Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 193 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,

I have to confess, I screwed up big time today. I had just dumped a very small load of dirt at a disposal site on the side of my bluff and then, suddenly the tractor did a slow-motion roll. The pictures show the result and the recovery process.

Things I did wrong:
1. I raised my bucket about 3' high while dumping the small load and that was just enough to start the roll.
2. I failed to foresee and avoid the situation prior to attempting the maneuver.
3. I failed to drop the bucket as the roll over began.

Things I did right:
1. I had the ROPS up and my seat belt on.
2. I was driving extremely slow across the bluff with full ballast and the bucket low (no loss of stability at that point).
3. I had lowered the ballast box until is was just 6" above the grass.
4. I was in 4 wheel drive, low range with no more than 2,000 RPMs.
5. I was stopped at the moment of roll over.
6. I stayed inside the safety zone and kept my arms inside as well during the roll over event.

Things the tractor did wrong:
1. It rolled over very quickly leaving little time to react to even drop the bucket.
2. It dumped a couple of the rocks out of the ballast box and they rolled down the hill. (See picture #3)
3. The battery became slightly dislodged.

Things the tractor did right:
1. It protected me (I didn't even have a bruise).
2. It killed the engine.
3. It stopped as soon as it was on its side - no other motion in any direction.
4. It only leaked perhaps 8 oz of hydraulic fluid, no diesel fuel and no oil.
5. It restarted a few hours later and now runs fine.

Attachments

·
Administrator
17,266 Posts
Guys,

I have to confess, I screwed up big time today. I had just dumped a very small load of dirt at a disposal site on the side of my bluff and then, suddenly the tractor did a slow-motion roll. The pictures show the result and the recovery process.

Things I did wrong:
1. I raised my bucket about 3' high while dumping the small load and that was just enough to start the roll.
2. I failed to foresee and avoid the situation prior to attempting the maneuver.
3. I failed to drop the bucket as the roll over began.

Things I did right:
1. I had the ROPS up and my seat belt on.
2. I was driving extremely slow across the bluff with full ballast and the bucket low (no loss of stability at that point).
3. I had lowered the ballast box until is was just 6" above the grass.
4. I was in 4 wheel drive, low range with no more than 2,000 RPMs.
5. I was stopped at the moment of roll over.
6. I stayed inside the safety zone and kept my arms inside as well during the roll over event.

Things the tractor did wrong:
1. It rolled over very quickly leaving little time to react to even drop the bucket.
2. It dumped a couple of the rocks out of the ballast box and they rolled down the hill. (See picture #3)
3. The battery became slightly dislodged.

Things the tractor did right:
1. It protected me (I didn't even have a bruise).
2. It killed the engine.
3. It stopped as soon as it was on its side - no other motion in any direction.
4. It only leaked perhaps 8 oz of hydraulic fluid, no diesel fuel and no oil.
5. It restarted a few hours later and now runs fine.
WOW, I am glad your OK! That take real guts to post, but we all can learn from it. I think it needs to be a post by itself as well?

·
Registered
716 Posts
wow, at least you were not hurt. looks like you have a beautiful place

·
Registered
913 Posts
Oh my!?!

Thanks for the reminder and very glad to hear you are ok.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,056 Posts
Adamski,
Happy you're alright but sorry to see your misfortune.
Very commendable posting this up, you're a true asset to the forum. Thank you for that.
Now, You could help out others if this was a new thread and labeled something to catch everyone's attention. Maybe you could ask the administrators to provide that service for you. I am CERTAIN other members would appreciate it especially how well you put the post together.

Thanks again,

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,056 Posts
I guess Kennyd is faster than I am. I type slow. Come to think of it I do a lot of things slow anymore.

·
Premium Member
792 Posts
Wow, glad to see you're okay! Thanks for sharing, it helps us all learn and please do post this is a new thread so everyone can be reminded.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Larry . . . thanks for postng. Glad you're ok. Looks like the tractor survived with maybe only a couple scratches.

BTW . . . beautiful place you have there. :thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
234 Posts
Guys,

I have to confess, I screwed up big time today. I had just dumped a very small load of dirt at a disposal site on the side of my bluff and then, suddenly the tractor did a slow-motion roll.
Good to hear that you are OK and the ROP bar and seat belt helped save the day from being a major disaster.

Did it roll after you dumped the load of dirt? That seems strange. Dumping the dirt should have lowered the center of gravity of the FEL and load.
Do you have ballasted wheels?
Did the ballast box disconnect during the roll?

That is one hell'uva incline you have. Beautiful location!

·
Registered
11,383 Posts
Happy to hear that you are OK, Larry. I think the most important lesson of your experience is that you had the Roll-Gard up and the seat belt on, which saved you from injury and damage to your tractor. Also, I don't know if I would have the guts to post that if it happened to me. But, many tractor people read this forum and they can learn a lot from your experience. Thanks for the post.

Don

·
Registered
145 Posts
Wow! Glad you're Ok and thanks for posting. There's a lot for us to learn from your experience.

From the pictures it seems as if you were sideways on the slope when you were dumping the load? How steep was the grade of the slope?

·
Super Moderator
5,484 Posts
Larry,I thank you too for posting. That took guts showing a major ""OH NO"" for everyone to see:good2:.

You were indeed lucky to have such a positive outcome from that mishap. I also think you will become a better operator. Those types of events have a way of teaching us very valuable lessons.

Greg

·
Registered
714 Posts
Very glad to see you walk away. It's thing like this that keep me awake sometime.

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
Glad you're OK.
I hope I didn't miss it, but do you recall any other warning signs just before it started over? That experience must have been scary!

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks Everyone For Your Concern And Well-wishes

Guys,

Wow, I went out to cut the grass (including the dreaded bluff) and then came back in to see all these responses to my post. Thanks for all the support and well-wishes. It scared my wife when she heard a "thud" and looked out the window to see the tractor on its side. She thought I was trapped under it but, actually, I was trapped by my seat belt. I couldn't seem to depress the button to release it. I can't say enough for how the seat belt and ROPS saved the day.

My bluff, in that area, is about a 30 degree incline and can only be approached from the side or the top (above a stone wall) ... not from below due to large trees. I knew I had to be extra careful in that area and that's why I was driving extremely slow and had the bucket maybe a foot off the ground. I had no stability issue until right after I dumped the bucket from about a 3' height. I felt it start to go over and before I could react, it was on its side.

Damages: 1 driver's pride - slightly bruised; 1 taillight - broken; 1 metal rim piece along the side of the sun shield - broken.

Ballast: The tractor has the rear tires loaded with Rimguard. Since I had recently removed a tire for service, I can estimate that it weighed around 100 lbs. I also had the Imatch with a ballast box that had 8" rocks and a 20' heavy chain. The ballast box (empty) must weigh 75 lbs or more. No, the ballast box did not release from the tractor due to the roll over. I removed it after the fact.

Kenny, If you guys think this post would work better as a new thread, you have my permission to do that.

Guys, You know what the definition of a real tractor is? It's a tractor that requires a tow truck to right it once it tips over. The 1026/1023 are definitely NOT lawnmowers or lawn tractors or garden tractors. That tow truck driver was real experienced, by the way. He even rigged a pulley to a tree to pull my tractor up the slope while using a second cable to keep it upright on its wheels. The ballast box was removed at this point so the tractor was less stable.

This whole event is just too big to NOT post about it. Ignoring it is like ignoring a rover landing on Mars. I hope I never have an experience like this again though. Once Kenny sets this up on its own thread, I'll post 4 more pictures of the aftermath and recovery.

·
Administrator
17,266 Posts
Kenny, If you guys think this post would work better as a new thread, you have my permission to do that.
Done.

I made up the title, it can be changed to something else if you want.

Thanks again Larry.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,056 Posts
Done.

I made up the title, it can be changed to something else if you want.

Thanks again Larry.
I think very appropriate thanks and thank you Larry.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Guys,

Okay, here's 2 more pictures. I'll have to move some more pictures into my JD file to show you more. I'll do that tomorrow.

Someone asked what indicated that the tractor was about to roll over. In this case, the first indicator was seeing the bucket moving to the left (down slope) when it should have not been moving at all. Sorry I cannot offer more insight.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,884 Posts
Scary stuff man. :empathy: Cutting my neighbour's field had me puckered up a few times and these pics just reinforce the need to be so carefull. So glad you are ok, bruised pride heals quickly.

1 - 20 of 193 Posts