Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed now that it is getting colder that the battery appears to be going on me and i would rather buy a new one before it doesn't start when i need to move snow. Does anyone have the size of the battery? I do not have quick access to a dealer and would like to look into something from the parts store if i could.

Any other tips or tricks would be appreciated.

Thanks
Andrew

·
Registered
4,306 Posts
Battery
CartkeyPART NO.PART NAMEQTY SERIAL NO.REMARKS
1LVA15831Battery Cable1
Negative
219M7785Bolt2
3T13814Clamp1
414M7517Lock Nut2-210000M10
14M7296Flange Nut2210001-M10
5MIA10189Ground Cable1
614M7273Nut1
M8
7T76252Clamp1
8LVU23375Boot Kit1
9R105388Tie Band1
10LVA20627Battery Cable1
SUB FOR LVA15830; Positive
11AR68071Tie-Down Strap1
12TY26498Dry Charged Battery1
SUB FOR LVA15187
13LVA15506Hose1

·
Premium Member
12,769 Posts
Battery
1LVA15831Battery Cable1Negative
219M7785Bolt2
3T13814Clamp1
414M7517Lock Nut2-210000M10
14M7296Flange Nut2210001-M10
5MIA10189Ground Cable1
614M7273Nut1M8
7T76252Clamp1
8LVU23375Boot Kit1
9R105388Tie Band1
10LVA20627Battery Cable1SUB FOR LVA15830; Positive
11AR68071Tie-Down Strap1
12TY26498Dry Charged Battery1SUB FOR LVA15187
13LVA15506Hose1
You will want the wet charged battery TY26498A

Part Number:
TY26498A
Part Price:68.77 USD
Core Value:(18.00 USD)
End Price With Core Return:50.77 USD
Description: Wet Charged Battery - BATTERY,WET,12V,BCI 22NF,CCA 500

Reactions: PJR832 and BigJim55

·
Registered
223 Posts
You will want the wet charged battery TY26498A

Part Number:
TY26498A
Part Price:68.77 USD
Core Value:(18.00 USD)
End Price With Core Return:50.77 USD
Can you please provide the source of that pricing?

·
Premium Member
12,769 Posts
Can you please provide the source of that pricing?
I went into JD Parts and looked up that part number. When you register at JD Parts you select a default dealer. It will then show THAT dealer's pricing any time you look up a part number.

That is Valley Ag & Turf in PA.

Still shows the same price today.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I went into JD Parts and looked up that part number. When you register at JD Parts you select a default dealer. It will then show THAT dealer's pricing any time you look up a part number.

That is Valley Ag & Turf in PA.

Still shows the same price today.
Cool! That's good to know for any part, thanks.

That is also a very good price.

·
Premium Member
12,769 Posts
I just called a local JD dealer. For a group 51 which fits most subcompacts, ...... $141.83 I didn't believe they would be under $100.00
What part number did you ask about? The 1-series battery comes as both dry-charged and wet-charged. As you can see you pay a lot more for a dry-charged battery. My dealer does not even stock the dry-charged battery. When I bought a replacement for my 2720 I purchased the wet-charged battery.

Also, the 1-series battery size is 22NF, which is listed as right-hand positive terminals. The listings I've seen shows a Group-51 as left-hand positive terminals.

$74.29 after core return isn't a bad deal.

Part Number:
TY26498
Part Price: 139.28 USD
Core Value: (18.00 USD)
End Price With Core Return: 121.28 USD
On Hand:
0 Check Other Stores
Description: Dry Charged Battery - BATTERY,DRY,12V,BCI 22NF,CCA 500
Package Quantity:

Part Number:
TY26498A
Part Price: 92.29 USD
End Price With Core Return: 74.29 USD
On Hand:
4 (Supplier Direct - Contact your dealer for availaibility) Check Other Stores
Package Quantity:

Reactions: keane and PJR832

·
Registered
307 Posts
Just remember a low bid battery with no grunt is going to be replaced next year, with a better battery with more grunt. You may be better off getting the best battery that will fit in the space. That way you won't have to replace it next year. The worst thing you can do with a battery is to not keep it fully charged. In other words if you let your battery go dead it won't last as long as a battery that gets charged up often.

Just like those cheesy little garden tractor batteries everyone sells. You may get a year out of one, (plus they're inexpensive) but you'll be swearing every time you have jump it with another battery.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
:wgtt:
Just remember a low bid battery with no grunt is going to be replaced next year, with a better battery with more grunt. You may be better off getting the best battery that will fit in the space. That way you won't have to replace it next year. The worst thing you can do with a battery is to not keep it fully charged. In other words if you let your battery go dead it won't last as long as a battery that gets charged up often.

Just like those cheesy little garden tractor batteries everyone sells. You may get a year out of one, (plus they're inexpensive) but you'll be swearing every time you have jump it with another battery.
I have read many posts on here about jumping dead batteries and causing damage to a tractor's electrical system. So much so that I will never do it again. Probably due to some kind of voltage spike.
Low or not enough cranking voltage is also not good. Especially with computer system black boxes.

Plus it's no fun ending up dead in the water at worst possible time.

·
Premium Member
12,769 Posts
I have read many posts on here about jumping dead batteries and causing damage to a tractor's electrical system. So much so that I will never do it again. Probably due to some kind of voltage spike.
You can eliminate those types of issues by using a jump box.

JNC660.jpg

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
What part number did you ask about? The 1-series battery comes as both dry-charged and wet-charged. As you can see you pay a lot more for a dry-charged battery. My dealer does not even stock the dry-charged battery. When I bought a replacement for my 2720 I purchased the wet-charged battery.

Also, the 1-series battery size is 22NF, which is listed as right-hand positive terminals. The listings I've seen shows a Group-51 as left-hand positive terminals.

$74.29 after core return isn't a bad deal.

Part Number:
TY26498
Part Price: 139.28 USD
End Price With Core Return: 121.28 USD
On Hand:
0 Check Other Stores
Description: Dry Charged Battery - BATTERY,DRY,12V,BCI 22NF,CCA 500
Package Quantity:

Part Number:
TY26498A
Part Price: 92.29 USD
End Price With Core Return: 74.29 USD
On Hand:
4 (Supplier Direct - Contact your dealer for availaibility) Check Other Stores
Package Quantity:
I'm going to speculate the dealer that quoted the "Strong Box", JD's trademark replacement battery line, was the $140.00 battery. The $74.00 battery is the OEM battery JD installs in a 1-Series at the plant. It doesn't have the fancy marketing labels affixed to it and tends to look plain. However, appearance has nothing to do with the quality of the battery. Historically, I've always had very good performance and exceptional longevity from OEM batteries. Usually, it is the other way around in price, whereas the OEM battery has a crazy price or you can only obtain it "dry".

I was also surprised that JD Parts was offering a "wet" battery and even more so that it was less money than the "dry". A "wet" battery comes filled with acid whereas a "dry" battery does not and typically does not include any acid. This is due to the shipping expense. A "wet" battery, due to the acid, is a hazardous cargo and the shipping cost goes through the roof. As JD operates their own fleet of trucks to deliver parts to their dealers, this is a non-issue for them. Also, as they are buying a heck of a lot more "wet" batteries for the production line, they are buying them at a better price than a "dry" battery, even though they are filled with acid.

Up until the last couple of years, I always bought "dry" batteries for the motorcycles and personal watercraft (aka: jet ski). Most of the local battery retailers, including Interstate Batteries, only carried these batteries that were made in China and along with that came the dismissal quality and short lifespan. I was buying Yuasa batteries, which are made in the USA and were the best on the market, in my opinion. I'd have to order these and have the batteries shipped in, which meant the only way I could obtain them was dry. I buy acid, in bulk, from an auto parts store (O'Reilly's the last time) pretty reasonably, so this wasn't a big issue.

Actually, I preferred it that way. I'd order several dry batteries at once to obtain a better price and save on shipping. When they're dry, shelf life is not an issue. However, once they're wet, it is an issue. Most batteries, and especially lead-acid batteries (aka: wet battery), self discharge with time. If left in a discharged state, the battery plates will sulfide, and the battery will no longer hold or accept a charge, becoming junk. While periodically charging them while in storage definitely extends the storage life and reduces sulfication, it does not stop it.

Reactions: PJR832

·
Registered
307 Posts
:wgtt:

Low or not enough cranking voltage is also not good. Especially with computer system black boxes.

Plus it's no fun ending up dead in the water at worst possible time.
How do you start a tractor with a dead battery? Just curious.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
I've never had an issue with anything I've jump started. I make sure the ignition is off and, of course, observe polarity.

I can remember back in the days when cars didn't start when it was cold. The towing companies would be out in force doing jump starts. I can remember how a few of them would check polarity. They'd just bump the cables on the posts and if it made a big arc, they had the polarity backwards and would reverse it! Back then, if the ignition was on and the radio was on, it would cause all the magic smoke to escape the radio. In today's world where it takes a microprocessor to do anything, such a practice would be catastrophic.

·
Premium Member
12,769 Posts
I'm going to speculate the dealer that quoted the "Strong Box", JD's trademark replacement battery line, was the $140.00 battery. The $74.00 battery is the OEM battery JD installs in a 1-Series at the plant. It doesn't have the fancy marketing labels affixed to it and tends to look plain.
Actually, if you look at the JD battery specification document that coaltrain posted earlier in the thread, the TY26498A battery for $74 is a StrongBox battery. The dry-charged TY26498 for $140 is listed as a StrongBox as well.

I've never seen anything but a StrongBox battery from the dealer. I bought replacement batteries for my X500 and 2720 and they were both StrongBox.

Reactions: DRobinson

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Test/Check the battery voltage. Then try to charge it if possible. Always good to unhook the negative cable.
If the battery won't hold a charge replace it with a new one.

If the tractor is sitting in the yard when it decides to not start. Tow/push it back to the tools. After disengaging the hydro transmission of course.

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
I've never had an issue with anything I've jump started. I make sure the ignition is off and, of course, observe polarity.
I agree with this.

When the battery in my 1025r died I jumped it with this and was able to drive it to the shop with it still connected. The old battery died completely and wouldn't even keep it running after jumping it. I keep one of these in my truck.

SAM_0216.jpg

1 - 20 of 21 Posts