Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Moving (empty) bee hives to the shed my 1026R stuttered and suffered a loss of power going up a steep road. I was able to finish the first load without problem after getting it up the hill but for each of the three loads it almost stalled going up hill. Lo/High gear did not matter. It took a bit to normal out and seemed to run without problem after each time and in the end ran (a mile) out to the mail box and back. It's drizzling but after each time the tractor got back to normal but continued to have problems when going up the steep driveway.

Bad Fuel? Why just uphill?

If you coud please, a few pointers on what to look at. Filters are due to be changed come spring.

·
Premium Member
14,887 Posts
Yep you need to change the baby filter under the floor board.

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,269 Posts
Yep, filter under the left foot. Going up hill makes the dirt in it change location in the filter and restricts it some. The only filter I change on a set time frame is the one on the engine side and then only if it's still clean. I keep an eye on both and change when needed, no set time frame. You never know when you get bad fuel.

Reactions: Drifterbike

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's this little guy? John Deere AM116304 FUEL FILTER

I remember replacing that. Not too bad if you clamp the wire and don't hose yourself with fuel.

Thanks.

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,269 Posts
I change mine quite often so I bought 12 or so off eBay for what you buy 2 for at JD or any parts store.

Reactions: Drifterbike

·
Registered
23,040 Posts
Yep, filter under the left foot. Going up hill makes the dirt in it change location in the filter and restricts it some. The only filter I change on a set time frame is the one on the engine side and then only if it's still clean. I keep an eye on both and change when needed, no set time frame. You never know when you get bad fuel.
Also to add - when going up a hill the engine is asking for more fuel. If the filter is restricted the fuel won't flow enough - hence the loss of power.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
If the throttle stays consistent, how is the engine requiring more fuel? :unknown:
Engines burn more fuel under load than free running.

Think full throttle just driving down the road vs. full throttle mowing heavy brush or blowing snow.

·
Registered
23,040 Posts
If the throttle stays consistent, how is the engine requiring more fuel? :unknown:
Engines burn more fuel under load than free running.

Think full throttle just driving down the road vs. full throttle mowing heavy brush or blowing snow.
The engine has a govenor which does its best to maintain RPM. So 1500 RPM with no load will use less fuel than 1500 RPM under full load. This all happens while the throttle position stays the same.

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
Ahh the throttle stays firm, but the governor request more. On top of that, fuel in the tank does not have as much pressure out when pointed up hill. Tank on the low side at that point. Steeper the grade the bigger the effect.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Reactions: Levi
1 - 13 of 13 Posts