Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Can someone tell me the benefit of having a 3 pt blower oppose to the standard front blower? Sorry for my naive mentality but I can’t seem to understand why anyone would prefer a rear blower over the front or in a situation where the rear blower would be more suited for the task. Is there a significant power advantage between the two?

Reactions: kylew

·
Super Moderator
2,607 Posts
Can someone tell me the benefit of having a 3 pt blower oppose to the standard front blower? Sorry for my naive mentality but I can’t seem to understand why anyone would prefer a rear blower over the front or in a situation where the rear blower would be more suited for the task. Is there a significant power advantage between the two?
One thing is the cost is much less.

Reactions: CMoua

·
Premium Member
13,083 Posts
I can give you a few......

• Size being the same a 3PH snow blower is a little over 1/2 the cost of a front snow blower.
  • In almost all cases the 3PH snow blower will be built much heavier than a front blower. Larger bearings, heavier chain, larger gear box, heavier steel impeller, etc.
  • There are typically more parts available for a 3PH blower. Example, with a 3PH blower most manufacturers sell parts to rebuild the gearbox. With the front blower (JD for example) only sells the front gearbox as a complete assy.
  • A 3PH blower works opposite a front blower and usually runs slower. A front blower will typically be driven by the high speed mid-PTO (2100 RPM) through a 2-piece drive shaft running through carrier bearings. It will then use a gearbox or chain to reduce the speed to ~900 RPM to turn the impeller. It will use a bevel gearbox to drive the auger from the impeller. A 3PH blower runs the impeller directly off the 540 RPM rear PTO and uses a right-angle gearbox, chain and sprockets to drive the auger. Meaning, the 3PH blower drive train is much simpler.
  • A 3PH blower typically has a much taller housing and a much larger impeller than a comparable front blower, allowing it to handle deeper snows and throw the snow much farther.
  • A 3PH snow blower is tractor independent... meaning it will work on any tractor with a 3-point hitch. A front blower by comparison is specific to one brand of tractor and typically only fits a few models or model years of tractor.
  • Because it is tractor brand independent, when shopping for a 3PH blower you have a choice of many different brands and sizes. With a front blower you typically only have one choice, the one the tractor manufacturer offers.
  • It could be debatable but a 3PH blower is easier to attach, especially with a Quick Hitch.
There are probably more but these are all I could think of off the top of my head.

Reactions: CMoua

·
Registered
77 Posts
I can give you a few......

• Size being the same a 3PH snow blower is a little over 1/2 the cost of a front snow blower.
  • In almost all cases the 3PH snow blower will be built much heavier than a front blower. Larger bearings, heavier chain, larger gear box, heavier steel impeller, etc.
  • There are typically more parts available for a 3PH blower. Example, with a 3PH blower most manufacturers sell parts to rebuild the gearbox. With the front blower (JD for example) only sells the front gearbox as a complete assy.
  • A 3PH blower works opposite a front blower and usually runs slower. A front blower will typically be driven by the high speed mid-PTO (2100 RPM) through a 2-piece drive shaft running through carrier bearings. It will then use a gearbox or chain to reduce the speed to ~900 RPM to turn the impeller. It will use a bevel gearbox to drive the auger from the impeller. A 3PH blower runs the impeller directly off the 540 RPM rear PTO and uses a right-angle gearbox, chain and sprockets to drive the auger. Meaning, the 3PH blower drive train is much simpler.
  • A 3PH blower typically has a much taller housing and a much larger impeller than a comparable front blower, allowing it to handle deeper snows and throw the snow much farther.
  • A 3PH snow blower is tractor independent... meaning it will work on any tractor with a 3-point hitch. A front blower by comparison is specific to one brand of tractor and typically only fits a few models or model years of tractor.
  • Because it is tractor brand independent, when shopping for a 3PH blower you have a choice of many different brands and sizes. With a front blower you typically only have one choice, the one the tractor manufacturer offers.
  • It could be debatable but a 3PH blower is easier to attach, especially with a Quick Hitch.
There are probably more but these are all I could think of off the top of my head.
Thank you! That starter list gave me a lot to think about.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Another benefit is you can leave your loader on to scrape or get closer to stuff. Or buy a blade for loader brackets then windrow it then blow it.
with all that being said I won’t give inand buy a 3point blower. Use them on the big tractor on the farm and I like looking forward. Plus you can get a little down pressure with the front mount. Vs having to adjust the top link. But if you have hydraulically adjusted top link then that’s not a bother. We just have to make adjustments on the big tractor so we don’t suck up gravel before the ground is frozen solid. There again if blowing on concrete or asphalt not a issue.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts