Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1026R with front blade and rear blade on it for plowing snow. When I can't push the snow any higher with front blade I use the back blade, lately when I use the back one the engine cuts out spits and sputters. I only have 61 hrs. on the fuel filters. Would anyone have any suggestions as to what's wrong?

·
Administrator
20,894 Posts
Is it smoking at all? Are you coming off the seat when looking at the rear implement? How cold is it and how old is your fuel? Is there any water in the fuel/water separator?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
It smokes when it's sputters, I'm not coming off the seat, it's about 15 degrees, fuel is about 4 months old I put power service in it. There's no water in separator, I keep the tank filled right to the top.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,841 Posts
White or dark smoke?

Reactions: ALF

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,841 Posts
What are your running RPMs? Assuming they drop when it starts with the dark smoke.

·
Administrator
20,894 Posts
Dark smoke means you're either starving the engine for air, or you are bogging the motor with a big load somehow.

Can you give us more details on what you are doing when this happens?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The RPM's are about 2500, I'm pushing snow up the pile going backwards. The back of the tractor is up and the front is facing down.

·
Administrator
20,894 Posts
How full was your fuel tank?

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,841 Posts
Could it be that R4's seem to have a lot more traction in reverse and maybe you are in fact bogging down the tractor.

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
If in High Range can you also get it to sputter in Low? That would help point us in a direction.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Never gave a thought about the R4's having more traction. I will try doing it in low range tomorrow and check the air cleaner. Fuel tank was only down maybe a 1/2 Gallon.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,841 Posts
Keep us posted ALF. Thanks

·
Registered
489 Posts
Could it be that R4's seem to have a lot more traction in reverse and maybe you are in fact bogging down the tractor.
Gizmo2,

If the R4s have better traction in Reverse, wouldn't it make sense to switch the left wheels to the right side and the right wheels to the left side so the traction is best in Forward? Why would Deere want the best traction when backing up?

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,841 Posts
Gizmo2,

If the R4s have better traction in Reverse, wouldn't it make sense to switch the left wheels to the right side and the right wheels to the left side so the traction is best in Forward? Why would Deere want the best traction when backing up?
I never really understood that myself but I think it has to do with the self cleaning of the tire. Maybe someone else will chime in and enlighten us. Sorry.
I do know that if I can not drive into our barn area due to the amount of snow I can usually back in and plow out. Problem with this is I end up packing the snow as I back in.

BTW, I don't think better traction would hold true in all conditions.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I tried to get it to do it today, not much snow in driveway, it's a lot warmer and I don't want to tear the yard up. I will have to wait until it gets colder and snows again.

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
I never really understood that myself but I think it has to do with the self cleaning of the tire. Maybe someone else will chime in and enlighten us.
Well, it may not be enlightenment, but I don't think the designers of R4 tires ever had "snow removal" in mind when designing that tread pattern. Watch a big loader on R4 tires pushing into a pile of dirt and observe how the tire reacts with the loose soil, it's pushed OUT of the tread area. If it pulled loose material IN it would reduce traction a great deal. R4's main design is for forward traction and flotation on loose dirt/gravel with the best possible ride on pavement.

The amount of chain in the contact patch will determine snow/ice traction and R3's win that one. A lot of the cross chain in the contact patch area of R4's winds up between the lugs. This winter proves to me that I never want to be without chains on my R4's on snow and ice.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Gizmo2,

Is isn't just a JD thing. Directional tires are mounted this way so that loose material is ejected out from under the tire in the forward direction while traveling forward. This also gives the tire the most grip in the opposite direction which greatly improves braking.

Mr. Moose

Reactions: Gizmo2

·
Registered
129 Posts
Engine stalling under load

For what it's worth. My 1026R while mowing with the 60" mower deck, it would stall and sputter when I would get into tall grass and load the engine. I had plenty of rpms but the engine still stalled. Long story short, my dealer discovered that the fuel line was to short and had developed a kink in it and starve the engine for fuel, under load. At low to moderate power demand, there wasn't a problem. The fix was replacing the fuel line with a new, longer one and I haven't had the problem since. Working your tractor in the snow, at angle, might be messing with the fuel line and it's ability to supply fuel(?). All these units are cookie cut with the same parts. That's my two cents. Good luck :)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts