Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Tractor will turn over but will not start. Electrical seems to be ok cause all headlights and dash lights work as advertised. The battery is pretty old (2015). I am going to put a Battery Tender on it to see if that helps to narrow it down as well as putting a ohms meter on it. All the other troubleshooting things I have found online thus far, I already completed before winter set in. Please if anyone has any suggestions please let me know. I am trying not to get JD involved cause money and if not needed but I hope, if JD gets involved, it’s a on the spot fix instead of hauling it in to their shop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
No crank or no fire?

·
Premium Member
19,882 Posts
If battery is a 2015 ,,,, IMO first have the battery tested at
Wally world, AutoZone, Advance Auto or some where they can put a load on your battery..

My guess ,, Battery is BAD , needs replaced..

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
My guess would be battery also. 2015, yea maybe time for a new one.

Reactions: Pigpen and JR Diyer

·
Premium Member
1025r with Mauser cab.
14,690 Posts
Does the battery turn the engine over at the cranking speed like when it always did start? The battery must be load tested, even if its cranking the engine over.

But if the engine is cranking over at the speed which normally would start it, I would check to make sure the fuel separator is full on the engine block where the filter is located. If it is, chances are the fuel shut off is not opening, which is why the engine is not starting. But we need more specific details before we can conclude anything, including an answer to the question at the start of this post........We will get it running, just need more details.

Also, is the tractor inside or out?
What is the temp where the tractor is located?

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Does the battery turn the engine over at the cranking speed like when it always did start? The battery must be load tested, even if its cranking the engine over.

But if the engine is cranking over at the speed which normally would start it, I would check to make sure the fuel separator is full on the engine block where the filter is located. If it is, chances are the fuel shut off is not opening, which is why the engine is not starting. But we need more specific details before we can conclude anything, including an answer to the question at the start of this post........We will get it running, just need more details.

Also, is the tractor inside or out?
What is the temp where the tractor is located?
First thanks! The tractor is outside under an overhang. Temp is aprox 60 degrees at night.

·
Registered
2015 2025r 62mmm h130 af10f plow forks 62 disc ripper and a woods m5 Dixie mower
1,194 Posts
Are you sure you have fuel to the engine check the shut off valve and do you hear the fuel pump running when key is on

·
Premium Member
4,798 Posts
Is it turning over like normal or kinda sluggish turning over?

Reactions: SulleyBear

·
Premium Member
1025r with Mauser cab.
14,690 Posts
Diesel engines are actually very simple. They need 12 volts to spin the starter, run the lift pump on the fuel and open the fuel shut off switch. They need fuel to burn. There is no ignition system, the heat and the compression in the cylinder, along with the injection of the fuel under very high pressure (25,000 PSI+) cause the fuel to ignite. They need air flow through the air cleaner, which is not electric in any way and usually isn't the cause of an engine not starting. So when the diesel doesn't start, you;

1. Make sure the 12 volt battery can turn the engine over, open the fuel shut off switch and operate the pump to lift the fuel from the tank to the injector pump. The injector pump is gear driven off the engine camshaft so when the engine turns over, it compresses and injects the fuel.

2. Make sure the fuel is getting to the injector pump, which means the 12 volt fuel shut off is opening. The shut off has a strong magnet it in when the power is turned off (with the key), the magnet shuts the switch, closing the fuel flow, stopping the engine. When a fuel shut off switch goes bad, it won't open. Some models can be manually opened although on the 1025r, its not very easy since the shut off switch is incorporated into the injector pump. The fuel switch is the "SNAP" or loud click you hear on many tractors when you turn the key on to warm up the glow plugs. It's not as loud of a snap on the 1025r due to it being located in the injector pump (verses being a separate location like it was on earlier models), but you can still hear the "click" when the switch opens, which is the magnet being released with the current flow when the switch is powered.

3. Make sure fuel is getting through the fuel filters with the small under floor filter being a chronic issue and the fuel filter in the glass fuel bowl on the separator being the 2nd place to check for fuel. Also when checking the fuel separator, make sure the red ring in the bottom of the separator isn't floating in the fuel, as that indicates water in the diesel fuel and water doesn't burn very well, especially in large concentrations or quantities.

At 60 degrees, you shouldn't even need the glow plugs to ignite the fuel. They help make the process easier and faster, but if they aren't working, the engine will still usually start, it just takes some more cranking of the starter..............

If the battery is weak and isn't ;
-spinning the engine starter fast enough to start the engine
-opening the fuel shut off switch
-operating the fuel pump and getting fuel to the injector pump
-not operating the glow plugs

the engine usually won't start.........

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
Diesel engines are actually very simple. They need 12 volts to spin the starter, run the lift pump on the fuel and open the fuel shut off switch. They need fuel to burn. There is no ignition system, the heat and the compression in the cylinder, along with the injection of the fuel under very high pressure (25,000 PSI+) cause the fuel to ignite. They need air flow through the air cleaner, which is not electric in any way and usually isn't the cause of an engine not starting. So when the diesel doesn't start, you;

1. Make sure the 12 volt battery can turn the engine over, open the fuel shut off switch and operate the pump to lift the fuel from the tank to the injector pump. The injector pump is gear driven off the engine camshaft so when the engine turns over, it compresses and injects the fuel.

2. Make sure the fuel is getting to the injector pump, which means the 12 volt fuel shut off is opening. The shut off has a strong magnet it in when the power is turned off (with the key), the magnet shuts the switch, closing the fuel flow, stopping the engine. When a fuel shut off switch goes bad, it won't open. Some models can be manually opened although on the 1025r, its not very easy since the shut off switch is incorporated into the injector pump. The fuel switch is the "SNAP" or loud click you hear on many tractors when you turn the key on to warm up the glow plugs. It's not as loud of a snap on the 1025r due to it being located in the injector pump (verses being a separate location like it was on earlier models), but you can still hear the "click" when the switch opens, which is the magnet being released with the current flow when the switch is powered.

3. Make sure fuel is getting through the fuel filters with the small under floor filter being a chronic issue and the fuel filter in the glass fuel bowl on the separator being the 2nd place to check for fuel. Also when checking the fuel separator, make sure the red ring in the bottom of the separator isn't floating in the fuel, as that indicates water in the diesel fuel and water doesn't burn very well, especially in large concentrations or quantities.

At 60 degrees, you shouldn't even need the glow plugs to ignite the fuel. They help make the process easier and faster, but if they aren't working, the engine will still usually start, it just takes some more cranking of the starter..............

This does not sound like a battery issue.

john Deere 1025R
loader
backhoe
47 in tiller
47 blower
5ft landscape rake
10 KW pto generator
Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1025r with Mauser cab.
14,690 Posts
This does not sound like a battery issue.
Hard to say as the specifics of the problem are pretty vague. Likely a fuel shut off switch or fuel issue, but without details of exactly WHAT is wrong other than "won't start", its anyone's guess at this point...............

·
Premium Member
17,084 Posts
Hard to say as the specifics of the problem are pretty vague. Likely a fuel shut off switch or fuel issue, but without details of exactly WHAT is wrong other than "won't start", its anyone's guess at this point...............
The OP stated "Tractor will turn over but will not start." Granted, there are things that need to be checked but that seems like a fairly clear description of the problem.

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
The OP stated "Tractor will turn over but will not start." Granted, there are things that need to be checked but that seems like a fairly clear description of the problem.
My guess would be the little filter under the floor board. I would take the cartridge filter , drain it and see how long it takes to fill back up with turning on the ignition key. Sounds more like that than the battery.

john Deere 1025R
loader
backhoe
47 in tiller
47 blower
5ft landscape rake
10 KW pto generator

Reactions: bama21fs

·
Registered
135 Posts
1) Charge Battery and have load tested.
2) Check Fuses
3) Check manual fuel shut of.
4) Check Shutdown soleoind for operation.

Reactions: bama21fs

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My guess would be the little filter under the floor board. I would take the cartridge filter , drain it and see how long it takes to fill back up with turning on the ignition key. Sounds more like that than the battery.

john Deere 1025R
loader
backhoe
47 in tiller
47 blower
5ft landscape rake
10 KW pto generator
I’ll look but I just changed that filter before winter set in. Thanks, Will check that.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Thank you so much for the knowledge!

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Is it turning over like normal or kinda sluggish turning over?
No sluggishness

Reactions: Big

·
Premium Member
4,798 Posts
Sounds like air in the lines or clogged in line filter. Probably filter, but those tend to shut the tractor down while operating. That's my 2c

Reactions: MattL

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
Sounds like air in the lines or clogged in line filter. Probably filter, but those tend to shut the tractor down while operating. That's my 2c
Quickest way to figure it out if a fuel issue is to drain the primary and see how long it takes/or if it fills. Won't even have to get down and look at that PITA filter under the floor boards.

john Deere 1025R
loader
backhoe
47 in tiller
47 blower
5ft landscape rake
10 KW pto generator

·
Premium Member
19,882 Posts
1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.