Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not connected with this fella...thought you might enjoy the video as over the years there have been several threads here at GTT about the topic.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
That's rather interesting and impressive. He said in video that you could hear the turbo and by gosh you can. My 3520 sure as heck doesn't sound like that and most wouldn't know it had a turbo unless they looked under the hood or I told them.

·
Registered
12,523 Posts
Now-i bet them fellas who have flames on their :greentractorride:'s would be highly interested in this.:flag_of_truce::laugh:

·
Administrator
20,917 Posts
Now-i bet them fellas who have flames on their :greentractorride:'s would be highly interested in this.:flag_of_truce::laugh:
No sir. I'm interested in an engineered package that will operate faithfully for many years to come. Reliability and parts availability is key to longevity.

It is pretty cool to see something like this, but I wouldn't do it.

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
It does not add pump capacity so it just waists fuel.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Reactions: gbnpp05

·
Official "Groovie" Dude
5,663 Posts
Neat idea and good for him. I still have mine on the shelf and stuff like this reminds me I need to finish my project.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
At the end of the day you are shoving air into a 1 liter engine, you can only shove so much. To me the benefit is not worth the small gains in power. I read a thread at Weekend Freedom Machines where someone put a turbo on an older JD with a yanmar. Very little gain in the way of horsepower at the end of the day and the owner wasn't as pleased as he thought he might be, it was more for show than actual power gains.

I would say if you install a turbo then you need to look at upgrading the fuel system to feed it so it becomes an upward spiral of cost and upgraded components. You also might consider making the bottom end stronger or keep the PSI fairly low for durability. Looks and sounds neat, if you have the time, skill, money and desire then do it.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Reactions: pcabe5

·
Registered
968 Posts
In all seriousness if the engine is not mechanical drive (vs hydro) and torque or RPM is increased how do you achieve a benefit?

The pump or hydraulics converts the engine out put work to output of the tractor and if the power/torque in is not wasted in the conversion by rpm limit how does one see an increase?

Can say 50% to 75% increase in torque input be handled by the PTO, pump, and system? (Assume RPM is in same range)

All questions, I know but it just got me thinking...............

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
At the end of the day you are shoving air into a 1 liter engine, you can only shove so much. T
Mine is shoving air into a 1.5 liter Yanmar,, that adds 15% to the maximum HP,,,

Isn't this an "fuel economy" thing??
The excess fuel is not used, unless you need the power.

If the mowing is easy, the engine loafs along,, hit some tall grass,, the injectors pump in more fuel.

Otherwise, a naturally aspirated engine would have to be over 2 liters for the same HP and torque??

:dunno:

This engine has a heck of a big cooling fan for the small engine,,, :flag_of_truce:

·
Registered
474 Posts
If it doesn't perform like this, I'm not impressed:laugh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71kaVseYMFk

I was gonna post the exact same thing!

I love turbos, I use turbos, I build loads of power and torque with turbos...I just don't see the point of doing what was done. If you aren't using a MAF to measure and tune the input and you aren't turning up the pump there is no benefit to putting a turbo on.

If a flow-rate of say 'X' gives you 24.9 HP in a diesel with normal atmospheric pressures (~14psi) then adding double the pressure at 28psi is going to give you what? Without increasing the fuel flow you will still make 24.9 HP, you will have an annoying whine to put up with and you have added a $1k+ to your parts list without adding any performance. You MIGHT get a little performance gain when you first start to lug the motor but only if your impeller is so small that spooling happens fast enough to be beneficial.

Sorry, when I spend money for parts it better be to get better performance. Spending money on parts just to have them or replace worn ones is boring...

·
Premium Member
2,143 Posts
No sir. I'm interested in an engineered package that will operate faithfully for many years to come. Reliability and parts availability is key to longevity.

It is pretty cool to see something like this, but I wouldn't do it.
AGREE BIG TIME!!!!! :good2:

·
Official "Groovie" Dude
5,663 Posts
Many Yanmar turbo projects on the web. A few tractors but mainly gators. I had some pictures of a guy who did a 2520 and last I spoke to him the engine had over a 1000 hours on it with the turbo. You'll not get a lot of boost from these, 5-7psi is about it.

·
Administrator
20,917 Posts
Extra air without fuel does nothing for power. Recalibrating the injection pump would be required, but without proper testing and prior knowledge of what to set it to, how would you do that? Most pumps meant for turbo engines have pressure feedback to allow proper fueling curves to be applied. Without that feedack all you can do is turn up the "smoke screw" and hope for the best. It's like trying to tube a carb in the dark with no light or tools. You have no idea what's actually happening in the engine. Real testing requires lots of instruments and various workloads applied over lots of environmental variations. Extra fuel = more power (sometimes) but also = more heat. This extra heat can be very dangerous very very quickly in a diesel. Uncontrolled fueling can literally melt pistons in the blink of an eye and send them out the exhaust stack. This is why I made the comment about engineered package. There is so much more into installing a turbo than just bolting it up and making the plumbing work.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Mine is shoving air into a 1.5 liter Yanmar,, that adds 15% to the maximum HP,,,

Isn't this an "fuel economy" thing??
The excess fuel is not used, unless you need the power.

If the mowing is easy, the engine loafs along,, hit some tall grass,, the injectors pump in more fuel.

Otherwise, a naturally aspirated engine would have to be over 2 liters for the same HP and torque??

:dunno:

This engine has a heck of a big cooling fan for the small engine,,, :flag_of_truce:

OK let us assume the HP increases to 29 HP and at the same RPM, call it 3100 RPM. To make a turbo effective or efficient a minimum RPM range needs to be achieved to turn the impeller to add pressure. I know turbo's need to spool up. But I have no idea what the turbo puts out at lesser RPM say 1800. My guess is it would add nothing. Maybe nothing till 2800 RPM....?

Torque out put my guess would be similar. But keep in mind torque peaks around 2600. A turbo might be just starting to spool up here.

I know only enough to be dangerous here but find this interesting.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
I know only enough to be dangerous here but find this interesting.
I know even less,, so today, I had to test the new-to-me 1.5 liter turbo Yanmar.

I hooked the 90 inch flail mower to it,, and ran it up hill through some 8" tall grass.

That little 1.5 liter engine did not know the flail was back there,, 5.5 MPH,,,

The turbo has to be contributing something,,,

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Guy seems pretty chill. Nice to see experimentation. I would think he should get a small gain even if he doesn't adjust fuel, but I would not mess with adding a turbo if I didn't have a way to adjust the fuel and monitor egt. I'm confused by something he said though. He stated the tractor would only use a small percentage of the boost that turbo would produce and talked about blocking off the wastegate passage. Wouldn't that scenario actually mean that much of the boost produced would in fact get diverted out the wastegate more or less constantly under load?

Reactions: pcabe5 and ky_shawn

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Guy seems pretty chill. Nice to see experimentation. I would think he should get a small gain even if he doesn't adjust fuel, but I would not mess with adding a turbo if I didn't have a way to adjust the fuel and monitor egt. I'm confused by something he said though. He stated the tractor would only use a small percentage of the boost that turbo would produce and talked about blocking off the wastegate passage. Wouldn't that scenario actually mean that much of the boost produced would in fact get diverted out the wastegate more or less constantly under load?
That's what I got out of the video, a chill guy goofing around for the most part. I don't think he made any outrageous claims or empty promises. I basically got from the video that all he was trying to do was make some sound, which he did accomplish

1 - 20 of 49 Posts