Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1026r a little under a yr with 60hrs. No more than 10hrs into using it I had a hydrolic seal break and spray fluid everywhere. I was recently using my tractor to move large amounts of sand. I would switch from using my box blades to the front loader to make mounds of sand that I would pick up and move. At one point I had scooped up a large load of sand and was going in reverse when I saw liquid spraying from under the left side of my seat. Seconds later I heard what sounded to be gears grinding and immediately stopped. My transmission oil was completely dry; it all seemed to have literally spilled/sprayed out beneath me. I'm trying to understand if I am using the tractor wrong, pushing it too hard, or just dealing with a manufacturer error. At this point I'm afraid to use the tractor in fear that it will break again. I'm waiting for it to be picked up to see what the issue really is. Was I wrong in the way I was using the tractor? Do I need a stronger tractor?

·
Administrator
20,906 Posts
Welcome to GTT!

Leaks do happen.... Hoses do break, seals will let go, something may hang up once in while. Unfortunately that's part of ownership of any equipment that has the ability to do work. It's the norm for any heavy equipment. I wouldn't consider the 1026R heavy equipment, but it shares the same components, just smaller. We just don't want to see that happen especially with a newer machine. I understand your frustration. We've all been there at some point.

Most likely you don't have a major failure or any real damage from running the trans empty of fluid. As long as you didn't run it for an extended period of time without fluid, you should be just fine. Once fixed, you should be all set.:good2:

Can you post a picture of where your leak is? We can help you much better with more pinpoint info a picture can provide.

Are you still under warranty? You said you've had it for about a year. I'd think you're still under warranty. If you are, no issue at all. Your dealer should square it away in no time.:thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
:wgtt:

It does not sound like you are abusing the tractor, just an unfortunate issue.

Do you happen to have the hydraulic lift? Coming from under the left floorboard I would suspect either the filter go punctured or the hydraulic mower lift hose developed a leak. At about 50 hrs my hydraulic lift fitting at the cylinder blew out the o-ring. $.10 later at the hydraulic shop and all was well.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,848 Posts
Welcome to GTT palmerbe.
I also agree with both previous replies. And yes most of us have been through the same type of issue and for the ones that haven't yet, they will.
Good luck with it.

Reactions: palmerbe

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
1026r issue

I want to thank everyone for responding to my post. I'll be sure to post a picture of where I think the leak is. I am told that I am still under warrenty as long as it wasn't operator error. I guess that is in part what made me nervous when speaking with the dealership. By the end of the phone call they had made me feel as if it was something I had done but said they were only doing it to cover them. I didn't feel supported.

·
Premium Member
3,964 Posts
If you have a good enough leak and have hydro fluid everywhere it might not be a bad idea to spray the with engine or parts cleaner. Start the tractor let it run for 30 seconds or so and take a look again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
here is where I believe the leak to be. It is just above the left rear tire. View attachment 28185
That is the fuel hose coming off the fuel tank.....which I think is a crappy design on Deere's part for the record.

Do you have the hydro lift for the MMM or does it use the 3 pt hitch to raise and lower the mower?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
1026r

I have a hydro lift. The picture that I took most not be where I think the leak is coming from as it still shows a half tank full. What I do know for sure is that the leak is coming somewhere from the left side as fluid had puddled on the foot rest.

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
If you lost all your hydro fluid I wouldn't start the machine. Running that pump empty will end it's life very quickly and if it locks up it'll also take out the shaft going to the motor. No one would want that. As long as I've been on this site I've not seen a story of anyone loosing all of their fluid that quickly. If you have hydralic lift mower I don't see that hose causing your issue as you were using your loader and the mower lift uses the bucket curl circuit. Now you could have ran over your lift cylinder line and that would leak a fair amout of fluid, but that wouldn't cause a grinding sound from the hydro pump. I have to be careful with my deck lift line when the mower is off because it will hang down and could easily get under a tire and ripped off.

Have you checked the fluid for the hydro? There is a dipstick on the back of the tractor. If it has fluid then that should be a relief. How much fluid is on the ground? If you caught the Ind Lift line and ripped it off that could leave a quart on the ground maybe. If you dumped your entire hydro sump then a LARGE amount of hydro fluid would be on the ground. It is possible something sharp got under your tractor and broke a line or worse punch a hole in a case somewhere. These tractors don't really have a "skid plate" for belly protection.

The 1026R is a pretty tough little machine. I wouldn't doubt it's ability until I looked into the failure point and the cause. :thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
8 Posts
1026R blowing fluids past the tranny filter gasket

I was looking for something like this as a problem with the 1026R. I was working with the FEL and noticed that I was leaking fluids. I shut down immediately and went looking for the source. It was everywhere, so I had my son start the tractor whilst I looked. It was coming out of the filter mating surface. I was reading up on the tractor when I noticed that the first service was at 50 Hours. I was at 68 hours and thus decided it best to complete the changes. I replaced the fluids, filter and cleaned the screen and magnet. I ensured the filter was as tight as I could get it with my hands and then put a small snugging with the filter wrench. Started the tractor and within seconds was shooting oil past the new filter. I then put a drip pan under the filter, jacked the tractor up from the left side, and pulled the new filter. It had lifted gasket at one spot and pushed it out so that the oil had a path to exit. I checked the gaskets closely, the mating surface on the tractor and reinstalled everything. Tried again with the same results and at 100 dollars in service materials, I am not interested in shooting new oil into my yard.

Does this oil filter need extra torque to seal? Is there anything within the tranny that could be causing a over psi situation? I did not hear any grinding, the housing or oil were not hot to touch and I didn't smell anything over heating. I am at a loss as to why an filter with 6o hours or so would just all of a sudden blow by. It was lose enough for me to remove with just my hands but the new filter was torqued with a filter wrench and it did it as well. Please let me know if this has come up with others or if I just need to try some more umph on that filter.

·
Administrator
20,906 Posts
I was looking for something like this as a problem with the 1026R. I was working with the FEL and noticed that I was leaking fluids. I shut down immediately and went looking for the source. It was everywhere, so I had my son start the tractor whilst I looked. It was coming out of the filter mating surface. I was reading up on the tractor when I noticed that the first service was at 50 Hours. I was at 68 hours and thus decided it best to complete the changes. I replaced the fluids, filter and cleaned the screen and magnet. I ensured the filter was as tight as I could get it with my hands and then put a small snugging with the filter wrench. Started the tractor and within seconds was shooting oil past the new filter. I then put a drip pan under the filter, jacked the tractor up from the left side, and pulled the new filter. It had lifted gasket at one spot and pushed it out so that the oil had a path to exit. I checked the gaskets closely, the mating surface on the tractor and reinstalled everything. Tried again with the same results and at 100 dollars in service materials, I am not interested in shooting new oil into my yard.

Does this oil filter need extra torque to seal? Is there anything within the tranny that could be causing a over psi situation? I did not hear any grinding, the housing or oil were not hot to touch and I didn't smell anything over heating. I am at a loss as to why an filter with 6o hours or so would just all of a sudden blow by. It was lose enough for me to remove with just my hands but the new filter was torqued with a filter wrench and it did it as well. Please let me know if this has come up with others or if I just need to try some more umph on that filter.
Please respond to jwitt's1026R new thread here. It's always best to have only one conversation going per issue/topic, not two or more of the same thing in different threads. It get very confusing pretty quickly otherwise.:drinks:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts