Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used my FEL about a week ago. The grass has been too dry to cut it so it has sat in the garage since. I checked the MMM for leaks before cutting the grass today. There was a very small drip of fluid on the deck nothing to worry about. However, after two hours of cutting grass today you can see that it is leaking pretty good. My question is this normal? Very disappointing if it is. I can't tell for sure but it looks like the "blue" port is the one that is leaking. Has anyone else had or have this problem? Auto part Wire Fuel line Fuel pump Engine
Machine Machine tool Angle grinder

·
Registered
489 Posts
Eric,

If it's only leaking when the FEL is detached, the ball stop in one of the 4 connectors must be where the fluid is coming from. With the tractor running, momentarily operate the SCV joystick in all 4 directions. Then see which connector has fluid coming out of it. Clean and/or replace that connector.

·
Administrator
23,173 Posts
Not normal at all, let your dealer know about it ASAP-send him those pictures if you can as well.

What is the brand of QD's they are using now? The Pioneer's on my tractor have never dripped a drop over the years...have they started using some cheaper brand?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I used my FEL about a week ago. The grass has been too dry to cut it so it has sat in the garage since. I checked the MMM for leaks before cutting the grass today. There was a very small drip of fluid on the deck nothing to worry about. However, after two hours of cutting grass today you can see that it is leaking pretty good. My question is this normal? Very disappointing if it is. I can't tell for sure but it looks like the "blue" port is the one that is leaking. Has anyone else had or have this problem? View attachment 9438 View attachment 9439
New Couplers came in and had them installed today. Too much rain to cut grass today - maybe tomorrow. Hope this takes care of it. Thanks for all your all's help.

·
Registered
4,963 Posts
Glad you got your leak fixed.:good2:

BTW, how many did the dealer replace?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, I have a new wrinkle with the coupler replacement. I have cut mine and my neighbors grass since receiving my tractor back. On the way back from my neighbors house, I heard the transmission making a funny growling noise. I checked the hydraulic fluid and didnt see any on the stick. I let it cool for the required hour and still no fluid on the stick. Checked for leaks - none found. I called the dealer to see if they had checked the fluid after installing the hydraulic couplers. He called me back after talking to the tech and said that he didn't check the fluid! I asked, isnt the hyd. couplers using the same fluid as the transmission? Yes they do. I said then why wouldn't the tech check the fluid after the installation? The dealers response was, "I didn't ask them to check the fluids"! I told him that this should be routine to check after installing a part of this kind. He said no they don't check it unless asked to. Unbelievable! I asked him so how do I get the fluid that should have been under warranty (36 hrs)? Well, I don't know. I don't know how you can warranty just the fluid. Disgusted, I just bought a gallon of fluid and put it in my self. My salesman was great but this is my first service request and we are not off to a great start. Im going to try another store next time maybe it is just this one store. I kick myself for not checking the fluid myself after I got it back. I just thought, who knows their product better than John Deere and "trusted" them to do it right! I have been in the automotive service industry all of my life and I know better. Lesson learned.

·
Administrator
22,591 Posts
I had the same thing happen to me after using the FEL for the first time. I topped it off and checked it again after a little more use and I was good to go. The FEL was dry and using it filled the cylinders and lines but depleted the supply.

Sorry to hear your dealer wasn't very helpful in your situation.

Sent using Tapatalk.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Leak

Eric, if the dealer changed the couplers, they would of lost even more fluid. Common sense would have told them, if you had a leak, it needs more fluid.
Adding more hydraulic attachments means needing more fluid. Case in point, my dealer added a front plow kit, but didn't think about the new cylinders and hoses needing more. I built a new third service valve with cylinder and 23 feet of new hoses, that took 4 more quarts of fluid. Now I always check the level at least every week if not sooner.
KHOP

·
Registered
440 Posts
Well, I have a new wrinkle with the coupler replacement. I have cut mine and my neighbors grass since receiving my tractor back. On the way back from my neighbors house, I heard the transmission making a funny growling noise. I checked the hydraulic fluid and didnt see any on the stick. I let it cool for the required hour and still no fluid on the stick. Checked for leaks - none found. I called the dealer to see if they had checked the fluid after installing the hydraulic couplers. He called me back after talking to the tech and said that he didn't check the fluid! I asked, isnt the hyd. couplers using the same fluid as the transmission? Yes they do. I said then why wouldn't the tech check the fluid after the installation? The dealers response was, "I didn't ask them to check the fluids"! I told him that this should be routine to check after installing a part of this kind. He said no they don't check it unless asked to. Unbelievable! I asked him so how do I get the fluid that should have been under warranty (36 hrs)? Well, I don't know. I don't know how you can warranty just the fluid. Disgusted, I just bought a gallon of fluid and put it in my self. My salesman was great but this is my first service request and we are not off to a great start. Im going to try another store next time maybe it is just this one store. I kick myself for not checking the fluid myself after I got it back. I just thought, who knows their product better than John Deere and "trusted" them to do it right! I have been in the automotive service industry all of my life and I know better. Lesson learned.
Man that's messed up. Seems your service guy might be a little :cookoo: I hope your transmission is OK. You mentioned mowing your yard and your neighbors yard then noticed the "funny growling" noise. Hopefully they aren't large yards.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the support from everyone. As a matter of fact we both have an acre and a half a piece which translates into a lot of transmission usage with low oil. On top of that part of that acreage on both properties have 30 degree hills. So the transmission got a work out. I don't know if it was growling while cutting the lawns because I was using hearing protection. Another lesson learned. Don't wear my hearing protection until I have "listened" to everything before getting started. So we will see. So far the transmission is working. Maybe this is one time when quality will make up for things like this!?

I was going to just buy the fluid, about $17, and forget it. Then I got to thinking, what if this were to happen to someone less knowledgable than I am about these things? I decided I should let my salesman know about it so maybe they can correct this issue for the next guy. He was the reason I bought it there. He was genuinely furious. Said he would look into and take care of me. He has been absolutely terrific, so I have no doubt he will do what ever he can do. Unfortunately as a salesman he is limited on power and authority. It alls boils down to the dealer principles decision. (His decision will tell me a lot about how customer oriented he will be, for any future dealings with this dealer.)

·
Administrator
22,591 Posts
I wouldn't loose too much sleep on your transmission. The noise you heard was air mixed with oil being forced through the system. It was being lubricated, just not with air free oil. As long as it wasn't operated dry, as in it wouldn't move on its own power, you'll be fine.

When you operate on a slope it doesn't take much to get an air bubble in the hydraulics when low on fluid. Once the air is in the oil, it will stay in for a while because of the constant fluid movement. Just shutting it down for a few minutes will let the bubbles rise and diminish. I can tell you that it doesn't take much to be low and cause this issue.

The other thing to remember is that you reported the issue to your dealer. They should take care of you in case it does become a problem. :good2:

Sent using Tapatalk.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Update: My salesman, great guy, and as honest as the days is long, called and apologized after hearing my story. I wasn't going to say anything to them about this incident. Then I started thinking about the next guy who may have this happen to them and maybe not as knowledgeable about mechanical processes as I am. Plus, should anything happen to my transmission, at least I will have a record of this incident. It may help down the road should a problem arise. Hopefully nothing untoward has occurred. So I figured that I would let him know about it. I did find out that they replaced all four couplers. Which would have cause more fluid loss. Even more of a reason to check the fluid.

To make a long story short, they have offered to perform my transmission service at the 100 hour interval free of charge. I actually was only asking for my money back that I initially paid for the fluid. So this worked out just fine as long as nothing happens in the future. Again I can't tell you how much I appreciate the information and support the members of this site has offered. Thank you so much!

·
Registered
56 Posts
mine leaks tooo!

Yup! had the same problem with my 1026R.
Had a pinched o-ring at one female port (Red) and replaced the yellow port.
I also had to replace all male ports on the H120 loader they all leak when disconnected.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Update: My salesman, great guy, and as honest as the days is long, called and apologized after hearing my story. I wasn't going to say anything to them about this incident. Then I started thinking about the next guy who may have this happen to them and maybe not as knowledgeable about mechanical processes as I am. Plus, should anything happen to my transmission, at least I will have a record of this incident. It may help down the road should a problem arise. Hopefully nothing untoward has occurred. So I figured that I would let him know about it. I did find out that they replaced all four couplers. Which would have cause more fluid loss. Even more of a reason to check the fluid.

To make a long story short, they have offered to perform my transmission service at the 100 hour interval free of charge. I actually was only asking for my money back that I initially paid for the fluid. So this worked out just fine as long as nothing happens in the future. Again I can't tell you how much I appreciate the information and support the members of this site has offered. Thank you so much!
Follow up to above article;
Normally, I enjoy working and maintaining my own equipment. My schedule has been too hectic to change my own Trans fluid so I thought I would call my JD dealer and set up an appointment before I ran over my hours. Plus, due to a dealer snafu (of not topping off my Trans fluids after replacing my hydraulic couplers that were leaking), this was going to be a free service.

In verifying what they actually do for a Trans service, I found that my dealer only changes the filter and not the fluid. They only top it off. I told him that I had heard stories and seen pictures of contaminated fluids. He said that in their experience, they don't encounter this problem and therefore only top them off. Needless to say I canceled my appointment and will make time to do it myself.
Thanks to everyone for showing the importance of proper maintenance. This site is extremely valuable to have as a source for us do-it-yourselfers.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Needless to say I canceled my appointment and will make time to do it myself.
Thanks to everyone for showing the importance of proper maintenance. This site is extremely valuable to have as a source for us do-it-yourselfers.
If you want it done right, you have to do it yourself. The level of service (and knowledge) I see at my John Deere dealer is sub-standard.
I'm comparing that service level to the dealings I've had with Chevy, Ford and Harley Davidson dealerships.

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
Ditto "good move!" If my dealer wants to go against JD maintenance policy, I'd run too! I believe the manual sez "50 hours gets oil/filter change". Just a few hours over won't hurt and you'll feel better about your machine's innerds.

·
Premium Member
715 Posts
Follow up to above article;
In verifying what they actually do for a Trans service, I found that my dealer only changes the filter and not the fluid. They only top it off. I told him that I had heard stories and seen pictures of contaminated fluids. He said that in their experience, they don't encounter this problem and therefore only top them off. Needless to say I canceled my appointment and will make time to do it myself.
Good decision on your part. I myself have a hard time waiting the longer periods for oil changes on newer vehicles. Usually I get nervious and change them early. My tractors I normally go by the book. I never understood changing filters and not fluids. That would bother me too.

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
Transmission 50 hour requirement

Right from the 1026r Deere's mouth via the printed manual:

After First 50 Hours

• Change transmission oil and filter.

• Clean transmission suction screen.
I post this as an educational tool for anyone's dealer believing it's OK to slide by with just the simple filter change to save a few bucks. Print it out... Then tuck it down the front of his shirt.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.