Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is definitely an improvement! I was in a hurry, so I just bolted the new seat on with the 2 forward bolts. Taking it easy, I mowed for 2 hrs and the next day spent 3+ hrs with the land plane. Incredible!

Even my wife noticed that I didn't complain about a sore stiff back after mowing.

This was with the new suspension seat bolted on top of the lousy floppy bucking bronco JD 260 backhoe swivel seat mount. Now I'll go ahead and fab up a proper mount for the new seat without the swivel. I don't have any backhoe jobs coming soon and I've done a lot of backhoe work making long trenches by just turning my body sideways to work the hoe. That's faster than getting off and on to move forward when making long trenches. Maybe I can figure a mod to the swivel mount to take out the slop and lower it at the same time or lower it and anchor it down.

Thanks to the guys on GTT who led me to this seat. I wish I had done this at 10 hrs instead of 300+ hrs.

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
We do expect photos and a full "how to" write up of the finished product.....

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,269 Posts
PICS, there has to be pics!!!

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Milsco V5300 seat - more

I got the seat from Seat Warehouse after reviewing prices, availability, and shipping costs online. Seat Warehouse had a variety of seats, but after checking sizes and features, the V5300 seemed like the best choice. I'm not only happy with the seat, but I'm also very pleased with Seat Warehouse. The delivery truck dropped, and I do mean dropped, the seat in front of my shop when no one was home. A hole in the side of the carton attested to rough handling. The seat had been in the driveway for about a week while we were out of town. After putting the seat on the 1025R I realized that the adjustment mechanism for the left arm rest was broken - the arm rest just sagged down if any pressure was on it. I knew it'd be impossible to claim the damage and get a settlement from the trucking company, so I tried gluing the plastic part. That was unsuccessful so I called Seat Warehouse and explained the problem, asking if I could just buy the part. The man there asked me to email a photo of the piece so he could be sure of the exact part in question. The next day he emailed back that the part would arrive free of charge via priority mail. That's good service on top of the best price and free shipping. :good2:

·
Registered
205 Posts
I have debated about the V5300 for my 2305 for years. I got a $100 suspension seat last spring and though it’s better I have promised myself to get the Milsco this winter. I have scoured the inter webs for years and have lots of photos etc. Your delivery/damage experience is a common part of the stories I have read. I’m glad Seat Warehouse was good to work with. Thanks for your post.

Bob

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
1025R Milsco seat fitment

OK. Here in NorCal the Camp Fire smoke is so bad I really can't work outside, so I finally figured out how to get this seat to fit properly without a lot of cutting and magical fab work.

This Milsco V5300 seat can fit on a 2016 1025R with rotating backhoe seat easily. Just remove the stock seat and with a pry bar, pop out those lousy JD springs. This is easy with the seat mount horizontal. Don't try it with seat tilted forward.

Now check for sloppy lateral play and straighten the front mounts so your seat platform is not moving sideways because of bent front mounts. Try sliding the seat platform laterally and you'll probably see a lot of slop where the platform hinges forward. A large Crescent wrench is a good tool for this work. Photos of this in tomorrow's post.

Now use a dry film spray lube on all of the moving parts. Your seat platform should be easy to tilt forward and rotate upward as if you were turning the seat for backhoe use.

Sorry about the tease, but tomorrow you'll get the photos and instructions on modifying the Milsco seat tracks to fit the JD seat platform. This is pretty easy. I hope posting the photos is as easy as the work on the seat mount was today. Oh, you must do a short cut on the JD platform, too. Photos tomorrow.

This seat is a fantastic improvement. I put about 50 hrs on the tractor with this seat perched up high and still rocking around like the stock back hoe seat does. Then I figured out how to get this new seat lower and solid without any fab work. And it still turns to raise like it did originally without that slop and with the suspension of the V5300 Milsco seat. Today after getting this job done, and despite the horrible air quality, I mowed 1.5 acres and it was like riding on a cloud - and my place isn't perfectly level like a golf course, despite the work I've done. With it mounted at the property height and by using the fwd/aft adjustments, it's sure a huge improvement.

Now who wants the 1025R seat with arm rests? Never overnight outdoors, looks like new. More tomorrow after I get photos out of the camera.

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
OK. Here in NorCal the Camp Fire smoke is so bad I really can't work outside, so I finally figured out how to get this seat to fit properly without a lot of cutting and magical fab work.

This Milsco V5300 seat can fit on a 2016 1025R with rotating backhoe seat easily. Just remove the stock seat and with a pry bar, pop out those lousy JD springs. This is easy with the seat mount horizontal. Don't try it with seat tilted forward.

Now check for sloppy lateral play and straighten the front mounts so your seat platform is not moving sideways because of bent front mounts. Try sliding the seat platform laterally and you'll probably see a lot of slop where the platform hinges forward. A large Crescent wrench is a good tool for this work. Photos of this in tomorrow's post.

Now use a dry film spray lube on all of the moving parts. Your seat platform should be easy to tilt forward and rotate upward as if you were turning the seat for backhoe use.

Sorry about the tease, but tomorrow you'll get the photos and instructions on modifying the Milsco seat tracks to fit the JD seat platform. This is pretty easy. I hope posting the photos is as easy as the work on the seat mount was today. Oh, you must do a short cut on the JD platform, too. Photos tomorrow.

This seat is a fantastic improvement. I put about 50 hrs on the tractor with this seat perched up high and still rocking around like the stock back hoe seat does. Then I figured out how to get this new seat lower and solid without any fab work. And it still turns to raise like it did originally without that slop and with the suspension of the V5300 Milsco seat. Today after getting this job done, and despite the horrible air quality, I mowed 1.5 acres and it was like riding on a cloud - and my place isn't perfectly level like a golf course, despite the work I've done. With it mounted at the property height and by using the fwd/aft adjustments, it's sure a huge improvement.

Now who wants the 1025R seat with arm rests? Never overnight outdoors, looks like new. More tomorrow after I get photos out of the camera.
I'd be interested in your 1025R seat if the price and shipping makes it worthwhile for the two of us.

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
Seat warehouse has a swivel seat with air ride for 399. Search for #hb. I wonder if this would completely repace the entire seat set up on a 1025R FILB? My not be a Milco...

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)

As promised, here's how I did this seat swap:
READ THE DIRECTIONS COMPLETELY BEFORE STARTING THIS PROJECT. Thanks.

Sorry, but I couldn't manipulate the photos to be in the correct order. It took longer to write this up than to do the work.

TOOLS:
Hammer and drift punch or bench press
Center punch to mark holes
5/16" drill bit
5/16 - 18 tap
file
tape measure
1/2" socket
1/2" wrench
7/16" wrench
hacksaw
pry bar (not shown in photo)

The first problem is that the bolt holes for the JD seat don't match up with the Milsco seat tracks.
The second problem is fitting the neutral safety switch to the new seat. DON"T do this mod until you figure it out or until I do.
When I do, I'll post the solution.

First: Remove the JD seat by tilting it forward.
Second: Remove the neutral safety switch from the bottom of the seat.
Third: Unbolt the seat and set it aside.

That was easy and it won't get any tougher as you mod the new seat tracks to fit the JD 260 Backhoe seat mount.

1. Remove the tracks from the bottom of the Milsco seat. Save the bolts and the plastic spacers that are between the tracks and the seat.
2. Remove the rear stud from the Milsco seat track by pressing it out with a vice. Use a good 5/16 nut flush with the end of the stud so you don't warp the stud threads or bend the stud. Be careful you don't spread or bend the seat tracks. A regular press would have been better, but I don't have one - yet. See the photo of the track in the vice.
3. Drill a new 5/16" hole in the track 9 3/8" (center to center) from the forward stud. Be careful - this new hole has to be in the center of the track and exactly 9 3/8" from the forward stud so the new stud and the forward stud will fit into the JD seat platform.
4. Re-thread that new hole with a 5/16-18 tap. Screw the stud in as far as it will go, then press it firmly into the track. I used a punch and large hammer to press the stud into the new hole. See the track photo. The rear stud is in the new hole leaving the aft hole vacant.
5. Trial fit the tracks to the JD seat platform. They should fit into the stock holes without binding if you did #3 and #4 correctly.
6. Cut all of the the studs off so they are 3/4" long and dress the threads with a file. I did this with the power hacksaw. Old timer trick: before you cut the stud, put a good 5/16 nut onto the stud below where you will cut it, then cut the stud, dress the sharp edges with a file and unscrew the nut. That ensures your threads are in good shape.
7. Using the bolts and plastic spacers you originally removed from the new seat and with the seat upside down, reinstall the adjustable track on the left side using the inner hole of the seat bottom. Again using the plastic spacers, reinstall the slave track on the right side of the seat bottom using the outer mounting holes.
8. Cut off the edge of the seat base/platform at the rear edge. It isn't straight across horizontally when the seat platform is down. Look at it from the rear of the tractor and you'll see how it slopes up on the right side. Cut off that rear edge so it's straight horizontally. The power hacksaw made quick work of it when the base was tilted forward. The photo shows this with the seat base tilted forward. See the photo for where to cut it off. That little raised edge will prevent the new seat from sitting down fully level on the backhoe seat platform. The power hacksaw made easy work of this.
9. Remove the two big springs from under the JD seat platform. I used a pry bar with the platform in the down position and was able to pry upwards and sideways at the bottom of the springs. When they pop out, the seat base will want to lower. Watch your fingers.
10. Place the new seat carefully (don't bend or wreck the studs) onto the seat platform and bolt it down.
11. I used safety wire across the seat neutral safety switch to compress the switch, thereby disabling that feature. I'll figure out how and where to mount it later.
If you want that feature to work, DON"T do this until you figure out how to mount the switch on the new seat.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
1025R Milsco seat switch solution

Today I didn't want to remove the seat, but it was necessary to correct a lousy situation that I left half done: the Operator Presence Switch/Neutral Safety Switch that I didn't rig up before is something I didn't like. The tractor could be left in gear and the engine running without a person in the seat without this switch or with it disabled. That's a stupid half-a**ed way to get hurt. :nunu:

Well, what do you know? There's such a switch already installed in the bottom of the Milsco V5300 seat and the plug on it is just like the one on the JD seat. :bigthumb:

Solution? :good2:
1. Unbolt the Milsco seat tracks from the platform. I leaned it backwards against the lower cross bar of the ROPS to avoid lifting the seat completely off the tractor while I did this job.
2. Peel back the plastic protective sleeve and cut the wires off the JD harness about 6" from the plug that goes onto the switch. With the ignition off, this circuit isn't hot.
3. Add 8" of new wire so the wiring harness will be long enough to allow the seat to be tilted forward and rotated just as before (260 backhoe seat). I soldered the wires and covered them with heat shrink.
4. I covered the wiring with the same kind of plastic flex stuff that JD used and I anchored it with zip-ties to prevent chafing and tangling. You'll need 8" of new plastic sleeve.
5. Plug the lengthened JD harness into the switch on the bottom of the new seat, using the oval shaped hole, not the square hole in the seat bottom.
6. Route the wires so they aren't pinched.
5. Sit on the seat platform with your foot on the brake, start the tractor, let it idle and with your foot on the brake pedal, shift into gear. The engine should quit. If not, check your wiring.
6. When check #5 works, again ensure the wires aren't pinched as you install the seat on the platform and bolt it down.
7. Sit on the seat and with your foot on the brake, start the engine, and at idle, put the tractor into gear. The engine should quit.
You're done!

If I had read the seat info more carefully (the flames on the tractor make it too fast) and inspected the new seat looking for a switch hidden up inside the seat base, I would have done it right the first time :banghead: And I'd have avoided removal of the seat a second time. :laugh:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
Seat warehouse has a swivel seat with air ride for 399. Search for #hb. I wonder if this would completely repace the entire seat set up on a 1025R FILB? My not be a Milco...

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Checked with the seat warehouse. They indicate that they have no seats that would work with the 1025RTLB. That said, I think they are referring to an actual swivel seat. :dunno:

But this is why I ask how high is the seat from the floor boards?

Reactions: Danny D and PJR832

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
1025R seat for sale

I'd be interested in your 1025R seat if the price and shipping makes it worthwhile for the two of us.
Check your text messages re: the seat. It's packed and ready to go if you still want it.

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
V5300 Milsco seat on 1025R TLTB

Checked with the seat warehouse. They indicate that they have no seats that would work with the 1025RTLB. That said, I think they are referring to an actual swivel seat. :dunno:

But this is why I ask how high is the seat from the floor boards?
1. They're right. They have no seat that THEY know of for this tractor with backhoe swivel mechanism. Seat Warehouse sells all kinds of seats, but if the specific application isn't listed by the seat manufacturer, the answer will always be negative. That way Seat Warehouse people aren't bogged down telling people how to do mods and they don't get bad PR when somebody screws up the mod. This is also why they say when you order a seat, you bought it. No returns.

2. They don't sell a swivel seat for the 1025R, but this V5300 seat can easily be put onto the JD swivel platform and it'll swivel and raise just like the original yellow seat did. To easy fit for the Milsco seat so it'll raise and swivel like the factory JD seat requires re-positioning of the Milsco seat mounting studs that are on the Milsco seat fwd/aft adjustment rails. That's what I did in the post above.

Seat height from the floorboard with the suspension set for 160 lb rider: Barely 21" to the top of the forward edge of seat cushion. With 160 lb'r on the seat, the seat lowered about an inch.

You seem to have given this seat swap some thought, so here are some of my considerations when doing this job:
1. I didn't want my knees hitting the steering wheel.
2. I didn't want to have to stretch too far to reach the pedals or steering wheel.
3. I didn't want to increase the loaded CG by having me and the seat up any higher than necessary.

Seat Height:
Because both fore/aft adjusters are now under the seat, I can use either or both adjusters to get the fore/aft adjustment set like it was originally. The Milsco rails are still adjustable, but slightly limited in their travel because of the new stud location. No problem - the JD adjustment range is unchanged, so I set the Milsco fore/aft adjustment in the middle and then use the JD adjustmet tracks to put the seat where I want it.

It would have been much more work to eliminate the Milsco seat adjustment rails. For me, it wasn't worth it to remove the rails and the entire JD seat swivel mechanism, then modify the JD mechanism, attach the new seat and mount the whole mess again - all to get only 3/4" lower. For me, that's not enough benefit for the work involved.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Fantastic & Prescient Posts Minuteman17!

1. They're right. They have no seat that THEY know of for this tractor with backhoe swivel mechanism. Seat Warehouse sells all kinds of seats, but if the specific application isn't listed by the seat manufacturer, the answer will always be negative. That way Seat Warehouse people aren't bogged down telling people how to do mods and they don't get bad PR when somebody screws up the mod. This is also why they say when you order a seat, you bought it. No returns.

2. They don't sell a swivel seat for the 1025R, but this V5300 seat can easily be put onto the JD swivel platform and it'll swivel and raise just like the original yellow seat did. To easy fit for the Milsco seat so it'll raise and swivel like the factory JD seat requires re-positioning of the Milsco seat mounting studs that are on the Milsco seat fwd/aft adjustment rails. That's what I did in the post above.

Seat height from the floorboard with the suspension set for 160 lb rider: Barely 21" to the top of the forward edge of seat cushion. With 160 lb'r on the seat, the seat lowered about an inch.

You seem to have given this seat swap some thought, so here are some of my considerations when doing this job:
1. I didn't want my knees hitting the steering wheel.
2. I didn't want to have to stretch too far to reach the pedals or steering wheel.
3. I didn't want to increase the loaded CG by having me and the seat up any higher than necessary.

Seat Height:
Because both fore/aft adjusters are now under the seat, I can use either or both adjusters to get the fore/aft adjustment set like it was originally. The Milsco rails are still adjustable, but slightly limited in their travel because of the new stud location. No problem - the JD adjustment range is unchanged, so I set the Milsco fore/aft adjustment in the middle and then use the JD adjustmet tracks to put the seat where I want it.

It would have been much more work to eliminate the Milsco seat adjustment rails. For me, it wasn't worth it to remove the rails and the entire JD seat swivel mechanism, then modify the JD mechanism, attach the new seat and mount the whole mess again - all to get only 3/4" lower. For me, that's not enough benefit for the work involved.

Thank you so much for all the detail and explanation in your several posts and pictures (a picture is worth a thousand words).

I read that you removed the large springs at the front of the JD design. Is that to lower the entire seat to a workable level? If so, doesn't the lack of the springs allow the seat to "hop" up and down when hitting bumps? That is how I envision it happening to me. Maybe I missed something in scanning your post about that subject. I really love what you did, ingenuity and necessity is the mother of invention.

I see a cover on the outflow of your mower deck, is this for mulching? IF so, did you modify it or is that a factory item covering the deck exhaust? I'd like to create a quick attaching mulch cover for my deck that I can use when conditions are dry or for leaf mulching in the fall.

Kudos to you sir.

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Removal of the stock springs allows the new seat to dit level and the new seat suspension to work.

The mulch kit is the JD unit. PM me for the part number - I got it at Lowe's. It fits other machines and is cheaper from Lowe's than from the JD dealer.

Reactions: Levi

·
Registered
80 Posts
Purchased a Milsco 5300 suspension seat from Northern Tool, on sale and with a extra small discount for roughly $270 just before Christma, 2019. Then on to mounting. After reading much discussion here I began a search for the seat mount kit that fits garden tractors. Most of the dealers I checked initially said they had the kit in inventory but later they said it wasn't, I lost count of the refunds to my credit card. After about five misses I was directed to THE Corp in Iowa I believe. Once again the check inventory and had several. I ordered one expecting the email denying existence of the kit but instead an email arrived two days later that it had shipped and was tracked half way to me. It arrived three day post ordering. I opened the package carefully checking each part in order expecting it not to be what I needed and bang, two vital parts were missing. Then l rummaged through some loose packing and found the two parts. I was shocked and excited.
Removing the original seat that I had not dare dream of doing things went quickly. Mounting the kit base was OK but those small bolts mounting to the frame are tough to reach so I pulled the shroud covering the front operators station and the job quickly improved. Following the directions, a feat for me, things moved along smartly. Every connection was made until mating the actual seat in the saddle. The holes were not the correct distance causing me to drill new holes in the rear, no biggie but it did slow me down. I mated the seat to the saddle and began to lift the seat when I discovered I had reversed some parts and it would not work correctly if installed. About this time the garage door opened and my wife backed her car in beside my work space. That was the signal to end the days work so close to completion.

The next morning, after some futility in placing the seat and kit saddle onto the mounting frame because other modifications (sprayer pipe) was in the way keeping me from hitting the studs correctly. After sawing the pipe off (another days project, repiping) the seat fit perfectly. The nuts were tightened and a finished project was unveiled.

I'm older and disabled so I'm not very fast, by design, in doing these projects which actually made this success so satisfying. I don't have much opportunity to do projects anymore so this success was a major ego boost and sanctifying event, I was proud for the first time in years. It was a wonderful feeling. OT, recently I repaired our toilet having to remove the tank and replace the flush valve apparatus for another victory. After each project I was laid up for several days by post exertion malaise and pain but it was worth it both times.

If I can do it, most everyone on this forum can do it. My key was obtaining the seat saddle kit to mount the MIlsco seat. Without it I'd of had to modify the existing base with steel plate and angle iron which would have been a difficult project for me. Thank God for the saddle kit.

Sorry to go on but this was a big deal for an older guy like me. I'm hoping for an easier summer on my 1025R this summer as we mow the 7 acres of turf/grassland on our property. Best wishes to all who take on this modification, may your backs feel less abused after mowing.

If anyone knows which seat cover JD sells or aftermarket that fits the Milsco 5300 please post, that is my next adventure.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi all -
I have a 2016 1025R with the 260 BH and BH seat, and the 60d MMM. and a significant portion of my time is spent mowing my hilly 4 acre pasture at a snails pace because of the bumps (takes me about 4 hours; I am in low and cannot even go full speed in low due to the bumps). I am very seriously considering this seat modification..;

When I mow it is usually with the loader attached (use it for weight going up hills to keep the front wheels down and to flatten mole hills as I come up to them) but not the BH or anything on the rear. I have filled rear tires and with the MMM this machine is super stable on my hills.

For those that did this - is it still working out for you? - no regrets or looking for something better? Since the current seat is also suspension seat, I just don't know how the V5300 could be so much better. I would think an air seat would work even better because of the side to side jarring that also happens; I rarely bottom out the existing seat (I weigh around 175) but mostly not - it's more the side to side that gets me (where one wheel drops lower due to a bump than the other).

In any event, I can barely take the mowing and really do not look forward to it. Hoping to hear you are all still very happy :)

Thanks!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts