Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
2017 1025R TLB - H120 - 260 - 60D
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've only driven my 1025R on smooth pavement 2 or 3 times, but I've noticed that the tractor slightly bounces like a rear wheel/tire is out of round or maybe an axle is bent. It has never been abused while I've owned it. I was wondering if anyone has a similar experience on their 1 series driving on smooth pavement?

·
Premium Member
2020 1025R, 120R, 54D
2,919 Posts
What tires do you have?

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
You could have absolutely have tire that is out of round. May be able to break the bead and reseat it.

Are you using 2wd on pavement? 4x4 may cause your front tires to skip which might cause a bad ride.

·
Premium Member
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
R1 tires. Probably had it in 4WD, but I'll have to test that since I don't remember.

Edit: They are R4 tires.

·
Premium Member
2020 1025R, 120R, 54D
2,919 Posts
R1's are probably the worst ride on pavement due to the wide spacing on the lugs.

Check your air pressure too.

·
Premium Member
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I just had my wife drive it for me while I looked at it moving as fast as it could go on our driveway, but we would need to get out on the road to test and I can't do that right now (it's not safe, it's a state road, people drive crazy). Tire pressure is good. Our driveway is not that smooth (concrete with expansion joints) nor are the paved parts that long. I tried it in 2WD and 4WD, but I just don't get the same feel on our short driveway.

So, I'll have to wait until I transport it somewhere to get a good look at it in action.

It's something that's been in the back of my mind for a few years and was wondering if anyone here has the same bounce on their 1 series on a smooth road going as fast as possible.

Edit: it's more pronounced the faster you go

·
Registered
252 Posts
I think its normal every machine I've drove on pavement has had that bounce feel to it 👍🏻🙂
Including my 1025r with r4 tires

·
Premium Member
119 Posts
Mine too...

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
43,035 Posts
I've only driven my 1025R on smooth pavement 2 or 3 times, but I've noticed that the tractor slightly bounces like a rear wheel/tire is out of round or maybe an axle is bent. It has never been abused while I've owned it. I was wondering if anyone has a similar experience on their 1 series driving on smooth pavement?
The more weight you have hanging off the back the less bounce you will have. Especially if you are front end heavy (FEL). These small tractors weight next to nothing.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I have a 2006 2305 with Turf Tires. It has over 1400 hrs. on it and has had wheel bounce ever since it was new. Feels like a bias ply tire that's been sitting too long.

Don't worry about, just keep on bouncing.

·
Premium Member
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you all! At least I know mine isn’t the only one with a bounce.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
I have probably put 100 miles of paved road driving on my 1025R, transporting brush to a community burn pile or to the horse manure dump. I don't do it any longer since I bought a Kawasaki Mule for those tasks. The route is the same, over and over, about 2 miles one way. The road looks perfectly smooth, and it feels perfectly smooth driving over the same asphalt paved route in my Lexus or even my 3/4 ton pickup.

But to both the tractor and the Mule, the road is not perfectly smooth, Both bounce along certain parts of the road, even though the Mule has a suspension and the tractor does not. So, my idea is that their short wheelbases and small tires feel and react to the irregularities in the pavement that the eye doesn't see.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
If you have fluid in your tires I’ve seen it make it worse. Rim Guard in the winter can get pretty thick and then not flow very well.

·
Premium Member
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So, my idea is that their short wheelbases and small tires feel and react to the irregularities in the pavement that the eye doesn't see.
This is a continuous cyclic motion no matter where on the pavement I'm traveling. I have thought about it being the road, but the repeatable bounce suggests that it isn't the road. It could be, but I think it is unlikely. I appreciate your feedback. Thank you!

·
Premium Member
728 Posts
Just a note on mechanical front wheel drive. The manual warns against using it on pavement.

Reactions: TractorEd
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.