Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took the tractor this past Sat in to get the creeping taken care of and a seal replaced on MM pto . Hadn't heard from the dealer so called today. Seems they have replaced the seal 2 times on this visit and once last summer. Leave is set and about 6 hrs later or over night and a drop maybe 2 drops of hyd fluid.. Just wondering if anyone else has had any problem like this.
Shop foreman told me , everything seems tight ,no movement on shaft, even put a different type seal in and still doing same thing..

He was checking a few things but so far hadn't come up with anything!!

·
Registered
56 Posts
mine went to shop with around 30 hours on the clock for a new gear box,,, it was slinging gear lube out the seal,, after taking the MMM off,,, I looked at the gear box and there was a lot of slop in the input shaft,, like the bearing was out,, they agreed,, new gear box installed all is fine now,,, check for slop in bearing,, that may be your problem..

·
Registered
373 Posts
Maybe it's not the seal?

Could there be a pitted spot in the shaft or a porous shaft casting? I've seen a rubber seal wear a groove in a polished shaft before, but I would think that would take several hundred hours to occur. Maybe a more experienced technician needs to examine it.

·
Premium Member
14,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Could there be a pitted spot in the shaft or a porous shaft casting? I've seen a rubber seal wear a groove in a polished shaft before, but I would think that would take several hundred hours to occur. Maybe a more experienced technician needs to examine it.
mine went to shop with around 30 hours on the clock for a new gear box,,, it was slinging gear lube out the seal,, after taking the MMM off,,, I looked at the gear box and there was a lot of slop in the input shaft,, like the bearing was out,, they agreed,, new gear box installed all is fine now,,, check for slop in bearing,, that may be your problem..
Myasis Dragon ,,,Thanks for info will call shop foreman and mention this to him. Oh tractor has about 350 hrs had around 235 or so last summer when the first one was replaced.

teddy the tractor.. Was this on the mmm throwing grease or the tractor ? Mine is the tractor with just a drop or two of hyd fluid , either way thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
I agree 100%

·
Premium Member
14,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just talked with shop foreman and they was checking those items and thinking maybe a hair line crack in case, hadn't had any on series 1 but there is always a first.

·
Premium Member
14,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update 4-09-14

Talked with shop foreman today , bringing tractor back in the shop, they had rechecked the shaft found no burrs. They didn't have any more seals so received a shipment and was going to try one more today. Will know more tomorrow morning if still leaking next step new mm pto shaft..

Hoping this takes care of the drip , or could be maybe 2 more weeks without tractor.. I'm getting lonely. :cray:

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,488 Posts
Talked with shop foreman today , bringing tractor back in the shop, they had rechecked the shaft found no burrs. They didn't have any more seals so received a shipment and was going to try one more today. Will know more tomorrow morning if still leaking next step new mm pto shaft..

Hoping this takes care of the drip , or could be maybe 2 more weeks without tractor.. I'm getting lonely. :cray:
:empathy:

·
Registered
153 Posts
oh man! 2 weeks can be a long time.
Not sure keep throwing seals at it is right approach but what do I know. The original and 2 seals later I'm thinking would lead me in another direction. just sayin

·
Premium Member
14,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
oh man! 2 weeks can be a long time.
Not sure keep throwing seals at it is right approach but what do I know. The original and 2 seals later I'm thinking would lead me in another direction. just sayin
Shop foreman thought maybe they damaged the 2nd one ,so they wanted to check their work. Plus they did take a closer look at the shaft and felt it is OK . Should know something some time tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
14,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Not sure ,for now , but guess we'll find out .I haven't heard from dealer so I'm guessing it is still leaking. He was wondering if shaft or maybe a fine line crack in case. ????????????? Just want it fixed and hoping its not a very deep dig to find the trouble.

·
Premium Member
14,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Update 4/12/2014

I had left the shop foreman a email on Wed hadn't heard from him. This morning cool about 41-45deg out but decided I needed a scooter ride. Wife was busy making a birthday cake for the oldest grandson and I needed out of the house. Needed parts, at least part of my excuse for ride. Rode to Oakland Md walked in the shop ,,No shop foreman, ask the mechanic and was he told me "shop foreman in Atlanta, been there since Wed and won't be back till Tues I think" Good reason why he hadn't replied to me, but mechanic told me as far as he knew tractor was ready to go. Guessing they had 2 defective seals because they got in a new shipment . He said he cleaned the shaft again and rechecked it could not find anything.
It seems to be holding no leaks , it has been done since Thur and still dry. So I'm guessing I'll get a phone call on Tues or Wed at the latest to come and get the tractor.. Just relieved they didn't have to take the case off and dig deeper.

·
Administrator
20,715 Posts
That's good news Gene! When are you getting it back?

·
Premium Member
14,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Jason , I'm guessing shop foreman will be back on Tues so either sometime Tues or Wed for sure. From what the mechanic told me yesterday he felt it was fixed , I just wanted the shop foreman to agree. Had a birthday party to go to last evening so not enough time yesterday, plus, knew I wouldn't use it anyway till first of the week.

·
Premium Member
3,964 Posts
Jason , I'm guessing shop foreman will be back on Tues so either sometime Tues or Wed for sure. From what the mechanic told me yesterday he felt it was fixed , I just wanted the shop foreman to agree. Had a birthday party to go to last evening so not enough time yesterday, plus, knew I wouldn't use it anyway till first of the week.
I never realized you you were closer to a dealer in MD than Middle Town JD

·
Premium Member
14,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I never realized you you were closer to a dealer in MD than Middle Town JD
Since Middle Town bought Maple Mt in Uniontown they would only be 22-34 miles . When I bought Maple Mt in Uniontown didn't make a good offer after buying 4 other tractors from them. Had checked with Middle they were way , way off in offer that is why dealer in Md.

Yea going the back roads about 36 miles , going I68 to Friendsville ,Md and then better roads about 55 -58 miles. Either way takes about the same amount of time.

·
Premium Member
14,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Final update

Talked with shop foreman and yep ready to go. Thought it was but had wanted to check with him before making the trip.
:yahoo:

·
Registered
947 Posts
Good to hear Gene,

I hope it all works out for you.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Since Middle Town bought Maple Mt in Uniontown they would only be 22-34 miles . When I bought Maple Mt in Uniontown didn't make a good offer after buying 4 other tractors from them. Had checked with Middle they were way , way off in offer that is why dealer in Md.

Yea going the back roads about 36 miles , going I68 to Friendsville ,Md and then better roads about 55 -58 miles. Either way takes about the same amount of time.
Bought mine from Middletown in Uniontown last year, and just last week got my father-in-law the same exact tractor I have for $1050 less. :banghead:
According to the sales guy each dealer is given cash from mother-deer each month to counter offers from other manufacturers. One phone call to the Fairmont dealership and they approved using the cash. I learned a lot more in the skill of negotiating. :lol:

I hope they were able to fix the leaks you had.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts