Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The ambient here is 30 degrees F. I haven't been able to work my tractor very hard at all since I've owned it, due to being new and no grass to cut. What are other new owners seeing for a reading on the temperature gauge?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Canadian Operating Temp Experience

Here in Nova Scotia the ambient temps are cooler at this time of year (Avg 5-10 Deg C) and I work my tractor fairly hard with grading & moving fill/gravel etc. My experience is that the tractor warms up within 5 minutes and maintains a relatively steady temperature of about 20% of full scale deflection ( just a little warmer that that shown on your picture). I'm cool with that!

·
Administrator
20,970 Posts
My experience has shown the same. About 20% of scale, indicating a little warmer than your picture.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I should have mentioned that the gauge reading as pictured was directly after .5hrs run time @ 2500 rpm clearing 3" snow from my driveway with FEL. I popped the hood and put my hand on the rocker cover, I would estimate about 100 degrees F. It just seems a little too cold to me.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Same here! Have yet to see anything much higher on either of mine even on some of the last quite warm days!

·
Administrator
20,970 Posts
I just put another hour on mine in about 40 degree weather and again the temp gauge was the same. It would be nice if the gauge had graduated numbers instead of just a green and red range.

Attachments

·
Administrator
18,471 Posts
DS, is this your first diesel engine? If so its normal for diesel's to run cooler than you think they should unless you are really working them-and I am sure your not working it hard. Think of all the big trucks that cover the grill's in the winter to help keep the temps up.

·
Corndog Hater
11,793 Posts
My temp readings are consistent with the others here. :thumbup1gif:

·
Administrator
20,970 Posts
I own several diesels. Worked on many and love them all! My favorite is a Cummins B5.9. It does the quarter mile in 12 seconds flat weighing in at 7500lbs. Approx 550-600 hp, 1000-1200 ft lbs, but never been dynoed just calculated estimates.:good2:

I was thinking this gauge reading is the normal operating temp for this model tractor. I don't know what the scale is because there is no numbers. I guess the engineers assume that the owner can only interpret "green means good, red means hot/bad".:unknown:

·
Registered
115 Posts
I just checked on JDparts, looks like the standard thermostat is a 160 degree. JPparts also lists an optional 180 degree.

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
It would be nice if the gauge had graduated numbers instead of just a green and red range.
Whoa there DS, you need to consider yourself lucky. Us 2210, 2305 and the rest of the 2000 series owners just get the light, no gauge at all. Though, I have not convinced my self to add the gauges just yet. And yes, I agree some graduations on the gauge would help.

Just wondering, the machine is running OK isn't it? I mean, do you have a reason for concern?:unknown: Do you think the thermostat is stuck open?

·
Administrator
20,970 Posts
I don't think there's anything wrong with it. I can't speak for Xskier though.

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
I don't think there's anything wrong with it. I can't speak for Xskier though.
Yeah Xskier, what say you? Does ye have other reasons of concern?

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I am concerned that my R is running too cold. I work on freshwater marine engines, when one of those thermostats is stuck open the engine will run @ 80 degrees wot. With the block that cold, under load the pistons take heat and swell up in the bore. The block just cant expand to where it wants to be at normal operating temp Loading an engine hard with a cold block can be likened to a "cold seizure" Piston and cylinder damage are shortly followed.

I'll do a full report for you guys tomorrow afternoon.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well I couldn't wait any longer. When I walked out side this morning there was an inch of snow/slush on the drive that needed attention. Hey, at least I got .4 hrs more seat time! Here are the results:

Temp at start-up

Temp after 15 min. of brisk light FEL work at 2500 rpm. The temp gauge on the dash reads the same 1/8" right of cold as the initial post.

Perhaps in a few months when the temp gets warmer, and I can work it harder we'll see increased temps. For now my concerns are put to rest.

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
Glad everything is OK.

Thanks for the update. Glad you didn't have to pull the thermostat and check it. Ya know that gauge is just a rough indicator, not a high accuracy instrument. Wouldn't mind one on my machines.

·
Banned
747 Posts
Yo! Another bluenoser, where you located? I'm on the South Shore, in Chester Grant...

Here in Nova Scotia the ambient temps are cooler at this time of year (Avg 5-10 Deg C) and I work my tractor fairly hard with grading & moving fill/gravel etc. My experience is that the tractor warms up within 5 minutes and maintains a relatively steady temperature of about 20% of full scale deflection ( just a little warmer that that shown on your picture). I'm cool with that!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts