Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I seem to have a gremlin in my electrical system of my 2012 - 1026R
If I run it over an hour it will suddenly just shut off, much as if I just jumped off the seat!
The warmer it gets (NOT OVERHEATING by any means!!) the worse it becomes & shuts off.
Did it twice today while raking the trails with a 48" rake, not really hard work, both within
10 minutes, once while raising bucket & last was just driving to go drop rake off.

Usually it starts right back up with a restart, display says "shft to neut"

Had this issue since 24 hours (bought used, now out of warranty) has 72 hours on it.

I have removed both the key & the PTO/RIO switch, cleaned the contacts & applied dielectric grease.
Checked the seat switch connector, & changed the fuel solenoid relay.

When it first happened, it would stay dead like the key was shut off.
Now it just QUITS, but the panel stays active and tells me to "shft to neut"
Runs great otherwise, no smoke, fresh fuel, new filters & I use a diesel additive.

Did NOT do it last winter when I was bucketing snow for 2 hours.

My local dealer service tech is very helpful but also stumped.
Any thoughts, ideas or suggestions?
Thank you all!!

·
Administrator
20,852 Posts
Do you have any electrical modifications to your safety circuits like RIO bypass or seat switch bypassed? If so, check those out and verify they aren't the issue.

Does it happen when you hit the reverse pedal. Was the PTO on?

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would think the seat switch is faulty, but that's just my opinion.
I tried the butt wiggle to see if that was it, didn't seem to have any effect.
Maybe I am doing it wrong??

I also moved the wires going to the fuel solenoid that were close to rubbing on the corner of the engine block.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No safety switch modifications

Do you have any electrical modifications to your safety circuits like RIO bypass or seat switch bypassed? If so, check those out and verify they aren't the issue.

Does it happen when you hit the reverse pedal. Was the PTO on?
Have not modified the PTO/RIO switch as only the snow blower is PTO driven, no mower, etc.
Seat switch has not been modified & won't be as I have grand kids.

Never had it happen in reverse.

I do greatly appreciate the help & ideas!!
Thank you!

·
Registered
967 Posts
With the tractor running.... Try jiggling the ignition switch?:unknown:

Then I would defiantly look at the Seat Kill Switch.

Lastly for this morning.... I would replace the fuel filter under the left-side floor board.

·
Administrator
20,852 Posts
The last owner to report this had a short in the wiring for the fuel solenoid right up against the engine block. You said you already checked that, but I would look at it pretty hard.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Key switch, seat switch, fuel filter

With the tractor running.... Try jiggling the ignition switch?:unknown:

Then I would defiantly look at the Seat Kill Switch.

Lastly for this morning.... I would replace the fuel filter under the left-side floor board.
I have tried wiggling the key switch, as well as the PTO/RIO switch , can't get it to stop when I do that, maybe something bad inside switch(s) ?? Same for seat switch.

As far as the filter, doesn't slow down or sputter & starts right back up in a second.
Filter is new as well as fuel, checked both filters.

Wondering if something is heating up more the longer it's used & opening up??

Thank you for your reply & help!!

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wire short on block

The last owner to report this had a short in the wiring for the fuel solenoid right up against the engine block. You said you already checked that, but I would look at it pretty hard.
I moved these away last year & zip tied them away from the block. 20140713_094806.jpg
Still look fine, not against block.

Any chance the solenoid gets hot & drops out??
I replaced the solenoid relay this summer along with the filters.

I can run it ALL day dragging logs & limbs out of the woods & bucketing logs to the wood splitter, but then I am shutting it off after 30 minutes of run time. It's only when I run for and hour or more straight, why I am thinking something is heating up & moving causing a circuit break momentarily?

Thank you for your help & replies!!

·
Registered
967 Posts
I moved these away last year & zip tied them away from the block. View attachment 34243
Still look fine, not against block.

Any chance the solenoid gets hot & drops out??
I replaced the solenoid relay this summer along with the filters.

I can run it ALL day dragging logs & limbs out of the woods & bucketing logs to the wood splitter, but then I am shutting it off after 30 minutes of run time. It's only when I run for and hour or more straight, why I am thinking something is heating up & moving causing a circuit break momentarily?

Thank you for your help & replies!!
Kool! Going to check my tractor today for this issue. Although my 26R runs fine....... Good brain food.

Don't suppose you could narrow down the location of this wiring for all of us otherwise... don't think the wife will appreciate me sending her down under the engine on bare ground. (LOL).

·
Registered
184 Posts
I'll ask the obvious:

Are you moving forward on the seat?
Are you bouncing on the seat?
Is your body weight low, like well under 200 lbs?

In other words is your body weight or movement on the seat allowing the seat safety switch to open?

Reactions: Duke Snyder

·
Registered
967 Posts
Kool! Going to check my tractor today for this issue. Although my 26R runs fine....... Good brain food.

Don't suppose you could narrow down the location of this wiring for all of us otherwise... don't think the wife will appreciate me sending her down under the engine on bare ground. (LOL).
Ok.... found it! No problems there. Factory Zip-Tied off and no rubbing issue as far as I can see. :thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm guessing not the seat?

I'll ask the obvious:

Are you moving forward on the seat?
Are you bouncing on the seat?
Is your body weight low, like well under 200 lbs?

In other words is your body weight or movement on the seat allowing the seat safety switch to open?
I'm 6 feet & lean back into the seat, just the right fit so I'm not forward on seat,
definitely not bouncing!! LOL
I weigh 260, even without a switch, that should crush the wires together!!

Thanks!

·
Administrator
20,852 Posts
I'm 6 feet & lean back into the seat, just the right fit so I'm not forward on seat,
definitely not bouncing!! LOL
I weigh 260, even without a switch, that should crush the wires together!!

Thanks!
I have two thoughts....

1. Try jumping your seat switch. If the problem disappears, then you know what to do.

2. Can you see what the ICC says at the moment of shutdown? I wonder if it is the ICC shutting down the engine or something after that dropping the fuel solenoid.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
More ideas...

I have two thoughts....

1. Try jumping your seat switch. If the problem disappears, then you know what to do.

2. Can you see what the ICC says at the moment of shutdown? I wonder if it is the ICC shutting down the engine or something after that dropping the fuel solenoid.
Today I pulled & tested the seat switch with a meter / tester, it passed, contacts were clean but I applied dielectric grease & reassembled.

All the panel says is "shft to neut" & restarts.

I got an email from a service tech that said there is a remote possibility the fuel solenoid is failing & dropping out or possible the battery or battery ground connection. Battery looks clean & tight. Tomorrow I will remove the main ground wire from the battery to the tractor, clean & inspect that.

Many thanks to all for all the ideas & help!!
20141020_150459.jpg

·
Registered
967 Posts
Today I pulled & tested the seat switch with a meter / tester, it passed, contacts were clean but I applied dielectric grease & reassembled.

All the panel says is "shft to neut" & restarts.

I got an email from a service tech that said there is a remote possibility the fuel solenoid is failing & dropping out or possible the battery or battery ground connection. Battery looks clean & tight. Tomorrow I will remove the main ground wire from the battery to the tractor, clean & inspect that.

Many thanks to all for all the ideas & help!!
View attachment 34267
Kool! Service Tech is still working the issue, (Good Customer Service). Well it looks like this may be an "Wait and See what develops" or you can start replacing parts to "See" if it corrects the problem. I just pulled and cleaned my battery terminals to get a jump on any battery issue with winter coming on. A ground wire issue? Totally feasible.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Service Tech may be on to something...

I emailed & talked to my sales & service guys at Frontier yesterday, the more they asked questions the more I could recall in detail. I remember & now kick myself for not posting this earlier!!

I can run it all day on & off when I pull logs or tree limbs from the woods, or when I bucket the cut logs to the splitter. However then for safety sake, I shut the tractor OFF while cutting, trimming or splitting.

It's only when I'm in the seat for a longer period, like when bucketing several loads of gravel for the driveway or trail raking or grooming. Also those take place in warm weather. I have run the bucket during the COLD for hours with no issues.

My tech is thinking it's the fuel solenoid getting HOT & dropping out.
Dieselshadow was very close to that as well with the panel saying "shift to neut"

I thought it just meant "shift to neut" so I can restart & not realize it's an error code!

I will get a new one & put it on and hopefully have a "happy ending" to this chapter!:thumbup1gif:
Many THANKS!!! to all for ideas & help!!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Have you checked you fuel tank cap? Double check the breather hole is not partially blocked which can slowly build a vacuum in your tank. Happened to me on another JD product and it stumped everyone until I just happened to look at it and noticed it was partially blocked with dirt. Cleaned it and the problem was gone. Good luck.

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
Have you checked you fuel tank cap? Double check the breather hole is not partially blocked which can slowly build a vacuum in your tank. Happened to me on another JD product and it stumped everyone until I just happened to look at it and noticed it was partially blocked with dirt. Cleaned it and the problem was gone. Good luck.

This also happened to me on a JD L120 lawn tractor. It would run fine until you put a load on it. Classic case of fuel starvation. New fuel cap fixed that problem, but it is one that I will always remember to check first if I have another similar problem.

Dave

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Fuel tank cap.

This also happened to me on a JD L120 lawn tractor. It would run fine until you put a load on it. Classic case of fuel starvation. New fuel cap fixed that problem, but it is one that I will always remember to check first if I have another similar problem.

Dave
I had that problem on a CX Gator, there it would slow down & then quit.
This problem is an instant dead stop, much the same as if you jumped off the seat.

Fuel system is good & it always restarts right as I shift to neutral & turn key.
The theory of the fuel solenoid getting hot and dropping out does make sense as the longer I run it, especially on a hot day, the more issue it becomes. I worked in a factory for 33 years & I do know solenoids fail in different ways. This is not a cheap fix at $186.oo but makes the most sense to date.

Many thanks for the ideas & help!!

1 - 20 of 48 Posts