Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My JD1025R won't start. Fuel solenoid is working but no action on starter. The battery has been checked. However the dash indicator says PTO is engaged. In that position it will not start. Although the yellow switch is down no go. Checked all relays, fuses, etc. Wondering if the engine controller is faulty or switch faulty. Still scratching my head on what to do next. Anyone have this problem. Tractor is 3 years old. :cheers:

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Hiya,

I would disconnect the PTO switch and see if that gets it to start. You could also try moving the selector to a different position and try it there. Another thing to try is to disconnect the negative battery terminal and let it sit for 20 minutes, that may help it reset too. (That last one was a bit of a WAG, I don't know if the ECM has a battery in it to retain data)

Tom

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tried removing switch. Also tried bypassing switch but no luck. However yesterday was a 40 deg C degrees hot day and I noticed the fog in the dash display had evaporated into drops of water. Obviously there is water getting into the display. I had the battery disconnected for several days. I connected everything uo today without doing anything else and lo and behold it started with no problems. I am wondering if the moisture is causing my problems. Don't feel like paying Deere A$770 for a new one. Not sure if you can dismantle display dry and reseal. Thanks.:good2:

·
Administrator
18,260 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,859 Posts
What is the print our on the dash.. turn 3pto off or neutral .

If neutral above mmm pto is a switch unplug and put a jumper between leads on the wiring harness. If it starts bad switch , easy part to change just a little messy.

Can't remember the leads to just on pto switch believe two closest wires to the side of the tractor,, thinking red - and orange wires .

You said you checked battery HOW ,, you with v meter or did you take it to a dealer or auto parts store. Could be a bad battery:dunno:

·
Premium Member
2,136 Posts
My JD1025R won't start. Fuel solenoid is working but no action on starter. The battery has been checked. However the dash indicator says PTO is engaged. In that position it will not start. Although the yellow switch is down no go. Checked all relays, fuses, etc. Wondering if the engine controller is faulty or switch faulty. Still scratching my head on what to do next. Anyone have this problem. Tractor is 3 years old. :cheers:
When you say "fuel solenoid is working but no action on starter", do you mean the engine is not even turning over?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Mine is almost three years old. If I back it out of the barn when raining to give me room to work inside. The tractor will not start after wards, and a code comes up the PTO is engaged. All I can do is wait for it to stop raining and dry out. Then it starts with no problem. Last couple times I put a tarp over it and all was good!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
1025R won't start

Ray you can hear the fuel solenoid working but motor will not turn over. Valley Boy problems with his sounds exactly like mine. Does the inside of the dash display cloud over with moisture? Mine currently is bad and you cannot read the instruments. Started well this morning. Can the dash panel be dismantled to allow it to dry out and maybe reseal? Cheers:banghead:

·
Registered
126 Posts
Ray you can hear the fuel solenoid working but motor will not turn over. Valley Boy problems with his sounds exactly like mine. Does the inside of the dash display cloud over with moisture? Mine currently is bad and you cannot read the instruments. Started well this morning. Can the dash panel be dismantled to allow it to dry out and maybe reseal? Cheers:banghead:
I get a tiny bit of moisture on the inside of the glass when I am blowing snow. Goes away and all is good. Not sure if you can take it apart. I think I saw something on here about a fogged up display. Even when I wash it I don't have a problem and I guess that's because it's in the sun to dry before I try to start it.

·
Premium Member
2,136 Posts
Got it!! Unfortunately moisture is the enemy of electronics. As far as I know, the dash panel is a integral component which is the EEC for the tractor.
I do remember someone on GTT took theirs apart and installed a digital clock in the dash. Maybe someone can find the thread. I can't locate it.

Reactions: chex313 and PJR832

·
Premium Member
14,859 Posts
Inlee you stated it started the other morning, that sounds similar to the way mine was acting. Would have to pull the pto switch on and off , while moving the lever from N to L and back and forth till it would start.

It could be the neutral switch just above the mid pto front side of transmission.:dunno::dunno: As I posted before , if tractor won't start again with tractor in N and PTO off. Crawl under the tractor with a small piece of jumper wire unplug that connection and insert the jumper wire to that connector (wiring harness). Then try to start the tractor, if it starts :bigthumb: , bad neutral switch apx $40 and about 15-30 mins to replace. Since I changed mine have had no problems with starting. Before changing it had acted up at least 10 times .

As for dash fogging over and not being able to read display ,not sure.. Call your dealer and ask the shop foreman what they would do if anything besides changing out the dash. :dunno::dunno:

Reactions: PJR832

·
Premium Member
14,859 Posts
Just a thought, maybe you could use a hairdryer to try and dry out the dash without removing. :dunno:

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
I have a 30+ year electronics background. Based on the symptoms you have reported, the ECC (instrument cluster) is displaying the PTO is engaged and is inhibiting the starter. The only inputs to the ECC that would result in that displayed indication come from the PTO switch and would be a high (battery voltage) on those inputs (J3-E and J1-H). None of the switches underneath the tractor would produce the symptoms you described.

As you have already unplugged the PTO switch, that eliminates it as a potential cause. You may want to take voltage measurements at the instrument cluster connectors J3-E and J1-H. They should be reading zero or very near to zero, with the instrument cluster connected. If you're reading anything above that, this is your problem and the next step would be to unplug those connectors from the instrument cluster and re-measure. If they are now at zero volts, the problem is within the instrument cluster. If they read any voltage, you have a wiring harness issue.

I'd speculate you are on the right track with the condensate you have observed in the instrument cluster. It has likely created some corrosion which is acting as a high impedance path, fooling the cluster's processor. I would think you can disassemble it. In addition to drying it out, I would first look for corrosion. If you find any, clean it off with a tooth brush and electronic component cleaner (aka: tuner wash), which is available at electronic supply stores or an electronics repair shop. It comes in an aerosol can. Below, is a photo of what I'm presently utilizing. Even if you don't find corrosion, thoroughly and liberally wash the circuit board(s) down with the tuner wash, which will displace the moisture. Allow it to dry overnight after that.

DSCN0235.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
JD1025R won't start

Further to my previous posts I am again in trouble. Tractor started and I worked it for several hours without problems. As storms were brewing I covered tractor with a Tarp. Today tractor won't start again. Talked to the local dealer service man and he had no idea or suggestions. He will have to look into it. Dash display had lots of condensation as I guess there must be considerable amount of water in the panel. Have to leave in the sun to heat up to start until I can sort out the problem. Tractor is 3 years old so probably out of warranty. Attach photo of dash.:banghead:/Users/lindsaysimac/Desktop/JD1025R.jpg

·
Premium Member
14,859 Posts
I asked the shop foreman at my dealer about the moisture in the dash here is his reply.

Hi Gene,
You can try warming dash with hair drier to get water to vaporize. Is unit still under warranty?? If small water droplets Deere considers normal, large droplets and or not clearing up after 60 mins of use they recommend to replace. The back of dash does have holes in it but are covered with a membrane to let air in and out and some water vapor but seem to let in faster than out. We really see it when customer goes from hot outside to cool inside a building. let me know what you find.

Again I'm still guessing your tractor won't start because it says it not in Neutral .. You can find out if this is the problem in probably less than 10 mins.

,by doing what I had suggested .. Mine acted the same as yours just a couple of months ago. Then if it isn't the Neutral switch good guess is the Pto switch. I'm not saying your dash isn't causing some of the issues but the cheapest and simplest tries are the way I would trouble shoot your problem.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Again I'm still guessing your tractor won't start because it says it not in Neutral .. You can find out if this is the problem in probably less than 10 mins.
If it wasn't in neutral, the display would have a scrolling message instructing to "Shift to neutral" He is receiving the display message that the PTO is engaged.

·
Premium Member
14,859 Posts
If it wasn't in neutral, the display would have a scrolling message instructing to "Shift to neutral" He is receiving the display message that the PTO is engaged.
I agree mine would scroll shift to neutral and turn pto off. Ok even turn pto off ,,buy a new switch apx $30.00 still cheaper than a new dash.

Either way it would get his tractor started without spending what $700 :dunno:

Troubles that only happen once in a while or everytime you try to start , I admit are a PIA to find. just trying to eliminate the cheaper things first.

As dealers shop foreman and I suggested take a hair dryer to try and dry the dash. The cleaned and checked printed circuit board is another way to check . According to shop foreman and parts department PTO and neutral switches go back quite often . Guessing they had 6 of each of them on stock.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts