Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I thought I would give some 'in the field' feedback, and advice. I bought my 1026r used this spring, and the 5' tiller came with it. I hooked the tiller up yesterday, and set out to create a new garden in our field. Our soil is heavy, and the target area was mowed field, 4". Fired the tiller up, and lowered it lightly into the ground. In low range I tried to go forward. The tractor rpms dropped fast and the tractor just about stalled. I then lifted the times, to 2" down, and started again. It was a slow process, with the tractor under some serious stress. I figured it would get better, as I made subsequent passes on the same tilled ground, but same loading on the tractor. The last passes were on dirt that had been tilled 2x previous, still too much for the 1026r, IMHO.

So, for those out there wondering if your 1025/1026r will run a 5' tiller, it technically will, but there is just not enough pto HP to run it properly IMO. I would rather a 4' tiller that puts less stress on the tractor. I'm going to sell the tiller and get a smaller one.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
:good2: Now that is a great post. Very good info, Thank you Binford.

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,286 Posts
Don't know what kind of ground you have or what it is you're doing that's so wrong but I have a 5' tiller and it works just fine. As you can see in the pic I go quite deep with no problems. Even in virgin uncut ground. Yah it takes a few passes to get it where you want it but that's the nature of the beast in anything you do.
100_0585.jpg As you can see the 2210 did a great job with it too.
IMG_0128.jpg Same tiller with the 1026R.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Don't know what kind of ground you have or what it is you're doing that's so wrong but I have a 5' tiller and it works just fine. As you can see in the pic I go quite deep with no problems. Even in virgin uncut ground. Yah it takes a few passes to get it where you want it but that's the nature of the beast in anything you do.
View attachment 185746 As you can see the 2210 did a great job with it too.
View attachment 185754 Same tiller with the 1026R.
I'm glad that the 5' tiller works for you. I was just relaying my experience. My soil is heavy, so perhaps that is a factor. I run a bunch of other 3 point pto implements without any problems, so it's not for lack of grunt from the tractor.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Well, I thought I would give some 'in the field' feedback, and advice. I bought my 1026r used this spring, and the 5' tiller came with it. I hooked the tiller up yesterday, and set out to create a new garden in our field. Our soil is heavy, and the target area was mowed field, 4". Fired the tiller up, and lowered it lightly into the ground. In low range I tried to go forward. The tractor rpms dropped fast and the tractor just about stalled. I then lifted the times, to 2" down, and started again. It was a slow process, with the tractor under some serious stress. I figured it would get better, as I made subsequent passes on the same tilled ground, but same loading on the tractor. The last passes were on dirt that had been tilled 2x previous, still too much for the 1026r, IMHO.

So, for those out there wondering if your 1025/1026r will run a 5' tiller, it technically will, but there is just not enough pto HP to run it properly IMO. I would rather a 4' tiller that puts less stress on the tractor. I'm going to sell the tiller and get a smaller one.
I had exactly the same experience 3 years ago when I started with a 5ft tiller. Heavy clay and just too much for the 1026r. Took it back to TSC and the exchanged it for the 4ft model. Charged me a little but now it works wonderfully.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,286 Posts
I'm glad that the 5' tiller works for you. I was just relaying my experience. My soil is heavy, so perhaps that is a factor. I run a bunch of other 3 point pto implements without any problems, so it's not for lack of grunt from the tractor.
Yah it works for me but as you can see in the pics I posted it's not iMatch compatible and for that reason I'd like the 4' tiller because this 5' tiller is hard to man handle, very heavy and I'm not getting any younger. Maybe I should contact Bubber, he's just one State removed. :laugh:

·
Registered
483 Posts
I have a 1025r and use a 48" tiller. I am very happy with that size though in my clay soil I can bog it down if I get too deep on the first pass. Oh and with minor mods mine has now proven to be compatible with my HF quick hitch.
It is important to remember that not all tillers are created equal. The tine count makes a difference. 5 or 6 tines per disk requires more power than 4.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Just used my 627 tillel for the first time today. Got a big hunk of wood stuck in it. Before I knew it it was smoking. I shut it down for a half hour and it seems ok. Did I do any serious damage?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Reactions: BigJim55

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Just used my 627 tillel for the first time today. Got a big hunk of wood stuck in it. Before I knew it it was smoking. I shut it down for a half hour and it seems ok. Did I do any serious damage?
What was smoking, the wood, or the tiller?

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
You can try this. Let the ground dry out for a few day after tilling or plowing. Then try tilling again. The dry dirt should be easer to till than wet dirt.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I use a king kutter xbx 54 inch and love it. It works great. The people I till gardens for can't believe how it chops up the ground. I personally think this is as big as I will ever go on my 1025r. It can still till wet ground and keep the rpms up most of the time.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
18,542 Posts

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
If it has a slip clutch then it's most likely OK,, but to answer your question it would help to know where the smoke was coming from.

Reactions: Levi

·
Registered
502 Posts
Smoke

What was smoking, the wood, or the tiller?
Looked like it was coming from where the drive was attached to the top of the tiller. I thought there was a clutch so it would prevent something like this happening? Ran OK after I dislodged the obstruction and let it cool down though.

·
Premium Member
10,068 Posts
Looked like it was coming from where the drive was attached to the top of the tiller. I thought there was a clutch so it would prevent something like this happening? Ran OK after I dislodged the obstruction and let it cool down though.
Sounds like the clutch did exactly what it's supposed to and slipped, preventing damage to the tiller or tractor.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts