Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well it finally happened to me. The original battery failed. I have heard of deer’s batteries not lasting very long. It went from work fine, to not working at all. I went to start it to clean my driveway and the tractor was totally dead. I got a new one from batteries plus only because the jd dealership closes before I’m done with work. I guessing the new one won’t last 9 years.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Seems that is the typical "fail mode" with modern batteries. They work one day and then the next nothing. What size battery is it? My 4200 uses a 22NF which is not common. New Deere batteries can be hit and miss. But overall had good luck with Deere. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
8,475 Posts
The JD battery in my 2305 lasted three years. The second JD battery lasted 12 months and 1 week.

I did notice the last time I was at my dealer they have all of their batteries on maintainers now.....

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
On both tractors I switched to interstate batteries, did have to modify bracket for the 2305.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Well it finally happened to me. The original battery failed. I have heard of deer’s batteries not lasting very long. It went from work fine, to not working at all. I went to start it to clean my driveway and the tractor was totally dead. I got a new one from batteries plus only because the jd dealership closes before I’m done with work. I guessing the new one won’t last 9 years.
Are you saying the original battery did last 9 years? If so, I'd say you got your money's worth. Most lead-acid batteries survive 4-5 years at most, less if they receive little use (such as extended time between charging from running the engine). I don't know that I've ever got more than 6 years from a car battery, and those were premium dual setups in my diesel pickup. I never got more than 4 years from the batteries in any of my garden tractors, and not because I'd buy the cheapest one I could find.

As for buying a 'factory' JD battery, unless it's an odd physical size that you can't find an alternative for to fit in a limited space, I'd just get a similar capacity battery from the local auto parts or battery outlet. Get a trickle charger or maintainer for those periods where it sits in the shed for a while between uses. I generally start mine up once a week and let it run a bit, even make a few laps around the pasture with it.

·
Premium Member
8,475 Posts
On both tractors I switched to interstate batteries, did have to modify bracket for the 2305.
The 2305 ended up with a modified mounting bracket and a different brand battery as well.

·
Premium Member
8,475 Posts
As for buying a 'factory' JD battery, unless it's an odd physical size that you can't find an alternative for to fit in a limited space, I'd just get a similar capacity battery from the local auto parts or battery outlet.
The 22NF battery JD uses is an odd size for the CCA. If I remember correctly the JD battery is 500CCA and most of the 22NF's on the shelf are only 400CCA.....

·
Registered
22,092 Posts
The 22NF battery JD uses is an odd size for the CCA. If I remember correctly the JD battery is 500CCA and most of the 22NF's on the shelf are only 400CCA.....
Because of there being no dealers around here I ended up having to get a NAPA battery for which I had to wait 24 hours anyway. It’s only 350CCA and I can really tell the difference starting when cold. I don’t trust it at all without the Battery Tender on it in the winter.

·
Premium Member
11,442 Posts
Try to get the wet-charged version of the OEM battery rather than the more expensive dry-charged version.

Part Number:
TY26498
Part Price: 153.46 USD
Core Value: (18.00 USD)
End Price With Core Return: 135.46 USD
Description: Dry Charged Battery - BATTERY,DRY,12V,BCI 22NF,CCA 500

Part Number:
TY26498A
Part Price: 120.23 USD
Core Value: (18.00 USD)
End Price With Core Return: 102.23 USD
Description: Wet Charged Battery - BATTERY,WET,12V,BCI 22NF,CCA 500

·
Registered
57 Posts
I cant´t complain on the Deere battery´s either, the factory installed battery on my X155R lasted for 7 years! I hope the next battery on the new X166R?(just dreams...i will keep the X155R at least for the next 3 years/500 hour mark) will last as long as this one. :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
The odd size is a pain. My 1026R was running in the morning but completely failed after lunch. Spent some time checking all the electrical components, alternator, battery, fues, wiring. Everything but the battery was good. My local JD came out 2 days later asnd replaced it. In all my years I've never had a battery fail like that.

·
Registered
22,092 Posts
The odd size is a pain. My 1026R was running in the morning but completely failed after lunch. Spent some time checking all the electrical components, alternator, battery, fues, wiring. Everything but the battery was good. My local JD came out 2 days later asnd replaced it. In all my years I've never had a battery fail like that.
When mine went I was out on my mowing rounds. Did one property in the morning - loaded on the trailer and to the next property 5 minutes away. Nothing. Back to the house - would not jump or take a charge - high speed or trickle.

I am leery now with batteries after that. On my truck a few years ago when it was 5 or 6 years old I noticed some weird things happening with my center screen/navigation thing. I went straight to the dealer and had it replaced. I know it would have let me sit at one of my stops that day.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Are you saying the original battery did last 9 years? If so, I'd say you got your money's worth. Most lead-acid batteries survive 4-5 years at most, less if they receive little use (such as extended time between charging from running the engine). I don't know that I've ever got more than 6 years from a car battery, and those were premium dual setups in my diesel pickup. I never got more than 4 years from the batteries in any of my garden tractors, and not because I'd buy the cheapest one I could find.

As for buying a 'factory' JD battery, unless it's an odd physical size that you can't find an alternative for to fit in a limited space, I'd just get a similar capacity battery from the local auto parts or battery outlet. Get a trickle charger or maintainer for those periods where it sits in the shed for a while between uses. I generally start mine up once a week and let it run a bit, even make a few laps around the pasture with it.
Yes it was the original battery. I never used any type of battery maintainer on it. It sometimes sat weeks at a time without being ran.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Had a Panosonic on a Toyota 4Runner that lasted--ready for this--14, yes 14 years. It was OEM for Toyotas out of Japan.
Reports and posted experiences for these batteries are similar. But they are near impossible to find and expensive when you do.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts