Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:usaabout a year ago I came across a post where 1 GTT member had a set of front tire chains on R4 tires. Does anyone know where I can get a set?:

·
Premium Member
12,721 Posts
Reactions: Levi

·
Registered
75 Posts
Front Tire Chains

I'm going to pass this along even though I can't say for sure I totally understand the reasoning.

When I purchased my 1026r close to 5 yrs ago my dealer told me to never put chains on the front tires. I never had plans to put chains on the front to begin with given what I need to use my tractor for. I had been using a 420 so just having a tractor with FWD was more than I had ever had in the past.
I do use chains on the rear but not on the front. That works for me for how I need to use my tractor in the winter.

So again, not sure what the dealers reasoning was but they were quite adamant about not putting chains on the front tires of my 1026.

Figured I would pass along to others be it right or wrong. I'll let others decide how to process that info.

·
Premium Member
12,721 Posts
So again, not sure what the dealers reasoning was but they were quite adamant about not putting chains on the front tires of my 1026.
The dealer told me the same thing about the 2720. Later I discovered that JD actually sold spacers for the front wheels for the sole purpose of providing extra clearance for tire chains. I bought a set of spacers and have been running chains on all four wheels ever since.

·
Super Moderator
5,198 Posts
Many people will recommend against putting chains on the front wheels. There's a lot more going on with the front wheels than there is with the rear wheels just because of the need to turn the tractor. The rear wheels are in a fixed position and the spacing between the tire and the rest of the machine never changes during operation.

The front wheels turn and get awfully close to a lot of bits/pieces that aren't moving. There isn't a lot of clearance between the tire and non-moving parts of the front end when those wheels are fully turned.

Add a tire chain into the mix and there is a good possibility of the chain (which is rotating with the tire) making contact and tearing things up. Imagine yourself out plowing a long driveway. You're tooling along at full speed and the inside chain band breaks loose and wraps itself around a tie rod. That chain is going to continue rotating with the tire so either the tie rod holds up and the tire/wheel comes to a screeching halt (possibly ruining your MFWD) or the chain/tire hold up and you rip the tie rod off.

Not saying that either WILL happen, but either COULD happen.

Personally, I don't really see the need for front chains but if I was going to put anything on the front wheels I think I'd look at something like the GoClaws or some sort of rubber chains instead of standard chains.

·
Premium Member
12,721 Posts
Personally, I don't really see the need for front chains but if I was going to put anything on the front wheels I think I'd look at something like the GoClaws or some sort of rubber chains instead of standard chains.
I seem to get more traction from the front tires than I do from the rear. I tried initially running only rear chains and had traction issues when conditions were icy. I would prefer to not run any chains but traction is king during the winter.

These small CUT and SCUT tractors just don't have sufficient weight to get traction to the ground.

On my old Ford 9N I ran loaded rear tires and chains and it was difficult to get the wheels to spin no matter what the conditions. So naturally when I got the 2720 with 4X4 I was thinking I really had it made. In fact the dealer told me that now that I had 4X4 I probably wouldn't even need chains. HAH!

The first winter session was a disaster. With 4X4 disengaged I couldn't even back up with the front snow blower raised as the rear wheels would just spin. It seemed 4X4 was required just to get out of the shed. Again, I attribute this to the relatively light weight of these small tractors.

For the past three winters it is been 4X4 + front chains + rear chains = no problems. :)

Reactions: Levi

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
:usa
:usaabout a year ago I came across a post where 1 GTT member had a set of front tire chains on R4 tires. Does anyone know where I can get a set?:
My dealer also told me not to put chains on the front of my 1026R. I completely understand JD's theory and everyone here on GTT. however, I was going to add the spacers so as not to interfere w/the tie rods.
My SCUT has R4 tires and it doesn't steer very well in the winter and I live in the snow belt. - put over 100 hours on last winter. I just wanted to add the chains for better steering plus, the chains will come in handy when in mud too. Which I see from time to time.

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
I have run chains on the front of my 1026r without any issues. As far as needing chains it really depends on the conditions your operating in. Some people say the 1026/1025 is unstoppable in snow with the 54" blower and there is no need for chains. I don't find this to be true. I find my 1026 to be mostly useless without chains and ballast.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,800 Posts
The dealer told me the same thing about the 2720. Later I discovered that JD actually sold spacers for the front wheels for the sole purpose of providing extra clearance for tire chains. I bought a set of spacers and have been running chains on all four wheels ever since.
As you already know, same here. :thumbup1gif:

:usa

My dealer also told me not to put chains on the front of my 1026R. I completely understand JD's theory and everyone here on GTT. however, I was going to add the spacers so as not to interfere w/the tie rods.
My SCUT has R4 tires and it doesn't steer very well in the winter and I live in the snow belt. - put over 100 hours on last winter. I just wanted to add the chains for better steering plus, the chains will come in handy when in mud too. Which I see from time to time.
You will NOT believe the improved steering and snow duties on hard packed snow or ice.
I ran front chains on our 650 for over 20 years for snow plowing and have been running them on the 2320 since 2008.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Will the tire chains damage blacktop? I'm thinking of putting chains on my 2305.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
12,721 Posts
Will the tire chains damage blacktop? I'm thinking of putting chains on my 2305.
They shouldn't, as long as you avoid spinning the tires AND are using standard chains (i.e. no ice cleats or V-Bar style). I have fluid-filled tires and chains all the way around on my 2720 and it does not leave marks on asphalt.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Great. Thanks. Spent a fortune in paving the last two years and would hate to undo the good work.

·
Registered
2,862 Posts

Chains may leave some marks. Stay away from the v-bar, or other studded chains. You should be ok with twisted link, ladder type chain if you don't spin the tires much. If you let the tractor spin a lot your going to leave marks. My dad plows his black top driveway with an ATV with chains ,and you'd never know it at this time of year. He does sealcoat his driveway every few years. That may help hide the marks from chains.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,800 Posts
Been doing it for many years, no issues.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Maybe try the rubber bar type of traction device. Was going to try them this time around but I read that they only work with turf tires.

When you have to deal with the deep stuff chains all the way around is the only way to go.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Does anyone know if they still make spacers for the front wheels or if there is an aftermarket producer?

Reactions: Gizmo2

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,800 Posts
Does anyone know if they still make spacers for the front wheels or if there is an aftermarket producer?
Not sure for the 1025R but I think the front wheels are reversible. I just don't know if they come in the wide or narrow positions.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts