Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ohhh my achin' back... My back is killing me from mowing with my 1026R so... I went to upgrade my seat per several earlier threads. They indicate that an upgraded seat is a bolt on replacement using the Deluxe High Back Seat, BM21490 with the bracket, BM21332. When I tried to place an order I found out that John Deere has obsoleted the deluxe seat and it is not available anywhere I can find. They replaced it with a new Air Ride Seat BM24379 which I am guessing is likely NOT compatible with the 1026R. I assume it needs certain electrical connections? And I don't know if it would bolt on as the Deluxe Seat did since they are both designed for the X700 series and not the Series 1.

Any knowledge out there about fitting the new Air Ride seat to the 1026 or where I might be able to find the obsoleted Deluxe Seat would be appreciated?
Thanks

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Check the JD LGT section of the MyTractorForum.com site. There was a member who installed one of the new air ride seats on his JD garden tractor not to long ago. I believe he did a write up on it or if he didn't, you could probably PM him for the details and or copy of the installation manual.

Otherwise, you can check seatwarehouse.com and see what they have.

Reactions: BigJim55

·
Registered
129 Posts
A bumpy ride means a bumpy lawn. The problem isn't your seat, you simply need more attachments for your tractor to make your property nice and smooth. Just call your dealer and order a box blade, maybe a lawn rake and anything else he's willing to sell you.

:gizmo:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will look at lowering the pressure in the rear tires. That is a sound suggestion...

As to the suggestion of buying lots more implements to smooth the lawn, I must admit I got a chuckle out of it, but am not going to suggest that to the missus anytime soon.... (Already have FEL, 60" mid mower, 54" snowblower and post hole digger for a total investment nearing $25 grand.)

I will also check the tractor forum mentioned. I am curious as to the electrical hookups needed.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Reactions: BigJim55 and PJR832

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
I have a thought that might work for de-bumping your bad spots. You already have the FEL which I've found is a great lawn re-doer. I have the Piranha tooth bar cutting edge to drag back and loosen the old sod, then some passes in different directions backward to carve down the humps. Finish with the "float-drag back-roll off" to fill in the low spots. Take the Piranha off for final seed bed using flat-ish back drag in FLOAT. You'll gain a bunch of handy FEL technique as well.
Tooth bar isn't a high $ "capitol purchase" so you can bypass the CFO and get that handy tool VIA UPS.
:good2:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
de-bumping bad spots is something I try and do but the magnitude of the lawn I mow (and why I mow this much is a mystery even to me, I only mow about 2/3 of what the previous owner mowed) makes this a monumental effort. I have included a picture from each of the four sides of my house to illustrate. I will look into the Piranha tooth as I have found it pretty hard to desod with just the edge of the FEL.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Inexpensive seat mod

image.jpeg

Reactions: indyjb

·
Registered
452 Posts
Is the seat bottoming out when you hit the rough spots? If so, there are heavier springs available as well as mods done using pool noodles/foam pipe insulation under the seat.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Reactions: indyjb

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Is the seat bottoming out when you hit the rough spots? If so, there are heavier springs available as well as mods done using pool noodles/foam pipe insulation under the seat.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
The seat does bottom out. Actually, just last night I installed "Ken's hooks" springs on the seat. I will see what difference that makes. I haven't seen the pool noodles mod but I will definitely do a search for that.
I had seen the big rubber dog toy (XXL Kong) mod and bought that but unfortunately that appears to be for a different seat as it did not fit under mine...

Reactions: OldmanX

·
Registered
171 Posts
A bumpy ride means a bumpy lawn. The problem isn't your seat, you simply need more attachments for your tractor to make your property nice and smooth. Just call your dealer and order a box blade, maybe a lawn rake and anything else he's willing to sell you.

:gizmo:
I don't find this to be totally accurate. I have six acres of lawn. Good old winter freezes the soil causing frost to move the earth up in areas of travel. It would be impossible to keep all the terrain flat as a pool table. Big trucks drive the cement slabs every day. For the most part they are super flat. Why do they have air ride seats ?
I am looking for a better seat for my 4110. It adds the much need comfort to the cab and makes the lawn mowing more enjoyable. AND, those darn gopher holes, $#@*&!.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts