Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My H120 has always settled on the curl function some but recently has started settling much more quickly. I know the spec allows for this settling up to 7.7 inches per hour (bucket on but empty). I tested it last year and it was around 4 inches per hour and has now increased to 8 inches per hour. I recently did 4-5 hours of road work though I don't see how use could cause additional wear when the parts are moving in oil. It has 165 hours on it.

It is now inconvenient enough that I am willing to spend some money and do something about it. From what I know about these systems, the issue is almost certainly the SCV valve itself. Is that accurate? Is there anything else I should look at before ponying up the $900 for the valve? Is there any challenges in swapping it myself?

I have also emailed my dealer for a price to simply trade it for a new one.

·
Registered
4,468 Posts
Were you aware of the "floppy bucket syndrome" of many of the 1026's and early 1025's that led to the replacement of the SCV? The syndrome was the bucket dropping a bit upon curling up when the SCV lever was just off neutral. There was/is a DTAC on the problem and the dealer would do a "fix as needed" instead of a straight our recall, and there was a series of serial numbers involved (IIRC). JD would replace the SCV with an "updated" part number under warranty.

If you never had the problem and still have the original SCV, I am wondering if left unattended, the additional wear on the SCV issue that caused floppy bucket would eventually manifest itself to droop in neutral as you are seeing now.

A lot of time has past since the FBS issue first surfaced, and I don't know if JD would still honor the DTAC. I'm sure we can find the DTAC number, and just thinking if the 2 are related.

Try a search and if you want more information, check back here and I'm sure myself and others can chime in.

Just my 2 cents.

Reactions: kylew

·
Premium Member
809 Posts
Just to be clear, it's the bucket curl dumping on its own, not the loader lift going down on its own? I've seen and heard lots of people experience the loader lift leaking down, and seen and experienced the old generation droopy bucket syndrome. But dump leak down is a not something I've commonly seen or read about.

Those old SCVs were not the greatest and could certainly be the culprit. But it could just as easily be the seals in the cylinders leaking down. Disconnect the hydraulic lines from the tractor and see if the leak down still occurs. If it still leaks down, it's the cylinder seals, not the SCV. If it does not leak down, it's the SCV.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The boom cylinders seem to hold almost indefinitely. The bucket curls down roughly 8" in an hour. Unplugging the hydraulic lines is a good suggestion and I will try that later today.

·
Administrator
18,276 Posts
I suspect the cylinders need rebuilding.

·
Registered
4,468 Posts
Good thought, but he only has 165 hours on the clock. SCV and/or cylinders should last a lot longer than 165?

Unfortunate that he is probably beyond warranty.

·
Premium Member
809 Posts
Good thought, but he only has 165 hours on the clock. SCV and/or cylinders should last a lot longer than 165?

Unfortunate that he is probably beyond warranty.
165 hours and 8 years... The SCV is known to be a POS from back then. And who knows what those cylinders have been through in the last 8 years.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks, guys. I think we are making some progress here. I disconnected the loader hoses and the bucket still dropped which eliminates the tractor valve from the issue. Yay!

One thing I forgot to mention here that may be pertinent, I have an Artillion diverter valve installed. Could that be a factor? Its on the loader side of the equation. I just used the grapple a few days ago and it worked fine. Any thoughts on it? Could it leak causing the bucket to drop?

I do think Kenny is likely correct. One cylinder was replaced under warranty in 2013 as it leaked. John Deere moved this cylinder production to Mexico at about this timeframe which makes them very suspect. I won't comment on why a Mexican made cylinder should cost over $600...

·
Administrator
18,276 Posts
I don't think the diverter would be causing this, sounds like classic piston seal leakby to me.

·
Registered
4,468 Posts
Thanks, guys. I think we are making some progress here. I disconnected the loader hoses and the bucket still dropped which eliminates the tractor valve from the issue. Yay!

I do think Kenny is likely correct. One cylinder was replaced under warranty in 2013 as it leaked.
I bow to the GTT Master of Hydraulic Knowledge - Kennyd

Reactions: Kennyd

·
Premium Member
1,002 Posts
8" in an hour seems normal to me with the tractor turned off... Its not happening when the tractor is running right? I read through your comments but did not see where you said it is running?

·
Administrator
18,276 Posts
Loaders will settle even with the tractor running. When the valve is in neutral, there is no way for the pump to keep pressure on the loader cylinders, and there is no feedback circuit to let the pump know the loader is settling anyway...

Reactions: theduke

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yep. Especially when the loader isn't even connected to the tractor :). I contacted my dealer today and think I will let them rebuild the cylinders even though it is definitely something I could do. They had kits in stock for one cylinder and will order another set as I will have the do both cylinders.

I can assure that when it drops that fast you know something isn't normal. The 8" drop is with an empty bucket. Its much faster with a load. You will have something in the bucket and get sidetracking working on something and it seems like in no time the load ends up on the ground.

·
Premium Member
809 Posts
Even if a solenoid in the diverter was leaking, it will be leaking into a short hose that goes nowhere. I don't think you'd even notice.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts