Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All I am new here.. I currently have a X758 reserved with all the bells and whistles.. PTO/3 Point etc.. I've also ordered a snow blower, 3 bagger with the power bagger. The guy had mentioned with all of the accessories I added I might be better off with a 1025R.

I live in town and don't have a very big yard.. less than a quarter of an acre.. after adding all the goodies on the tractor I started thinking about the loader.. they don't really offer a JD loader for the X758..

When I first was looking at the X758 vs the 1025R I thought the 1025R was much bigger.. but I don't think that's the case at all? the 1025R also comes stock with PTO and 3 point..

I am tempted to call him Monday and switch my order from the X758 to the 1025R because it seems like there are so many more options? Is the seat space larger between the steering wheel on the 1025R vs a X758? My children like to ride with me when doing things around the house.

A question I have is if you were to mow with the 1025R does it rip the grass up with it being heavier and a bit longer?

·
Registered
968 Posts
I had the same questions and went with the 1026R in 2013. It will cut the grass just fine, BUT I only did that for the first season and then went back to my 445 and 54" mower deck. I did this not because of the cut quality, but my yard is loaded with trees and with the Cab on the 1026R I could not trim as well. You might have the same problem with the ROPs in the upright position. I also mow a lot more yard than you do. If I want to do it all in one day, it takes 6-7 hours. For mowing, you might be better off with a cheap box store Deere and then get the 1025R. I find so many uses for the FEL that I miss it when I install the Blower for the Winter. And Size wise, there is not much difference. I take the three Point linkage off for the winter and I can then park the 1026R in the same spot I use to park the 445 and Blower in the Garage. I like this arrangement as I don't have to walk through the Snow to get to the Barn where both tractors normally stay for the other three seasons. If you don't have a lot of low hanging tree branches, the 1025R will work out great.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I have a 1025. My neighbor has an X738.

I sure don’t see any difference in cut, but I may be biased.

The only time I’ve torn sod with the 1025 is if I forget I have it in 4wd and turn too tightly.

Otherwise, no issues.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
I have a a X739 & 1025R. We use both for mowing. I cannot see any difference in mowing. In the wrong conditions, both can damage turf. The full time 4 x 4 on the X739 is great in the spring. If I wanted a loader & could only have one tractor, it would be the 1025R

·
Premium Member
13,023 Posts
The FEL is one of those things which you can't imagine how often you will use it, until you own the tractor and FEL along with a set of pallet forks. For example, just yesterday, I used the FEL bucket and my commercial Billy Goat blower to clean up walnuts in a neighbors yard and off the street throughout the neighborhood.

Then I took the tractor and blower down the dirt road through the woods down to the river, to blow all of the leaves off the road so its safe for people to ride their bikes down the road and hill (it's shrouded in heavy tree cover and the leaves will get to be a foot deep or more in many places). Sure, I could have pushed the blower by hand as its intended, but the road is over a mile long so riding on the tractor and cleaning the road climbing the hill with the blower strapped to the FEL bucket is MUCH easier and faster...........

From mulch, bark, stone and everything else which is scooped by the bucket which makes the project much easier, having pallet forks for moving items is VERY handy.

The 1025r is a great machine, as is the x758. In fact, I consider the x758 THE Premier L&G tractor. The 1025r physically is bigger than the x758, especially with the FEL on it, which is why you would buy it. Also important, is the 3ph on the x758 is a limited lift 3 point hitch, which means it lifting height is limited, due to the low mounting points on the machine and the length of the 3ph arms. But its not a great deal different than the 3ph on the 1025r when it gets right down to it.

The X758 is an All Wheel Drive machine, which automatically engages the front drive wheels as needed for traction. The 1025r is a 4 Wheel Drive tractor, which requires the operator to manually engage the 4wd system. Realistically, this is really only a major concern if you are mowing steep hills or inclines as the x758 will engage the drive as needed and then release the AWD when not needed, where the 1025r will require the operator to stop and shift the tractor either into or out of the 4 wheel drive status. You don't want to turn the front wheels when mowing with the 1025r in 4wd as it will displace the turf and cause damage to the lawn.

Bottom line, you can't go wrong with either. The x758 is the best mowing L&G tractor sold on the planet, as far as I am concerned. I own a 2wd predecessor to the x758, which is a 455, which has been a tremendous machine. In fact, I have put 2,600+ hours on it. But I have to be honest, since getting the 1025r with the FEL and the Mauser cab, I rarely use the original tractor anymore. I used to mow with the 455 and it did a great job. Now I mow with a commercial zero turn and not with my 1025r.

One thing about the machine you have ordered, make sure you have plenty of storage room for tractor and the attachments, especially the bagger, etc. as they take up a lot of room. Expect whatever machine you end up with to consume one entire stall with the tractor and all of the attachments, of a typical attached large 3 car garage...................

The FEL is a very handy option for many uses, most of which are discovered after you own the machine. If Deere offered a FEL for the x758, then I would say stay with that machine and attachments. But a FEL isn't really available for the x758, which is why so many of us have moved up to the 1025r................Just know that should you need to sell either machine for any reason, the resale demand for either is very strong.............for well maintained machinery, which command nearly the price of a new machine..

Let us know what you decide..................

Reactions: 2032RJD

·
Registered
16 Posts
I’ve had a x738 4wd with snow blower and bagger and a big 17p dump trailer. I now a 1025r. Agree with all of the above, but I haven’t cut with the 1025 yet. Both require a separate garage bay and the 1025 is bigger, taller but not too much. I think there are aftermarket loaders for the x758. I came close to buying a 758 but did the math and was getting very close to the 1025r price After loading it up with add ons. I have 4 acres with 50% heavily wooded, so the versatility of the 1025 won the day, but it was more $ at the end of the day.

tell us what you’re going to use the tractor to do. Be honest with yourself. If your going to just cut grass and blow snow 90% of the time, the 758 is right choice in my book. My 738 was amazing and never let me down mowing, blowing snow, pulling yard waste or even medium sized downed trees ( they have a lot of grunt).

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
I was targeting an x738 when I bought my current property which has wet areas half the year.
When I went to pick it up I looked at the 1025r and drove it. It had very good maneuverability and if I had stayed with a base machine was near the same price.
I opted for the loader-backhoe for my two acres and it has been a godsend.
I have borrowed tillers and box blades and I can't imagine using these with a smaller machine.
Also the loader, I wouldn't want that on anything smaller.
If you do not plan on using attachments the 758 will be a more comfortable and smooth ride.
The 1025 with r4 tires is bumpy but other tire options will be softer.
Good luck with your purchase!

·
Registered
226 Posts
With a 1/4 acre it doesn’t sound like you need either. A push mower and a walk behind snow blower will be a lot cheaper. ;)

·
Registered
74 Posts
With a 1/4 acre it doesn’t sound like you need either. A push mower and a walk behind snow blower will be a lot cheaper. ;)
I will agree with that. I have an acre, I do a ton of projects, the X330 was plenty since I was renting L series Kubotas from a place not far from me for bigger stuff. Snowblower and mowing deck is all I had for years.

I got 1023e because I wanted to do some bigger landscaping projects when it worked for ME and not the rental place. I priced out what landscaping companies charge around here (A LOT since there is barely any competition), which added to the logic how I would have better ROI. I also love my neighbors, who are good to my kids, they are of my late parents' age, so I love helping them out, since I don't have my parents anymore. They are super generous with me and have given me tools and implements as a thank you.

X330 I could just cover with a tarp. Good enough. 1023e you have to have a spot for. That is an expensive machine to be left in the elements.

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
My 1023e has paid for itself in less than a year. I also owned an X580 and X738, upgrading to the 1023e in less than a year. I got my money back on the 738 and 580 owing less than a grand on the 1023e. I have plenty of attachments and it has never let me down. Cut quality is just fine, and if you purchase the mulch kit you won't have to rake or clean the yard. And, there is nothing about the 1025 that makes me wish I had spent more money. Capabilities are equal so they'll do the same job. Plus, you can get the JD 0% financing on the 1 series.

All that being said, a 1 series is overkill for a 1/4 acre lot. And, unless you to move a lot of dirt doing a ton of landscaping, etc. my suggestion for you would be an X590 or X738 with nothing larger than a 54" MMM.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The FEL is one of those things which you can't imagine how often you will use it, until you own the tractor and FEL along with a set of pallet forks. For example, just yesterday, I used the FEL bucket and my commercial Billy Goat blower to clean up walnuts in a neighbors yard and off the street throughout the neighborhood.

Then I took the tractor and blower down the dirt road through the woods down to the river, to blow all of the leaves off the road so its safe for people to ride their bikes down the road and hill (it's shrouded in heavy tree cover and the leaves will get to be a foot deep or more in many places). Sure, I could have pushed the blower by hand as its intended, but the road is over a mile long so riding on the tractor and cleaning the road climbing the hill with the blower strapped to the FEL bucket is MUCH easier and faster...........

From mulch, bark, stone and everything else which is scooped by the bucket which makes the project much easier, having pallet forks for moving items is VERY handy.

The 1025r is a great machine, as is the x758. In fact, I consider the x758 THE Premier L&G tractor. The 1025r physically is bigger than the x758, especially with the FEL on it, which is why you would buy it. Also important, is the 3ph on the x758 is a limited lift 3 point hitch, which means it lifting height is limited, due to the low mounting points on the machine and the length of the 3ph arms. But its not a great deal different than the 3ph on the 1025r when it gets right down to it.

The X758 is an All Wheel Drive machine, which automatically engages the front drive wheels as needed for traction. The 1025r is a 4 Wheel Drive tractor, which requires the operator to manually engage the 4wd system. Realistically, this is really only a major concern if you are mowing steep hills or inclines as the x758 will engage the drive as needed and then release the AWD when not needed, where the 1025r will require the operator to stop and shift the tractor either into or out of the 4 wheel drive status. You don't want to turn the front wheels when mowing with the 1025r in 4wd as it will displace the turf and cause damage to the lawn.

Bottom line, you can't go wrong with either. The x758 is the best mowing L&G tractor sold on the planet, as far as I am concerned. I own a 2wd predecessor to the x758, which is a 455, which has been a tremendous machine. In fact, I have put 2,600+ hours on it. But I have to be honest, since getting the 1025r with the FEL and the Mauser cab, I rarely use the original tractor anymore. I used to mow with the 455 and it did a great job. Now I mow with a commercial zero turn and not with my 1025r.

One thing about the machine you have ordered, make sure you have plenty of storage room for tractor and the attachments, especially the bagger, etc. as they take up a lot of room. Expect whatever machine you end up with to consume one entire stall with the tractor and all of the attachments, of a typical attached large 3 car garage...................

The FEL is a very handy option for many uses, most of which are discovered after you own the machine. If Deere offered a FEL for the x758, then I would say stay with that machine and attachments. But a FEL isn't really available for the x758, which is why so many of us have moved up to the 1025r................Just know that should you need to sell either machine for any reason, the resale demand for either is very strong.............for well maintained machinery, which command nearly the price of a new machine..

Let us know what you decide..................
I am pretty limited on space in the garage but someone just gave me a great idea.. a rack with shelfs which i could stack everything on pallets? Honestly the 1025r is narrower by an inch and I think longer by about 2.25 feet with the hitch on the 1025r.. without the hitch the 1025r is only a foot longer.. Is the hitch on a 2021 something that's not that hard to remove when storing the tractor? When I talked with the dealer I had him already order the parts for the PTO/3 Point but I don't believe they will open/install it till sometime mid next week.. so I would still have time to change my decision? Is there a return period or clause on any of this haha total noob here..?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My 1023e has paid for itself in less than a year. I also owned an X580 and X738, upgrading to the 1023e in less than a year. I got my money back on the 738 and 580 owing less than a grand on the 1023e. I have plenty of attachments and it has never let me down. Cut quality is just fine, and if you purchase the mulch kit you won't have to rake or clean the yard. And, there is nothing about the 1025 that makes me wish I had spent more money. Capabilities are equal so they'll do the same job. Plus, you can get the JD 0% financing on the 1 series.

All that being said, a 1 series is overkill for a 1/4 acre lot. And, unless you to move a lot of dirt doing a ton of landscaping, etc. my suggestion for you would be an X590 or X738 with nothing larger than a 54" MMM.
BOBL good points.. I was just talking to my wifes uncle about mulching instead of bagging with a powerflow.. if i can get away from the bagger and just add the mulch kit to the deck.. and save the money? I am well aware it's overkill but guys have to have there toys...I just wish i had more land and more space... in the future we might by land so this would be more useful...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
EG you are 100% right with this comment but the last thing I want to do after working is push a mower around.. my wife did discuss some landscaping options in the future that the 1025r would be useful for?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I was targeting an x738 when I bought my current property which has wet areas half the year.
When I went to pick it up I looked at the 1025r and drove it. It had very good maneuverability and if I had stayed with a base machine was near the same price.
I opted for the loader-backhoe for my two acres and it has been a godsend.
I have borrowed tillers and box blades and I can't imagine using these with a smaller machine.
Also the loader, I wouldn't want that on anything smaller.
If you do not plan on using attachments the 758 will be a more comfortable and smooth ride.
The 1025 with r4 tires is bumpy but other tire options will be softer.
Good luck with your purchase!
Jeff, those are all enticing inputs.. we have talked about buying land in the future...which this would be nice to have..

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I had the same questions and went with the 1026R in 2013. It will cut the grass just fine, BUT I only did that for the first season and then went back to my 445 and 54" mower deck. I did this not because of the cut quality, but my yard is loaded with trees and with the Cab on the 1026R I could not trim as well. You might have the same problem with the ROPs in the upright position. I also mow a lot more yard than you do. If I want to do it all in one day, it takes 6-7 hours. For mowing, you might be better off with a cheap box store Deere and then get the 1025R. I find so many uses for the FEL that I miss it when I install the Blower for the Winter. And Size wise, there is not much difference. I take the three Point linkage off for the winter and I can then park the 1026R in the same spot I use to park the 445 and Blower in the Garage. I like this arrangement as I don't have to walk through the Snow to get to the Barn where both tractors normally stay for the other three seasons. If you don't have a lot of low hanging tree branches, the 1025R will work out great.
Sundancer, I also have alot of trees in my backyard mainly pine trees.. but they are on the other edge and I only mow between 3 of them.. I am upgrading from a 332 to the X758/1025R so there is quite a size difference..

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
My bad back appreciates the FEL everyday. Don't just think of dirt work. You can use forks to get an appliance off the back of the truck or to hold an appliance at the doorway of the house so you don't have to lift over steps. Hold up lumber like a saw horse while you cut it up. Use the bucket as a debris collector for tree branches, tree nuts. etc.

The 3 point hitch can be taken off in under 5 minutes possibly even less than 1 minute after practice. There are only 4 pins to pull and it comes off.

Reactions: Jeff B

·
Registered
226 Posts
Ok, So I understand you want toys and don’t want to push mow. With less than a 1/4 acre as you’ve said I think your nuts thinking about a 1 series or even any x series made, much less an x7. A hd or lowes riding mower would be my pick since you don’t wanna push. Toys would be a race car, guns, boat etc. Way too much machine for that tiny of a yard imo. It’s your money, get what you want. My old house was a quarter acre, pushed it for 11 years. Rented a skid steer a few times in 11 years, never wanted or needed a tractor.

Reactions: Yellow_Jacket

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Ok, So I understand you want toys and don’t want to push mow. With less than a 1/4 acre as you’ve said I think your nuts thinking about a 1 series or even any x series made, much less an x7. A hd or lowes riding mower would be my pick since you don’t wanna push. Toys would be a race car, guns, boat etc. Way too much machine for that tiny of a yard imo. It’s your money, get what you want. My old house was a quarter acre, pushed it for 11 years. Rented a skid steer a few times in 11 years, never wanted or needed a tractor.
Thankfully you included “imo”.

No need to judge what others view as fun toys. I had 1/2 acre when I got my 1025r. Didn’t need it, but it provided amazing stress relief from the day job. …and in my case, led to a new career.

The 1025r is by far the most fun ‘toy’ I have ever purchased!

·
Registered
374 Posts
With less than a 1/4 acre as you’ve said I think your nuts thinking about a 1 series or even any x series made, much less an x7.
I have both an X754 and a 2025R TLB although with 5/8 of an acre I could use more equipment. Some folks think I'm nuts for that and other reasons but I am OK with it. I kind of wish I had kept the mini excavator.

·
Registered
168 Posts
As stated above its your money and do as you wish. I have an X758, 2038R and a 4066R on the way with 3 acres. However I take care of an additional 8 or so acres of adjoining neighboring lots and am on the hunt for a 20+ acre camping property. Still wayyy overkill but these tractors are my hobby. Gave up the race cars for it and I thouroughly enjoy all time spent on them, in them, tinkering with them etc. That being said, how hilly is your property?. The X758 is an absolute beast on hills, 20 degrees plus side hilling. However as mentioned a loader is an awesome tool you will find alot of used for. If the rops doesnt bother you and your lawn isn't crazy hilly, I say go for the 1025 👍

1 - 20 of 76 Posts