Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm cutting grass yesterday and happen to look down at the instrument panel at the very moment the RPM needle fell off and got stuck at the bottom of the cluster! What the heck is that all about? I called the dealer and they will ship out a new cluster no questions asked but they say they cannot program it to the actual hours my machine has. Although it's only got 31 hours it would be nice to keep the hour meter genuine to the tractor. Does anyone know if the hour meter can be programmed? Has anyone else had this weird issue with the needle?

·
Registered
146 Posts
My needle hasn't fallen off, but one time around the 10hr. mark, I started the tractor and the needle stuck @ 1500 and didn't move when the throttle stick was pushed. I turned the tractor off, restarted, and everything has been fine since...Knock-On-Wood!:thumbup1gif:

·
Premium Member
792 Posts
So I'm cutting grass yesterday and happen to look down at the instrument panel at the very moment the RPM needle fell off and got stuck at the bottom of the cluster! What the heck is that all about? I called the dealer and they will ship out a new cluster no questions asked but they say they cannot program it to the actual hours my machine has. Although it's only got 31 hours it would be nice to keep the hour meter genuine to the tractor. Does anyone know if the hour meter can be programmed? Has anyone else had this weird issue with the needle?
That's weird! They couldn't just put the needle back on some way? Would have to hot wire it and let it run for the exact amount of hours unless there's some shortcut I don't know about. Hopefully these 1026r bugs start getting ironed out!

·
Premium Member
10,200 Posts
Would have to hot wire it and let it run for the exact amount of hours unless there's some shortcut I don't know about. Hopefully these 1026r bugs start getting ironed out!
I've done that on some basic hourmeters that had to be replaced. Just hooked it up to a battery and let it run. I think I read that the 1026R only reads hours at PTO speed, though. That would be a bit more difficult to wire up, to say the least.

·
Administrator
22,258 Posts
I've done that on some basic hourmeters that had to be replaced. Just hooked it up to a battery and let it run. I think I read that the 1026R only reads hours at PTO speed, though. That would be a bit more difficult to wire up, to say the least.
The 1 series tractors hour meter runs off of actual engine "on" time, not PTO rpm biased.:thumbup1gif:

·
Premium Member
10,200 Posts
The 1 series tractors hour meter runs off of actual engine "on" time, not PTO rpm biased.:thumbup1gif:
I stand corrected, then. Cool! In that case, maybe you could just put power to the hourmeter circuit of the display and let it run until it was right. Just watch it, you don't want to go over. :lol:

·
Premium Member
589 Posts
JD had to replace my instrument cluster some time ago . . . water condensed inside and it was impossible to read the hourmeter through the condensation. Hourmeter showed 17.0 hours at the time. JD did nothing to reset the new hourmeter . I used a black felt tip pen to remind me to add 17 hours to the hourmeter reading for actual run time.

Crude . . . but effective. :good2:

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
When I replace the cluster I may look into hotwiring it on so my actual hours are the same. I will keep you guys posted on this. It will drive me nuts to know the hours are off. What about just leaving the key on with a battery charger connected? Would this keep glow plugs on? I think the glow plugs only come on for a few seconds. I wouldn't want to damage anything.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
When I replace the cluster I may look into hotwiring it on so my actual hours are the same. I will keep you guys posted on this. It will drive me nuts to know the hours are off. What about just leaving the key on with a battery charger connected? Would this keep glow plugs on? I think the glow plugs only come on for a few seconds. I wouldn't want to damage anything.

Several years ago when I had a JD 4400, the dealer had to change the instrument cluster under warranty. When it came back, the it had the correct hours on it. The service manager said they ordered it preprogramed with the correct hours.

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts

When the engine is running the hourglass blinks. That tells me the counter is counting. With just the key on the meter is only in display mode. That's my understanding anyway...

·
Registered
4,949 Posts
Kinda funny, but if we were discussing the family car, putting in a replacement cluster with a lower "odometer" would bring out totally different opinions.:laugh:

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No Martian, they said I could try to put it back on myself but the front clear lens is glued to the cluster. There is no way to remove it to push the needle back on without cracking the lens.
That's weird! They couldn't just put the needle back on some way? Would have to hot wire it and let it run for the exact amount of hours unless there's some shortcut I don't know about. Hopefully these 1026r bugs start getting ironed out!

·
Registered
15,695 Posts
fuelhog:

Is that you with one of my favorite people, the Gunny? His role in Full Metal Jacket was just like every drill sergeant I had at Fort Jackson in 1965. The Gunny is a true American. I would give most anything to meet him.

Don

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes Don, that is "Gunny". I met him at the SEMA show in Las Vegas last year. We talked for about half an hour.
fuelhog:

Is that you with one of my favorite people, the Gunny? His role in Full Metal Jacket was just like every drill sergeant I had at Fort Jackson in 1965. The Gunny is a true American. I would give most anything to meet him.

Don

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I tried to see if I could get the hours on the new cluster to run but could not get it figured out. I could power up the cluster to show the hours but the hourglass would not blink. Not sure what kind of signal the tach input is. So, I guess I will just have to remember I have 31 more hours on the tractor then what shows on the display.

·
Administrator
22,258 Posts
After reading in the tech manual, I think it would be fairly difficult for an end-user to set previous hours on your cluster. It's looking for the engine oil pressure switch to be open and alternator input pulses to "see" the engine running. Unless you can trick the cluster into seeing these pulses, I don't think you could advance your hours.:unknown:

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
After reading in the tech manual, I think it would be fairly difficult for an end-user to set previous hours on your cluster. It's looking for the engine oil pressure switch to be open and alternator input pulses to "see" the engine running. Unless you can trick the cluster into seeing these pulses, I don't think you could advance your hours.:unknown:
Could you take the belt off of the alternator & run it with an electric motor?

·
Administrator
22,258 Posts
You would also have to have the oil pressure switch unplugged (open circuit) and the ignition on. That could work.

·
Registered
109 Posts
If ir was me, I wouldn't mess with it. Just keep track of your previous 31 hours.
If you really want it to be correct though, see your dealer and have it set by them.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Dealer says it cannot be programmed, I can live with it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.