Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may get me more replies than I can read but here goes
I've had 455 tractors since 1997 and they have been pretty much bullet proof how do the newer 1025/26 stack up to them.
2nd has anyone done away with that small in line filter under the running boards never had trouble with other tractors with out it ?
3rd can I turn my pictures on this site , when I import them they seem to rotate, so I ROTATED them and the turn the wrong way again.
to cold outside so I have to learn how to be better on GTT.
thank you

·
Administrator
20,694 Posts
455s are great machines, but not a very good comparison to a 1 series tractor. They are completely different machines. The 455 is a garden tractor, the 1 series is a true tractor, albeit very small. They both have some really good features and uses, so it's difficult to compare without know what you want to use it for. :unknown:

I wouldn't get rid of the fuel filter. It's there for a purpose, to protect your expensive fuel system.

Pictures are a different problem altogether. Most times it can be solved with you taking pictures with your phone held with the home button to your right. There are many threads about this in the forum help section. :good2: Many many people including the staff struggle with this issue at times. There's no permanent fix either....

·
Registered
307 Posts
There is absolutely no comparison of a 455 with a loader compared to a 1026R with a loader. The 455 was 2 wheel drive another thing that isn't comparable. The 1026R is about 500 lbs heavier "more grunt". That said the 455 with all wheel steering is a much better finish mowing machine albeit it much slower. I really don't think we are talking apples to apples here. On a nice flat surface the 1026 will mow much faster. On a landscaped yard the 455 is a much better mower.

·
Premium Member
2,132 Posts
I never owned a 455 (i do know a guy who owns two of them), although, I have owned a 318, 430, x748 and now the 1025R. All of these tractors were and are excellent tractors for what they were and are intended for.
In my opinion, if you want a sub compact tractor that has the capabilities of an FEL, BH, "real" 3 point hitch and is still not that much bigger than a 455, then the 1025R is for you. If you have no need for an FEL or BH, then the new 700 series tractors are really nice, although, once you load up a new 700 series, you are almost at the price of a 1025R.

Concerning how the 455 stacks up against a 1025R, the 1025R will do everything and much more than the 455.

Concerning the inline fuel filter on the 1 series, they do still have them and yes they are somewhat a pain, although, they are there for a reason. Many 1 series users are finding, in this exceptional cold weather, that this inline filter is also were fuel will gell most quickly.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Having a 455 AWS and being fortunate enough to run a 1 series I can tell you that the 1 series is superior to the 455 in every way except mowing. If I had to choose, it would be the 455 except maybe mowing road ditches where a RMM would be better suited. For a manicured lawn, the 455 wins every time. This isn't to say the 455 isn't capable of doing most other functions. It just means, with the added weight and small HP jump the 1 series will do it better. As others have said, apples oranges sort of comparison.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Having a 455 AWS and being fortunate enough to run a 1 series I can tell you that the 1 series is superior to the 455 in every way except mowing. If I had to choose, it would be the 455 except maybe mowing road ditches where a RMM would be better suited. For a manicured lawn, the 455 wins every time. This isn't to say the 455 isn't capable of doing most other functions. It just means, with the added weight and small HP jump the 1 series will do it better. As others have said, apples oranges sort of comparison.
In what way is mowing superior ? Maneuverability ? Less weight on the turf ??

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
In what way is mowing superior ? Maneuverability ? Less weight on the turf ??
Way more maneuverability especially with AWS. Couple this with the better deck performance and a lighter footprint.

·
Registered
968 Posts
I never owned a 455 (i do know a guy who owns two of them), although, I have owned a 318, 430, x748 and now the 1025R. All of these tractors were and are excellent tractors for what they were and are intended for.
In my opinion, if you want a sub compact tractor that has the capabilities of an FEL, BH, "real" 3 point hitch and is still not that much bigger than a 455, then the 1025R is for you. If you have no need for an FEL or BH, then the new 700 series tractors are really nice, although, once you load up a new 700 series, you are almost at the price of a 1025R. ...............

The x758 is at the price of a 1023E. That’s the reason I went for a one series .........same price of X748 with less features at the time. Got heavier tractor, 3 point w/PTO, and high low range not on x model.

·
Premium Member
2,132 Posts
The x758 is at the price of a 1023E. That’s the reason I went for a one series .........same price of X748 with less features at the time. Got heavier tractor, 3 point w/PTO, and high low range not on x model.
Yep, that is the biggest issue with the new 700 series. The price is practically, if not the same as a 1 series and you cannot get an FEL with the new 700's.

·
Premium Member
2,132 Posts
Way more maneuverability especially with AWS. Couple this with the better deck performance and a lighter footprint.
I do agree with you that the AWS would obviously be more maneuverable although most 455's are not AWS. The advertised turning radius for a standard 455 is 2.16', AWS is 1.75'. The 1 series is 2.25'

I guess my question is, how is the standard 455 more maneuverable than a 1 series? The turning radius is negligible at best and the mmm used on the 1 series and new 700's is a suburb piece.

IMO, I would say, anyone that owns a 455 will absolutely love a 1 series.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I do agree with you that the AWS would obviously be more maneuverable although most 455's are not AWS. The advertised turning radius for a standard 455 is 2.16', AWS is 1.75'. The 1 series is 2.25'

I guess my question is, how is the standard 455 more maneuverable than a 1 series? The turning radius is negligible at best and the mmm used on the 1 series and new 700's is a suburb piece.

IMO, I would say, anyone that owns a 455 will absolutely love a 1 series.
I've never had a 455 2WS so I can't comment but the 1 series ha 8 more inches of wheelbase so that would give it a disadvantage in the turning department right off the bat. Don't get me wrong. I have nothing against the 1 series in any way. Even if.....I put a rear pto, 3 point, FEL, BH or any other attachment, I'd consider the 1 series superior.....except mowing my yard. :thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
471 Posts
I've never had a 455 2WS so I can't comment but the 1 series ha 8 more inches of wheelbase so that would give it a disadvantage in the turning department right off the bat. Don't get me wrong. I have nothing against the 1 series in any way. Even if.....I put a rear pto, 3 point, FEL, BH or any other attachment, I'd consider the 1 series superior.....except mowing my yard. :thumbup1gif:
Different garden tractors, but I had a 318 then a 430. I sold those to buy the 1 series. I absolutely love my 1 series but it definitely doesn't cut my hilly/uneven yard as well as the garden tractors I owned. So last spring I bought another 318, which I'm currently rebuilding to have as my dedicated mower. If I get rid of the 1 series its only to upgrade to a larger tractor and skip the mid mount mower.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Different garden tractors, but I had a 318 then a 430. I sold those to buy the 1 series. I absolutely love my 1 series but it definitely doesn't cut my hilly/uneven yard as well as the garden tractors I owned. So last spring I bought another 318, which I'm currently rebuilding to have as my dedicated mower. If I get rid of the 1 series its only to upgrade to a larger tractor and skip the mid mount mower.
:thumbup1gif:

·
Premium Member
13,371 Posts
Agreed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
968 Posts

But series one can cut 60” wide. Hilly and uneven will look hilly and uneven unless flattened out. That is a lot of area of lawn to have flat all over the entire lawn for a given 60” width. A noticeable difference is because the ground is not even not a fault of the tractor and bigger mower deck. The smaller deck on lawn tractor covers less width (lesser highs and lows per width) and takes longer to mow. A smaller area of cut too. I love the cut on 60” mower w/series one tractor. In fact the other lawns in my area cut with lawn and garden tractors with narrower decks don’t look as well as mine. More tire/mower tracks closer together.

The trick is the mower set up.:mocking::mocking:

One near by neighbor has a bigger JD with a 72” mower and his grass cut looks fine and it is more field grass.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
I had two 455 AWS with 60" decks and I know have two 1025Rs with 54" decks. While the 455AWS had a tight turning radius, I was never able to fully take advantage of it due to the rear guide wheel design of the 60" deck. The rear guide wheels are a tall and narrow wheel. So when cornering tightly on something that wasn't flat, such as around a tree, the edge of the rear guide wheel would dig into the lawn, ripping it up. When I still had the 455s, I became frustrated to the point I was going to purchase a new 54" deck, but they had just discontinued them. The 54" deck has a lower profile, radiused edge, guide wheel that is not prone to "digging in".

So next I started looking for a lightly used x749. However, by the time I equipped it with a 3-point, rear pto, a FEL (if I could find one) and a cab (if I could find one) I was $2000 away from a comparably equipped new 1025R.

The 1025R has its mower deck issues, scalping, mostly attributable to no center anti-scalp wheel. I thoroughly researched this site, before buying, and found the link to the center anti-scalp wheel addition You Tube video by Tractor Time with Tim. That is why I went with the 54" deck instead of the 60".

·
Registered
968 Posts
Well, JD must be making so many X700 thru X758 because the public is buying them. The X7xx series and the 1 series both have a sizable market in their areas otherwise one would be phased out. As I pointed out in the past JD has no shortage of different models. Something to satisfy most buyers.

Generally wish list wants with one’s current model are satisfied with the next size upscale tractor (more $$$). Human nature to always want more or expect more performance than what a given unit does.

:bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
1,706 Posts
It all depends on ones needs. If you need a loader & 3 point hitch, go with the one series.

If you need a great mower & maybe a light duty 3 point hitch, go with the X700 series.

When I owned a 1 series, After each mowing, I spent over an hour doing trim work. Most of this was because of the high stance & roll bar on the one series. I was not able to get close to a lot of things.
After getting a X739, I cut the trim work down to about 10 minutes after each mowing. The mowing time was also greatly reduced from the one series.

If I could only have one tractor for loader work & mowing, the one series would be my choice.

·
Registered
968 Posts
It all depends on ones needs. If you need a loader & 3 point hitch, go with the one series.

If you need a great mower & maybe a light duty 3 point hitch, go with the X700 series.

When I owned a 1 series, After each mowing, I spent over an hour doing trim work. Most of this was because of the high stance & roll bar on the one series. I was not able to get close to a lot of things.
After getting a X739, I cut the trim work down to about 10 minutes after each mowing. The mowing time was also greatly reduced from the one series.

If I could only have one tractor for loader work & mowing, the one series would be my choice.

My solution for getting under trees was cut down the roll bar. Too high, I don’t have back hoe or bucket.

I need the bigger tractor for snow blowing. The 60” mower is a big plus get done sooner.

·
Premium Member
8,838 Posts
I own a 455 which I bought new in 1996. I also own a 1025R which I bought new in October of 2017. I can tell you that my 455 doesn't like the 1025R and I have to keep them in separate buildings....:laugh:

The 455 has been an incredible machine. I have done things with that tractor which many others insisted could never be done, including plowing with my custom built plow which is 7'3" wide. It's the same plow I now use on my 1025R, which some also insisted that the 1025R wouldn't handle that plow either. But it has done very well with the plow.

Personally, I found the mowing quality of the 455 with the 60 inch deck to be a very good quality cut. Not only does it cut the manicured lawn well when using sharp Gator blades for extra lift, it does a good job cutting stuff which I now cut with the 3 point rear frontier mower behind my 1025r. I have cut weeds and field grass which was 3 feet high with the 455. It wasn't as fast as the 1 series with the rear mower, but it certainly got the job done.

To be honest, I had a very hard time pulling the trigger and purchasing a new 1025r because of the extensive problems I have read that owners have experienced with the 1 series that never have occurred with my 455 in 22 years of ownership and about 2,700 hours of operation. The following is from the detailed service records I keep on my equipment regarding the repairs done to the 455 during it's lifetime.

Replaced -
1. Alternator at 1,600 hours with John Deere part at $300+ dollars
2. Alternator replaced again with Amazon part at $90 at 2,100 hours and continues to be fine. The parts were identical, same casting numbers, identical in every way
3. Replaced in tank fuel pump at 2,300 hours
4. Replaced 6 batteries over the years *that's about a battery every 4 years*
5. Rebuilt the rear hydro and replaced all seals and gaskets at 2,500 hours
6. Only real "Hard part" needing replacement in hydro was the PTO clutch
7. I did all of the hydro rebuilding myself. Dealership wanted about $1,800 to $2,300 depending upon parts. It cost me about $600 in total parts. I cleaned and repainted everything as I reassemble it.
8. Replaced tail light which broke and fell out and I ran over it. Put in a new pair so they would look good.
9. Replaced fuel solenoid at 1,800 hours
10. Main steel line which runs from the hydro to the steering control valve broke when it was -15. I had a local shop repair that as it was too cold to work on and I was very pleasantly surprised the dealership had the parts in stock. Down time was one day
11. Right now, the steering hydraulic cylinder needs replacing and the part is not available from Deere due to changing of sourcing manufacturer. This has rendered the tractor inoperative since June of 2017 and as a result, I purchased a new ExMark Zero Turn mower.

So in reality, for a machine which was used about 150 hours every year or more for the last 15 years, the machine has been very dependable and very reliable. The only "major" repairs were the replacement of the main hydraulic line which broke due to a vibration and the new line includes support brackets for the line to eliminate the vibration. The rebuilding of the hydro was to deal with leaking seals and the only "hard part' which was worn and required replacement was the PTO clutch. But I figured the time had come to replace all of the seals and gaskets and check for worn parts inside the case. To my delight, the only worn parts were the PTO clutch plates and they were extensively worn.

How do I compare the two machines? They are so different that you can't really compare them. I did not buy a MMM for the 1025R as I have a new Zero Turn. I have the cab on my 1 series and I didn't want to mow with the cab on it. Plus the 1025r is much heavier than the 455, and I don't want to mow my lawn with that heavy of a machine, but the new Zero Turn is by no means a light weight, either.

The 1025R has many capabilities which the 455 simply doesn't. I own every attachment for the 455 except the cab and the rotary broom. I have kept my 455 and plan to restore it back to a like new condition. Does it make economic sense to restore it? Probably not but the 455 more than paid for itself and it also bought the entire new 1025r purchase with cab and implements.

Plowing snow with the 455 over the years generated about $68,000 in gross revenue (my wife keeps track of such things for me). However, the 1025R is off to a stellar start with over $8,000 in the first month alone and as of today, another $5,600 for January and today's the 8th.........Today, the 1 series moved snow piles and stacked snow in the afternoon after plowing 16 driveways this morning. So, the 1 series is off to a strong financial start of it's own. My one series now has 107 hours on it, 82 of those hours coming since December 12th of 2017 through today.

The only conditions my wife made when I purchased the new 1025r was;
1. that she insisted I get the Mauser cab
2. and also anything else that I wanted with the new tractor
3. and the other condition was that I NOT SELL MY 455.........She said it's worth more to me than I could get selling it so she insisted I keep it.......and I have.

I don't know that I will use the 455 much, especially with the new ExMark Zero Turn to mow with........but I am going to keep it and restore it and also restore each of the attachments one at a time. It will keep me busy for the next year.

If the 1025r is even close to being as reliable as the 455 has been, then I will be absolutely thrilled. But when I read about $700 dash failures and components failing on the new machines which are still original on my 455, it does make me nervous. For example, I had the lift hose on the new quick attach rupture last week when I finished plowing. The dealership responded and replaced both hoses and got me back up and running in about 3 hours, which was great. But it also concerns me that I still have the original lines on my 455 quick attach hitch and it's 22 years old and plowed over 1,400 hours of snow removal. So hopefully the line failure incident was a fluke.

If the 1025r is as reliable as my 455 has been, then I will be simply ecstatic. But we all know things aren't made the way they used to be so I think the 1025r has a real challenge ahead of itself to match the long term reliability which the 455 has demonstrated.

As far as comparing the two machines, they are more different than alike. The similarities stop with the color green and the Deere logo on the side.........

I love my 1025r and the cab makes working in the winter an entirely different experience, one which I find much more tolerable and pleasant.

One last point, my 455 has never had the valve cover off or a wrench turned on the engine other than to replace the alternator and the fuel shut off solenoid and of course, oil changes. But on the 455 you have a real handy oil change tube and shut off valve so it makes changing the oil very easy and a clean experience.

If the 1025r can last 2,700 hours and require no repairs on the engine, then I will be a very happy Deere owner, just as I have been with the 455.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts