd be fine with either one. The 1025r is smaller size and would be more nimble and easier to get around. Would be a little cheaper price as well. Good luck and keep us posted.

·
Read Only
1,932 Posts
They are.
Thanks Gizmo. So maybe it isn't that odd then if the previous 2000 series was that way. I haven't seen a 2320 on either of the dealer lots I frequent. Apparently 2320 owners don't get rid of them very often.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
313 Posts
I've only had my 1025R FILB for a week - so of course I'm loving it - not enough time to find any faults as yet. I'm amazed at the power of this little tractor, and how easy it is to take off the FEL, BH and MMM and reinstall them - I've done it several times so far. It's the perfect size for my 5 acres and it is extremely maneuverable and can get around some tight turns my lawn tractor couldn't make. So far I'm pleased and have no reason to think that will change.

I think you'll find plenty of information here to make a sound decision. I was deciding between a Kubota BX25 and the 1025R - both excellent small machines. At the end of the research, the ease of use of the 1025R won me over.

I've owned 2 Kubota's and 2 Deere's over the years - and I have to say my little 1025 is very impressive.

Good luck in your search!

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,435 Posts
Thanks Gizmo. So maybe it isn't that odd then if the previous 2000 series was that way. I haven't seen a 2320 on either of the dealer lots I frequent. Apparently 2320 owners don't get rid of them very often.
Our 650 was the same way and I agree with you, it's a PITA at times.

·
Registered
18 Posts
My dealer also pointed me away from the 2 series. He definitely didn't like the 2032r.

Somewhere on these boards someone pointed out that, with the HP of the 1025r the same as the 2025r, and the 2025r being heavier, it meant that some of the work he could do in high gear on the 1025r he had to do in low on the 2025r. I don't know if you're going to be pushing snow much in high though.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I've had my 1025r for almost a year now and my father in law has a 2025r. I can tell you first hand that you will be much happier with a 1025 pushing snow (get the wider bucket) than the 2025. As for lifting logs and lumber I can easily lift 1000 pounds with my 1025 and ballast box filled with sand and drive around comfortably. I wouldnt go lifting it over my head but enough to get it up on saw horses. I've move over 100 cords of wood with my little 1025 and I am completely happy with how it performs. When u are in 4x4 u won't need to use split brakes. It's amazing how wel that tractor hooks up!

·
Super Moderator
8,044 Posts
My dealer also pointed me away from the 2 series. He definitely didn't like the 2032r.

Somewhere on these boards someone pointed out that, with the HP of the 1025r the same as the 2025r, and the 2025r being heavier, it meant that some of the work he could do in high gear on the 1025r he had to do in low on the 2025r. I don't know if you're going to be pushing snow much in high though.
The dealer will sell what he has in stock. Most dealers are loaded with 1 Series tractors in inventory. The other thing is that probably ~ 50% of buyers upgrade so promoting the smaller SCUT machine is a built-in second sale down the road. Why sell one tractor when you can end up selling two.........?? :hi:

·
Registered
115 Posts
Well I can tell you this, I have a 1025r with the 60"MMM, H120 loader and backhoe. No regrets. Used primary for mowing with intentions of using for farming later. I have 4 acres, and it only takes 2 1/2 hours to mow, my neighbor has a 46" zero turn, and it takes her almost 3 hours just to mow her 2 acres

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
I have a 2210, the 1 series older cousin. If I had to do it over again, I would get a tractor that did not have a drive shaft with U joints. The 2210, 2305 have a history of drive shaft issues. I am thinking the 1 series is still too new for them to develop, if they are going to develop. JD did make some improvements with the 1 series by using an oil cooler vs cooling fan, however the U joints are still there. Hopefully access is easier than the 2210 or 2305.

I like split brakes, I have them on my JD 400 GT and I use them fairly often. However with 4x4 on my 2210, I do not miss that option but would get it again if offered.

The only other thing I would add is if you ever think you will work in rough terrain get something with extra ground clearance. If it is nothing but sidewalks and driveways then a 1 series will probably be fine. I do not think you can lift 1000lbs with a 1 series. 600-700 lbs is a more realistic number. I have used my friends 1023e and it doesn't feel like it has a lot of lifting power and have maxed it out on loads I think my 2210 could lift.

At the end of the day either tractor will probably work just fine. It will be up to your preference. If you don't see any on the lot you are looking go to another dealer that has both and compare and contrast them. :thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
196 Posts
Snow removal with my 1026R

I have the 1026R and live in NW Wisc.
First year I had it we got 122" yes over 10 feet of snow, most wet & heavy!!
The little tractor handled it very well on my 300 feet of driveway.
The next year I went out & bought the 48" 3 point snowblower.
I'm ready for any winter now.

Attachments

·
Registered
272 Posts
My dad has a 1025r and i have a 2025r. I like the 2025r over the 1025r and i have used both plenty. The 2025r is more tractor like with higher stance and a little more power lifting etc and its noticeable to me. I do like the 1025r seat better and it leaves a slightly smaller footprint when mowing but not enough to make me want to change.I do not like the high idle and rougher startups on the 1025r. I really like my 2025r for everything.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Also, my last post sucks without pics, so here is one mowing last week below. I want to add i hate how the front grill on my 2025r picks up grass clippings so bad, but also happens on the 1025r too. Have to clean it everytime im done mowing. Thats my biggest complaint.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts