Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been playing in the woods, and noticed the next day I had an issue where the MFWD shaft goes into the front axle:

20180926_125331.jpg

I just wanted to run it by anyone else on here who might know better, but it looks like I just mangled my snap ring? The rubber boot (not shown) was completely ripped up. I'm sure I got a sapling/stick jammed up in there and ruined it. It must have caught on the snap ring and bent it up? The snap ring just holds the spring pin in so it doesn't come out right?

Capture.PNG

Also, did I read before that I should grease those splines up on both ends since I will be removing the shaft to get a new boot on?

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
I believe your conclusions are correct. Yes, I would grease the splines or better yet, coat them with anti-seize. In a few years, you'll thank yourself if you have to disassemble it.

·
Super Moderator
2,260 Posts
The tech manual does state the snap ring secures the spring pin, and to ensure it covers both ends of the pin. If you put it back in the groove and it holds tight, you'll probably be ok to keep running it. If it's loose and sloppy, I'd get a new one.

View attachment 650390

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, it seems to not just be knocked off, but has been stretched open, so ruined surely.

Random question for whoever may read this... for my backhoe sitting all winter inside my shed, is coating exposed cylinder rods something that should be done to prevent them from pitting, or is that overkill? Just some lithium grease smeared all over the rods?

·
Super Moderator
2,260 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,278 Posts
Yeah, it seems to not just be knocked off, but has been stretched open, so ruined surely.

Random question for whoever may read this... for my backhoe sitting all winter inside my shed, is coating exposed cylinder rods something that should be done to prevent them from pitting, or is that overkill? Just some lithium grease smeared all over the rods?
If the backhoe is stored inside your shed and your shed is providing a dry storage location I really don't think you need to worry about it. I store my loader and hydraulic top link inside my shed over winter and have never had any issues.

Now, if you were storing it somewhere that was exposed to the weather then perhaps it wouldn't hurt to apply some protection.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts