Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys compare a 1025r with weights and a front 66” baled versus a 900 ranger with a 72” blade and weight
Pro to ranger
A. Speed
B. Gas engine

Pro to tractor
A. Weight and true hydd
B. Ability to had a blower or broom

In a usual winter may get 3-4 snows 2-6” at a time last year was an extreme had 2 real wet 10” snows
In the past my x738 could handle my drive easily
Last winter the wet snow was too much
Doing a ton of thinking here lol
Want t eventually plow the subdivision road approximately.75 mile long 18’ wide all concrete
Thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
3,850 Posts
a 1025r with weights and a front 66” baled versus a 900 ranger with a 72” blade and weight are too different pieces of equipment. One is a Tractor meant to be worked and have things added to it to do different things. Now to me the other one is more of a fancy toy with parts not meant to be worked like a tractor. I spent $30K for my 4044M and could have bought a real nice Quad 4x4 to play on but the 4044M can do 10 times what the Quad can do except go as fast and seat more people. Sure can't run a Brush Hog, Box Blade with rippers down, Rear 700 lb 8 ft wide blade or 900 lb snow blower on the back to blow deep snow with.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
1025r is the better tool for the job. There are some folks around here that plow with ATVs or Side by Sides, they work the snot out of them and need momentum to get the job done. A tractor is designed to do work like moving snow.

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
I'm going to go out on a limb and state, the Polaris is not going to hold up to plowing 3/4 mile walkways/driveways for very long. It simply isn't made to do that sort of bull work. Sure, it might work but, it certainly isn't going to last long with that sort of abuse.

·
Premium Member
14,735 Posts
Tractor, our Honda 700 Pioneer had a 60 or 66" blade on it the day we bought the machine. Had the dealer take the mounting and blade off the machine.

With a 1025r , front blade, rear blade and front snow blower no need to have another plow setting around .

·
Premium Member
13,381 Posts
1025r is the better tool for the job. There are some folks around here that plow with ATVs or Side by Sides, they work the snot out of them and need momentum to get the job done. A tractor is designed to do work like moving snow.
1025R and Polaris Ranger 900 darn near weigh the same.

I'd go tractor. :thumbup1gif:
Tractor, our Honda 700 Pioneer had a 60 or 66" blade on it the day we bought the machine. Had the dealer take the mounting and blade off the machine.

With a 1025r , front blade, rear blade and front snow blower no need to have another plow setting around .
All of these^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I plowed for four years with our Mule, 72" Moose plow (manual angle adjustment)

I took that plow and welded it to a blank plate for my tractor, the tractor is faster believe it or not. With the hydro and much better turning radius this tractor would run circles around the Mule in a plow off. Not to mention, when the $#!& hits the fan and we get the "big ones", the tractor can handle them much better. The Mule was good for about 16" of snow and that was it, I hit 22" of snow one day last winter with the tractor, once I created a hole it just ran through it with ease.

Tractor gets my vote. :good2:

·
Administrator
17,982 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,706 Posts
I'm curious why you think a gas engine is a "pro"?
I do not know why cin769 thinks a gas engine is a pro. For me, having lived in cold climates with diesels in unheated storage. There is less worry that a gas engine will not start. Fuel gelling is also not a problem.

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
I’m going to go with both being the best option. I have a blower on my 1026r. A plow on a atv. I use the tractor on snowfalls over 3”. The atv gets used for the smaller snow falls. The atv works fine up to about 6” is faster than the tractor. But the tractor blower can handle any snow storm that I have seen in my lifetime in Wisconsin.

·
Registered
398 Posts
For me I would say gas is favorable to diesel just because of the diesel exhaust on my 1025r. The first time I plowed withthe cab on I became nauseated and got a headache. At that moment I wished I never bought the tractor. I was so sorry I sold my x728 because I never felt sick when using it. Froze to death, yeah, sick no!

However, after help from the forum I installed an angled silicone hose on the exhaust and this change in routing the exhaust fumes solved the problem for me.

If the cold isn’t an issue for you knowing what I know now I would just stick with the x738. With a weight hitch and weights on the back my x728 plowed very well, just cold! If you got the big storm, just go out in the middle of the storm and plow, you’ll have less to move when it finally stops. X738 has a lower center of gravity and the all wheel drive works very well with enough traction. In fact if Mauser made a cabfor the x7xx series I would have bought one. Another thing I don’t like about the 1025r with the FEL mounted plow and 3 point hitch weight bracket is the overall length. My x728 was much easier to maneuver in my driveway.

·
Registered
12,327 Posts
They might weigh the same but the transmission in that Polaris is barely more than a modified motorcycle transmission and I can see it hand grenading in record time compared to the 1025R.[/QUOTE]

:banghead:i sure hope the tranny in my gator(835r) doesn't blow up when i'm plowing our driveway any tie soon. but at least i'll be warm as a bug inside the cab on it:laugh:

my gosh such negative talk about plowing snow with a side by side. uns all wanting to sit outside in blowing snow and zero temps-go for it. i've done it since i was a kid. last winter i sat inside for the first time-and i LOVED IT:laugh: if tranny blows up--i'll replace it for sure. still got the plow for the 2520 out there-just in case-still got the blower for the 318 out there too.
but no way i want to use them now this late in my life-so..................:plowsnow:

·
Premium Member
13,381 Posts
I’m going to go with both being the best option. I have a blower on my 1026r. A plow on a atv. I use the tractor on snowfalls over 3”. The atv gets used for the smaller snow falls. The atv works fine up to about 6” is faster than the tractor. But the tractor blower can handle any snow storm that I have seen in my lifetime in Wisconsin.
I would definitely agree with this, the way I read the OP I thought of it as "if it had to be one or the other". Absolutely, if possible to have both, keep both.

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
I did that one season. I quickly sold the ATV plow because compared to the blade on the X585, it was worthless. Better than a shovel mind you but just barely. Besides with shaft drive implements and the quick hitch, it takes a couple minutes to change back and forth.

The ATV wasn't heavy enough to plow where I could still plow with the X585. The ATV plow only had the weight of the blade and couldn't put down pressure on the blade. I had to get off the ATV to angle the blade where I can angle it with hydraulics on the X585. The winch was used to raise and lower the blade which over time would kill the battery because it couldn't charge it quick enough to make up for the amount of times I had to raise and lower the blade. It simply didn't work for me. Maybe you will have better luck.

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
I have multiple pieces of equipment that a use for snow removal. If I could only have one it would be the snowblower on the front of my 1026r as it works on any amount of snow from one inch dustings to 4’ drifts .

With that said it is faster for me to plow my circle turn around with my atv because there is little to no need to change direction and I can go 15 - 20 mph . The atv is pretty much useless for anything over 6” . A utv probably can handle deeper snow, but it’s going to need more room to turnaround. I don’t use my loader for snow removal because it’s only 53” wide and it can’t really pile snow very high.

·
Premium Member
8,842 Posts
Here is my choice for snow removal..............has been for the last 5 years, 2 years with the 1025r and 3 years prior to that with the 455............

The last picture shows the 87" wide plow inside the 9 foot wide garage door and there is stock 54" plow sitting off to the side along the water bottle storage rack. I also have the 47" two stage for the front if needed, which I rarely use as it is painfully slow compared to the blade and I also like the rubber squeegee on the bottom of the plow to really clean the surface.

Whether it's 4" of snow or 18" of snow, this beast handles it just fine. I don't use chains as I don't want to score the pavement. One of the driveways I plow is also pictured and all the snow has to be pushed up the hill and piled at the top, off to the right as the driveway is in the middle of a curve in the road and there is no place to pile snow at the bottom of the hill with a fire hydrant, mailboxes, the road curve and other impediments.

The driveway with the steep hill is why I don't use tire chains as I don't want to scratch or score the new concrete. As long as the tractor is properly ballasted, plowing all the snow up the hill isn't an issue. Also, I pre-treat the driveway with snow melt as we can't have any ice on the driveway or the owners wouldn't be able to get up or down. The driveway also has a pitch to it from left to right, which tends to want to push the tractor to the right. This driveway is always the test. If I can plow this one, the others are a piece of cake. There hasn't been a time when I haven't ever been able to plow the one with the steep grade. If you look closely at the picture, the tractor is parked at the top of the hill, where you turn hard left to drive into the 4 car garage.

One of the reasons this custom made plow works so well on the tractors is because I used two of the 54" Deere plows when I built it. That kept the plow height and most importantly, its weight in line with the equipment using it. You have to be real careful when adapting other plows as you want to keep the weight so it doesn't dominate the tractor using it.............

The top flap is also critical in it's function, to roll the snow forward, and to throw it off the end of the plow when plowing the roads. With enough speed, the plow angled, the snow will throw about 4' off the end of the plow in an upward trajectory, which throws it over the snow banks along the roads or long driveways.

The plow is 87" wide, which is 7' 3", the width was determined based upon how the two plows fit together. The width, with the rubber plow edge works great for back dragging within the overhead garage door frames, which helps to eliminate the hand shoveling and it keeps the doorways clear so the door closes correctly. This saves a ton of time and hand shoveling...........

The quick hitch on the 1 series actually doesn't lift the plow as high as the plow does on the x7xx series and its predecessors. This is because the plow mounts under the front frame on the 1 series, where it mounts out in front of the x7xx series front frame rails. I hope John Deere works on another front mounting system for these machines, which would increase the plow lifting height.

I purposely chose to not use the FEL mounted plow arrangements because of the length of the machine with the FEL on it, with the plow hanging off the front of it. I have several driveways which are very tight, and even another foot of machine length would change how the driveways are plowed. One driveway I plow is surrounded on both sides with retaining walls, which get as high as 9 feet tall.

In fact, the picture shown with the tractor sitting sideways with the lights on is in this driveway, when I was there just before the first snowfall, marking the corners and transition points for reference. Once everything is buried in snow, its much harder to locate them without the markers.

The picture where the lights are on shows a good example of the difference in the quality of the factory halogen bulbs shining forward and the rear LED lights. The rear LED's are so much whiter and a brighter light, which makes the plowing and other night functions so much easier.......I switched the front factory lights to LED's after this photo, and the light difference is dramatically better............

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,842 Posts
I'm curious why you think a gas engine is a "pro"?
I instantly wondered the same thing.......and proper fuel management eliminates the temperature related issues such as filter freeze, gelling or even biological material (mold and bacteria....) in the fuel....No ethanol issues, no fuel degradation like there is with "new" gasoline.

Plus, storing diesel fuel for years won't hurt it if it is stored properly and properly treated with a simple additive such as Howe's. Gasoline storage these days also requires treatment and even with the fuel stabilization and the chemicals to treat the ethanol portion of the fuel, gasoline won't store as long without issues as does diesel fuel.

Diesel's have more power, more torque, get better fuel mileage and run much longer before having to be rebuilt. I pick a diesel hands down, every time and twice on Sundays and holidays, over a gas engine.....

I wish I had bought my Zero turn in a diesel model and the next one will be.......even my next SUV is very likely going to be either the Blue Tec diesel from Mercedes or the Audi diesel.............

Even in the UTV, I would recommend the diesel option, especially for plowing snow........:good2:

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
I agree with the top flap.

Plowing 2012 - YouTube

I don't use chains either.

If I had a smaller machine where changing over means messing with belts and such I would probably consider making an ATV work. It is so quick to change I don't mess with it. As I said I sold the ATV plow and a while later sold the ATV.

I use the blower very rarely. I would rather go out twice and plow mid storm than use the blower. Unless we are talking 12+" of heavy wet snow, I don't bother blowing.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ditto Chris
Plus gas is easier to store for me than diesel , diesel doesn’t keep long either and gets that algae which plugs filters bad
A little sea foam keeps gas a little longer

1 - 20 of 24 Posts