Green Tractor Talk banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
2020 1025R, 120R, 54D
4,005 Posts
Just going by the post here, it seems it tends to plug before the filter on the engine. More often than not when one of these engines is down on power or not running quite right it’s because the little filter is doing it’s job and got plugged. It seems to be the first thing to get effectEd by bad fuel
That's exactly the reason for the small filter. It's the first line of defense for everything downstream, and in the big picture is very cheap and easy to replace. The only "bad" thing about it is its perceived poor location/access, and the lack of a tank shutoff for convenience.

·
Premium Member
1025r with Mauser cab.
14,665 Posts
I ran the first small filter to nearly 400 hours before replacing it and it was still flowing fine at that point but I was going into winter and didn't want to be dealing with it in the winter.

I run all of my diesel through a screen before putting it in the tractor. I have a large fuel funnel with the brass screen and dump a fuel jug through the funnel and screen into the jug which I use with the battery shut off pump. The screen always catches debris, not a lot, but just enough that over time, it would clog the filter. The debris is fine, next time I run the fuel through the funnel and screen, I will take a picture of what it catches.

This process and treating all of the fuel year around helps minimize any problems and I believe its worth the effort. Here is the funnel I use.

·
Premium Member
2020 1025R, 120R, 54D
4,005 Posts
I ran the first small filter to nearly 400 hours before replacing it and it was still flowing fine at that point but I was going into winter and didn't want to be dealing with it in the winter.

I run all of my diesel through a screen before putting it in the tractor. I have a large fuel funnel with the brass screen and dump a fuel jug through the funnel and screen into the jug which I use with the battery shut off pump. The screen always catches debris, not a lot, but just enough that over time, it would clog the filter. The debris is fine, next time I run the fuel through the funnel and screen, I will take a picture of what it catches.

This process and treating all of the fuel year around helps minimize any problems and I believe its worth the effort. Here is the funnel I use.

@SulleyBear have you tried a Mr Funnel? They filter debris AND water out of fuel.

Reactions: SulleyBear

·
Premium Member
1025r with Mauser cab.
14,665 Posts
@SulleyBear have you tried a Mr Funnel? They filter debris AND water out of fuel.
Yes, I have but perhaps its my storage methods or the place where I purchase the fuel or both, but I can't remember when I had any water filtered out. Its slower and smaller than my other funnel so I don't bother with the Mr. Funnel use very often. You have to buy a large Mr. Funnel to be able to not have to keep pouring, waiting and pouring. Also, I can't use a funnel on the filling of the tractor due to the cab, so I screen the fuel as I put it into the "pump jug" and then pump into the tractor.....

Reactions: MarkEagleUSA

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
On my lemony 1025R, you had to get it from underneath. It's almost exactly under your left foot when flat on the floor. PITA because of no valve to shut fuel off. Like I said, replace it with a piece of pipe.
Not a good idea. You can replace the filter with a valve and move the filter forward of the foot board. Much easier to change and still set up as it should be.

john Deere 1025R
loader
backhoe
47 in tiller
47 blower
5ft landscape rake
10 KW pto generator
Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk

Reactions: Mackford13

·
Registered
235 Posts
You have to buy a large Mr. Funnel to be able to not have to keep pouring, waiting and pouring. Also, I can't use a funnel on the filling of the tractor due to the cab, so I screen the fuel as I put it into the "pump jug" and then pump into the tractor.....
I have a Curtis cab on my 1025R. I put a small Mr Funnel in the fuel filler neck. The battery powered pump doesn't overflow the small funnel when pumping from 5 gallon 'pump jug'. Maybe the Mauser cab doesn't have room for the funnel?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Thanks for all the help/info guys. I've got both filters, but still waiting for the o-ring on the bigger one.

FYI - I thought at first it was beause I was just losing prime. Because I ran out of fuel once before and it did the same thing. But I eventually got the air out and things were good for years. This time I thought the same thing was happening. But then after sitting for a while, it happened again and again - so I thought the priming thing was the problem. But now, very occasionally it is running fine - but will do this when only off for less than a minute or two. But usually will start fine if only off for brief periods. So, I'm figuring it is just crud in that filter rearranging itself.

I will report back.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.