Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had my 1026R out tonight moving snow when it started to feel sluggish. Before I knew it the engine barely wanted to run then shut down. Started back up and ran fine until going full speed then would bog out. Is it Possible when tank is at 1/4 that the little bit of diesel lis sloshing around and causing it to bog out? Need to look further into this tomorrow and add more diesel to it but was just curious if anyone has had this issue.

·
Premium Member
14,746 Posts
Not giving your location , or outside temps., just wondering could your diesel be gelling up instead of running out of fuel..?

·
Premium Member
1,074 Posts
You don't say where you are in NY! Here in Buffalo, I had the gasline freeze-up because of so many nights of below zero temps. Mine is gas, an older 318. But when you top off, I'd put conditioner in it! I got back and running, and with dry-Gas treated fuel I've been good ta go! Just make sure that your treatment is compatable with you fuel, Gas or Diesel! Good Luck! Been a tough Winter.............. ~Scotty

Edit: Keep that tank 'Topped off' to eliminate condensation)! :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I live 30 mins north of Syracuse. Temps were in the low 20's last night. Ran this in much colder temps all winter. I'm going to fill the tank with diesel today and see what happens. Have about a month left on my dealer warranty so I just want to make sure this isn't a serious issue.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I'm having a similar issue with my 1026r during snow blowing. It's usually after I've been at it for over an hour but not always. I keep the engine running 3k-3200 RPMs and all of a sudden the RPM's drop almost to nothing. My solutions is to stop working and put it away in my 40 degree garage over night. I've also started using Opti-Lube winter mix and the red ring in the fuel filter is and always has been at the bottom indicating no water is present. I've thought that perhaps the air filter is sucking in too much snow but it has done it on calm days too. I'm eagerly watching this thread.

·
Premium Member
2,899 Posts
I've run mine to near empty and have never experienced that and I am on mild slopes and move about lots. I don't think it is related to low fuel in my opinion.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yah I filled the tank to the top with Diesel tonight. Started up and ran very strong, then just like that the engine was coughing and sputtering. Just before it would die, it would pick itself back up again, run strong then peter back out as soon as I stepped on the pedal. Possibly condensation? I will also look into the fuel line problem. Still in warranty so John Deere might be getting a call this week.

·
Premium Member
14,746 Posts
I'm still thinking fuel problem , either clogged filter under floor or main filter .Next thing you still have not mentioned if you use any additives to fuel for gelling. Diesel 911 Power Service and then use Power Service in the white bottle every 5 gallons through out the winter mos ,,Knock on wood, I have never had a gel problem in past 12-13 yrs , always used the white bottle of Power Service. just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm still thinking fuel problem , either clogged filter under floor or main filter .Next thing you still have not mentioned if you use any additives to fuel for gelling. Diesel 911 Power Service and then use Power Service in the white bottle every 5 gallons through out the winter mos ,,Knock on wood, I have never had a gel problem in past 12-13 yrs , always used the white bottle of Power Service. just my 2 cents.
I do not use any additives. Tractor had the full 50 hour service around september. I guess that doesn't mean I wouldn't have a clog. I will look into that, thanks.

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
I do not use any additives. Tractor had the full 50 hour service around september. I guess that doesn't mean I wouldn't have a clog. I will look into that, thanks.
In addition to gelling, I once had an issue with sludge getting into my fuel tank, albeit gasoline, when I filled up at a station that was being filled with a tanker..... Stirred up all the gunk in the station storage tank.... Yes, I know they should have filters on the pumps, but I took almost half a gallon of crap out of the tank, draining all the gas.... The station may eliminate the filter, or the filter may bypass if the wrong kind of filter(read cheap). Less likely than gelling, but possible. Easy enough to pull off the line and drain the tank. Especially if the filter under the op station is plugged.

·
Premium Member
3,964 Posts
In addition to gelling, I once had an issue with sludge getting into my fuel tank, albeit gasoline, when I filled up at a station that was being filled with a tanker..... Stirred up all the gunk in the station storage tank.... Yes, I know they should have filters on the pumps, but I took almost half a gallon of crap out of the tank, draining all the gas.... The station may eliminate the filter, or the filter may bypass if the wrong kind of filter(read cheap). Less likely than gelling, but possible. Easy enough to pull off the line and drain the tank. Especially if the filter under the op station is plugged.
Along the same line someone in another thread noted a small pice of wood in a fuel tank. The wood floated when the tank was full but when the fuel level was lower the suction from the pump was able to pull the piece of wood from the surface plugging the pickup. They would stop the tractor refill the tank and all was good until the level was low again.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I'm having a similar issue with my 1026r during snow blowing. It's usually after I've been at it for over an hour but not always. I keep the engine running 3k-3200 RPMs and all of a sudden the RPM's drop almost to nothing. My solutions is to stop working and put it away in my 40 degree garage over night. I've also started using Opti-Lube winter mix and the red ring in the fuel filter is and always has been at the bottom indicating no water is present. I've thought that perhaps the air filter is sucking in too much snow but it has done it on calm days too. I'm eagerly watching this thread.
FWIW, I know this is an old post but finally found the solution to my problem above. I posted this in 2014 and continued with the problem, I just learned to live with it. Gradually, it grew more and more frequent until yesterday. I feels like it's running out of gas after only a half hour of mowing. I have 288 hours. So I bought new air filter, and fuel filters. I started with the air filter, it was dirty, I'd never changed it before. But still, problem not solved. I then changed the sediment cup filter. It looked dirty, not too bad, but compared to the new one, much dirtier. Still, problem not fixed. Finally, I changed the primary fuel filter. This is the little inline filter that is under the left floor boards. What a pain in the arse to access! After much time and skinned knuckles, I got her done and problem solved! The old filter was filthy and with much sediment. It's running like new again!
I'm gonna change this little filter every year going forward. I can't believe I put up with this so long and it was such a simple fix. I think I'll switch the pinch clamps to some band clamps next time. I forgot who it was, but I remember someone else complaining about this filter's position. Would appreciate it if someone would post a link to that thread with his solution.

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
If you look in the owners manual, both the floorboatd prefilter AND the sediment bowl main filter are to be changed yearly. I have been looking for a replacement with more capacity for the under floor board prefilter. If I find one will keep you posted.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
439 Posts
Maybe this is a dumb observation but... Why can't we relocate the tiny in line PITA filter to somewhere under the engine cowling...where it'd be easier to access? As long as it's located in the line between the tank and fuel pump, it wouldn't need to live in the under floorboard location would it?

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
I think it is due to being the lowest location to help capture sediment and water.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
335 Posts
Hi OldmanX
X2 for "John Deere 1025R TLB" answer. The out let in the 1025R's fuel tank is at the lowest most point of the tank so all sediment will migrate out into the fuel line. Where as in your car or truck the fuel pump is probably in the fuel tank and is fitted with an inlet screen, if it is an older model fitted with a carby it will have a dip tube as a fuel pickup and it is not on the bottom of the tank allowing a lot of the sediment to stay in the tank a lot are also fitted with suction screens as well.
The "U" tube effect will cause the heavy sediment to accumulate at this point eventually restricting fuel flow.
Regard John

·
Registered
256 Posts
I think just replacing the pinch clips with band clamps will be a vast improvement. The person who installed this at the factory was having a laugh on me, the pinchers were facing upwards towards the floorboard. The bulk of the time spent was just trying to rotate the clamps around so I could get some needle nose pliers on them.
Also worth noting, I had an old pair of medical forceps lying around that I use from time to time for other purposes :wink:. I had nearly a full tank so this would have been impossible to perform without. I think I spilt a total of one drop. Their low profile was critical to the task. They can be had, surprising enough, at HD: MABIS 5-1/2 in. Curved Kelly Forceps-25-725-000 - The Home Depot

1 - 20 of 39 Posts