Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to start my tractor today and the dash lights started flickering erratically and a lot of buzzing/clicking coming from behind the dash area. I put the battery on charge and tried to start it to see if the battery was weak, but it was fine and it still wouldn't start, dash lights were still flickering/flashing with all of the buzzing and clicking behind it.

It has never given me any problems since I've owned it, nor did it do anything different when I put it up last week from mowing.

Any ideas on what to look for and where at?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
If you have a meter hook it up and check the voltage when you try to engage the starter.

Your symptoms indicate a failed battery.

Had the same thing happen a month or so ago.

Even hooking up a jump from a good known battery is not always successful in getting the tractor to start.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We have a battery load tester at work, ill take my battery with me tomorrow and check it.
Thanks

·
Registered
23,053 Posts
We have a battery load tester at work, ill take my battery with me tomorrow and check it.
Thanks
That's the best way to start the diagnosis. My money is on it tests bad. When Deere batteries go they exhibit all kinds of weird behavior - and also just die suddenly.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's a 2013 model with the original battery still. What is the average longevity of a factory battery for them?

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
My money's on the battery also. Mine is a 2014 and it died last year at a little over 2 years old. It actually died while the engine was running, something I've never had happen with anything before. It started up and ran fine just a short time before, but then when I hit the MMM lift switch all the dash lights flashed and even the engine died. Putting a tester on it it still had voltage but almost no current.

·
Premium Member
14,898 Posts
Dead battery.

·
Administrator
18,298 Posts
Another bad battery vote...

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
My bet is on a bad battery. I have a different series but my tractor did the same things when my battery died. I had used the tractor all day with multiple starts without any issues at all. Stopped to eat, shut the tractor off, and 30 mins later the tractor clicked, lights flashed, and gauges flopped around like crazy. I was told the battery was bad but I didn't want to believe it, just didn't seem right. The battery never once showed signs of getting weak. Nothing runs like a Deere until their batteries die. When they die, they freaking die all at once and with little/no warning.

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
Did you try cleaning the terminals? Clean both the battery terminals and the connecting blocks.

Reactions: keane and BigJim55

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Tractor clicked, lights flashed, and gauges flopped around like crazy. I was told the battery was bad but I didn't want to believe it, just didn't seem right. The battery never once showed signs of getting weak.
Bingo!

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
It's a 2013 model with the original battery still. What is the average longevity of a factory battery for them?
If I'm remembering correctly my battery was right around 3 years old when it went into retirement

·
Registered
275 Posts
Bad Battery. Had this happen on a new vehicle, only 4 days old. Everything was fine, run into the store, come out and try and start the car. Dash lights blinking weirdly, the door chime sounded like a sick horse fly, and click, click, click. Car would not even jump start. Massive internal short within the battery. Put a new battery in it and all was well.

·
Registered
23,053 Posts
Bad Battery. Had this happen on a new vehicle, only 4 days old. Everything was fine, run into the store, come out and try and start the car. Dash lights blinking weirdly, the door chime sounded like a sick horse fly, and click, click, click. Car would not even jump start. Massive internal short within the battery. Put a new battery in it and all was well.
I had this with my truck also - but at around 6 years old. It started fine even in the winter. But - the NAV unit (9" screen with GPS and controls the climate control, stereo, etc.) started doing some funky stuff here and there. Right away I thought of our tractor batteries and what they do when they start to go. Went right to the dealer and had a new one installed.

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,269 Posts
Guess I should prepare myself for this to happen. Still have the original battery and works great. Bought my tractor in the spring of 2013. 4½ years...not bad. :bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
13,648 Posts
I had this with my truck also - but at around 6 years old. It started fine even in the winter. But - the NAV unit (9" screen with GPS and controls the climate control, stereo, etc.) started doing some funky stuff here and there. Right away I thought of our tractor batteries and what they do when they start to go. Went right to the dealer and had a new one installed.
Just replaced the battery in my wife's Ford Edge a couple of months ago, weird things start happening with these new vehicle. First she was having bluetooth connectivity issues, never gave it a thought as far as battery goes, then some issues with her remote start/keyless entry. Then one day it wouldn't start, she is smart though, and she used the power pack I bought for her. It was going in for service two days later so I asked her to have them check the battery, the service guy said " don't really need to after hearing the list of strange happenings, these are classic symptoms of a battery dying" but they did anyway and sure enough it was shot.

·
Registered
4,480 Posts
Guess I should prepare myself for this to happen. Still have the original battery and works great. Bought my tractor in the spring of 2013. 4½ years...not bad. :bigthumb:
Yep, me too, 5 1/2 years on my tractor, but I don't use it as much as I'd like. Still going strong :hornets:

Now my Chevy Volt, 17 months and needed a new battery, and that battery doesn't even have to crank the engine. :dunno:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts