Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I often have the need to dig 20" deep ditches for electrical conduit. These ditches just need to bury conduit so they only need to be 4-6" wide. The soil in the area I reside has lots of rocks and I often encounter roots. What is the best implement to dig these ditches on a 1026R?

·
Premium Member
10,068 Posts
A 6" wide, 20" deep trench through rocky soil? You need a backhoe or a Ditch Witch. :)

That sounds like a little much for a "farm" type tractor to take on. A subsoiler would be your best bet if you had to use the tractor, but I'm afraid you'll have a hard time finding one 6" wide. Mine was only 3" wide, and I don't think it can go quite to 20". It might on the 1026 due to the smaller tires, but depending on what kind of rocks you have you may hang it up and get stuck.

If I had to do it, I'd rent a machine designed for trenching. If you really want to use the tractor though, a subsoiler would be your best bet. Just expect to make several passes.

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
I've seen a couple different 3-point trenchers that would probably be a good solution. I'd assume a backhoe would take a long time to dig a trench. Well not compared to a spade. :lol: A trenchers with a 30" stinger would tear threw most junk. My dad has a small ditchwitch with a 30" stinger and it can't have more than a 10 horse motor on it. So a 1026R with a trencher on the back and a blade on the front would make quick work of most jobs.

http://www.deere.com/en_US/docs/non_current/DSFE44469_3-pt Trencher_v1k_lr_sngl pgs.pdf

15-30 PTO horsepower

·
Premium Member
10,068 Posts
That trencher is pretty neat. Expensive, though. A quick online search turned up used ones for about $3,400.00. I'd guess a new one is over four grand. The two full size trenchers I've bought cost less than that combined.

I'm sure it's a great implement, but you'd have to be doing a lot of trenching for that to make sense. Heck, you could get the backhoe for a 1026 for about $5,000 I think. Expensive, but probably a better all around value than the trencher for most folks.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
That trencher is pretty neat. Expensive, though. A quick online search turned up used ones for about $3,400.00. I'd guess a new one is over four grand. The two full size trenchers I've bought cost less than that combined.

I'm sure it's a great implement, but you'd have to be doing a lot of trenching for that to make sense. Heck, you could get the backhoe for a 1026 for about $5,000 I think. Expensive, but probably a better all around value than the trencher for most folks.
I would concur with your thoughts on that 56FordGuy. I guess if I was doing landscaping all the time and constantly putting in pipes etc that would be a way to go. but I will just use my BH and dig the trench. It is slower but it will do the job with pretty good ease especially since this is rocky ground we are talking about and I have the same problem as well.

I remember that Kenny dug a trench using a subsoiler I believe and hooked it up so that as he pulled it along it laied the cable at the same time. It was a pretty good design. However I don't know how rocky his soil was. You can probably find his post with a little bit of searching. He might even have pictures if you go to his picture link on one of his posts.

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
He asked best way. How often is the best way and the cheap way the same? :tongue:
I agree a backhoe would be more universal.

·
Premium Member
2,904 Posts
I would use the situation as an excuse to buy the back hoe. When the day comes I have to replace my septic tank is the day I buy one, but I also have a lot of trenching to do too. To me time wouldn't matter so much if I get to spend it on my Little Green Girl. :laugh:

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
I would use the situation as an excuse to buy the back hoe. When the day comes I have to replace my septic tank is the day I buy one, but I also have a lot of trenching to do too. To me time wouldn't matter so much if I get to spend it on my Little Green Girl. :laugh:
:laugh:
I sometimes wish my tractor wasnt so fast at getting the work done...

When I first bought it, I had 5- 12 yd loads of dirt hauled in to spread out on the yard. I started slowing way down towards the end as I didnt want the fun to end.

·
Premium Member
10,068 Posts
He asked best way. How often is the best way and the cheap way the same? :tongue:
I agree a backhoe would be more universal.

Okay, you got me on that one. The Frontier trencher is certainly the best way to dig a trench with a 1026R. :laugh:

That said, I couldn't imagine buying one. I sold a 4wd Ditch Witch with a blade on the front and a 5' digging arm for over $1,000 less than they want for a used Frontier trencher. You can find similar deals all over, if you look. Then you still have the tractor free for loader work or fine grading with a box blade. :thumbup1gif:

·
Premium Member
10,068 Posts
I remember that Kenny dug a trench using a subsoiler I believe and hooked it up so that as he pulled it along it laied the cable at the same time. It was a pretty good design. However I don't know how rocky his soil was. You can probably find his post with a little bit of searching. He might even have pictures if you go to his picture link on one of his posts.
I've done a lot of trenching and ditching with a subsoiler or middle buster. They do work. In my opinion, the struggle here is not the depth or the width individually. A 6" wide trench, 5" deep? No problem. A 20" deep, 2" wide trench? Okay, maybe. But going that deep and that wide is tricky, especially in rocky soil. It's certainly not a one pass project. I'm not sure a 1026 could lift a subsoiler capable of going 20" deep high enough to clear the ground when not digging, either. It would suck to dig a trench all the way across the yard just to get where you actually want the trench! :laugh:

I don't want to come across as though I'm anti-1026 or saying this trenching project is a bad idea. Neither one of those things are true. I've just had the opportunity to work with a lot of equipment, and wanted to mention a few of the challenges on a project like this. Not to dissuade anyone from trying it, but so you know what you may be getting into and can prepare for it. :thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I appreciate the input. I'm trying to figure out if it makes any sense to even consider the 1026R for this type of work as I presently sub this type of work out with a small excavator or have it dug by hand if it's short enough. I've rented ditch witches too but I always worry about hitting too much rock for it to handle. Most of my needs are for PVC conduit usually about 2-1/2" in diameter. So the width I need may be somewhat less than I originally stated. I'm assuming from the posts a subsoiler would be an unlikely solution. I would also need to invest in a trailer to haul it around so if it's not the right tool for the job I 'd rather not make the investment of a backhoe or trencher and trailer. Maybe it's best to just keep subbing it out.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I often have the need to dig 20" deep ditches for electrical conduit. These ditches just need to bury conduit so they only need to be 4-6" wide. The soil in the area I reside has lots of rocks and I often encounter roots. What is the best implement to dig these ditches on a 1026R?
Try bxpander.com. love mine for just the purpose!

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
Um , this thread is from 2013. Why dont these old threads get locked after no activity for a year?

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Yup, and my recommended reading has more threads from 13 and 14. But if you are working with your new tractor and search on ditch digging it is a great tool sine you pick a thread and it gives you ones on similar though lines.

But your point The ability to close inactive threads so they are read only would improve this situation.

·
Super Moderator
2,574 Posts
It would have to be done automatically. There are over 885,000 posts on the site. If you figure the number of threads at 10% of that, were looking at 85,000+ threads. We don't get paid enough to do that.

Reactions: trav and rtgt

·
Registered
252 Posts
Subsoilers are cheap. For the money involved and the fact that it might be the solution, give it a try. If it absolutely isnt worth owning, turn around and sell it for $30 less than you paid. You either 1)solved your problem super cheap or at least, 2) paid $30 to know the answer first hand. That knowledge might be worth $30.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts