Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read thru every starting related thread I could find on here, but I'm still scratching my head on figuring out the problem with my no start issue. I was digging a trench and didn't get it all the way into Neutral position before getting up off the seat and it died. When I went to start it, it just clicked and the dash lights were freaking out. I was able to jump start it, so I figured it was a case of sudden battery failure that I see discussed on here. Got a new battery, started right up. Used it a few more times with no problem. Parked it and went out the next day, dash lights, work lights, everything completely functional, but when I went from RUN position on ignition to START.... nothing. No click, just nothing. Just to rule out maybe the alternator not charging the new battery, I tested it at 12.89 volts, and then just to make sure attempted to jump with my truck, same behavior... nothing. So I don't think it was a battery issue. I had a spare relay in the garage, so I pulled the K02 starter relay and put it a new one... boom, started right up! I thought I was out of the woods, but I moved it from there to the garage after I started it, went in for a bit, came back out to do some work and once again... nothing. I'm guessing it was just a coincidence that it started after I replaced the relay. I spent some time under it looking for anything unplugged/loose in the wiring and everything looks good to me. Wondering... has anyone else has experienced this? My dealer is backed up for weeks so I'm hoping to figure this one out.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Other guys have had the plug / leads to the starter itself loosen up which caused a similar behavior, did you check to make sure those were all good and tight and fully seated on the starter?

A connection that sometimes makes contact can drive ya nuts...

·
Registered
22,752 Posts
I would next be looking for a ground issue. Check where the battery ground wire termimates and take a good look and try to wiggle it. There are likely other grounds also - maybe someone with a service manual can help you locate them.

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,266 Posts
When you replaced the relay did it have any rust anywhere around it and where it plugs in? Maybe the ignition switch has rust or loose connection? :dunno:

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
could be an electrical issue re: the contacts and circuit that pulls the starter gear in, solenoid. I have actually whacked them with a brass hammer in a pickle and its pulled in. When the solenoid contacts get oxidized and carbon build up, they become resistive and prevent enough current flow for a strong enough magnetic field to pull in. Just a thought.

·
Premium Member
10,067 Posts
Just to rule out maybe the alternator not charging the new battery, I tested it at 12.89 volts, and then just to make sure attempted to jump with my truck, same behavior...

What did you measure with 12.89 volts? If that's the battery voltage at rest, check the voltage under a load like trying to start the tractor and see what it drops to. If your alternator output was only 12.89, it's very low. You should see around 14 volts from a properly functioning alternator.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Another thing to look for is any wiring that may be rubbing / chaffing and wore through the insulation and is now shorting out on the metal frame of the tractor (short to ground). Good luck.

·
Premium Member
2,133 Posts
What did you measure with 12.89 volts? If that's the battery voltage at rest, check the voltage under a load like trying to start the tractor and see what it drops to. If your alternator output was only 12.89, it's very low. You should see around 14 volts from a properly functioning alternator.
Agreed!!!!!:good2:

·
Premium Member
14,747 Posts
For me the other day when my wouldn't start , seems I found the pto switch was causing the problem.
Had good lights, but putting tractor in N nothing.
After disconnecting and shorting the N switch top of transmission , thinking R Y wires still nothing.

Then checked the PTO switch has RIO found if I put turned on PTO and had tractor in L .. dash would show turn off PTO.

Pushed in the PTO switch , then dash showed Put in Netural.. did that and tractor started..

Ok must be a bad PTO switch shop foreman advised me to check wiring on bottom of switch.

While checking the wiring found I had jumpered the RIO part of the switch. Pulled the jumper wire out . Has started at least 10 times :dunno:

May not be close to your problem ..:dunno:but the way all the safety switches are tied together to keep these thing from starting or stopping.

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
Could be a bad ignition switch. Not on this one but had that happen once. Make direct contact across the correct posts to find out.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Guys! I'm gonna go out and go over everything again. I haven't been able to test the battery started yet. The 12.89 was just sitting. I'll let you know if I have any luck. This intermittent stuff can drive you nuts!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts