Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1026r and i am starting to look for a 3pt tiller for it. anyone have any opinions on the JD 647 vs other brands?

·
Administrator
20,958 Posts
:wgtt:

I moved your thread to the implement and attachments section for a better fit and more responses. I also fixed the title. I hope you don't mind sir. :hi:

If you poke around a bit in this section, you'll find a ton of info on tillers. Lots of good reading. :good2:

·
Premium Member
15,022 Posts
I have a Bush Hog 48" , like the way it tills, but IMO if you can find a 52 or 54" it would be nicer.

·
Corndog Hater
11,793 Posts
I have a 48" KingKutter from TSC. It is a great tiller for non commercial use and a great value.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: BigJim55

·
Registered
396 Posts
I'm looking too! I'm also looking for the 50-55" range as I feel 48" is just too close for the width of the 2025R and 60" is too much tiller. So far I've priced out a JD 655, Frontier 49" and 57", Woods TS52, and a Mahlindra 48". I tried to price out a Landpride the other day but the sales man only seems interested in pushing the Mahlindra. I'm not real interested in that Jap unit. The Woods is a really nice looking unit. Top runner in my list. Still a few other brands to inquire on.

Then there is the decision of forward vs reverse rotation... reverse does a better job I think but with the rocky clay soil, forward may be the best way to go.

Reactions: BigJim55

·
Read Only
1,932 Posts
I've got a 50" Landpride model RTA1250 behind my 1025r. Fits on the Imatch perfectly as well. Covers the tire tracks and can be offset left or right if needed. Tilled under sweet corn stalks in two passes without the tractor breaking a sweat. It was $500 less than the JD 647.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the info. good point on the width, i thought a 50" would be better also not sure if the 1026 could handle a 55' or 60"

·
Corndog Hater
11,793 Posts
For what it's worth my 48" tiller is offset so as to not leave tracks, at least on 1 side. Actually even with the R4 tires, it doesn't leave tracks on either side.

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,272 Posts
Well for all that want to know. I have a 60" Curtis. Bought it when I bought my 2210 back in '03. 2210 handled it just fine. I still have it and my 1026 handles it even better. There is only one draw back on it. I don't have an IMatch and it isn't IMatch compatible so being as it is heavy it can be a pain hooking it up at times. With 5 weights on the front it does a great job. Because of the weight I wish I'd have gone with a 4'er but if I had the IMatch and it worked on it I'd still go with the 5'er. Just sayin...

Reactions: ColonyPark

·
Registered
20 Posts
I rented a woods 60" last spring to do two jobs. One was to till up some bad spots in my yard and the other was to enlarge a garden that sat unused for two years.
My 1026r had no problem handling that unit. I had my heavy hitch on the front with eight 42# weights and had plenty of control when it was off the ground. I kept the tractor in low with front wheel assist engaged and just inched my way when it was in the ground (My yard is mostly clay and rocks (all fill dirt) after they replaced the leech field about 10 years ago.) In the future I'm looking at getting a woods 52" tiller.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I have a Case IH TLX 152. Which is a 52" wide forward tine, chain driven tiller. I bought it new from the case dealer for $1200 less than the JD dealer wanted for the 647. Tines are the same shape and the tilling depth is the same. My 1025R handles it easily. It has a slip clutch that took a little bit to set up / learn but now it slips when I hit rocks but busts through hard clay. I also looked at the Land pride 50". If you look at the majority of these tillers, they are made in Italy, Spain or Japan. My tiller is actually a Scima, rebranded by case.

I have a post out there somewhere, from this summer that has pictures of it.

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
I really like my 647. I have used other brands on other tractors and they all work well, the deeper the cut the better it works.

Reactions: Levi

·
Premium Member
5,095 Posts
I bought a 647 with my 1026R:greentractorride: a year plus ago. Really impressed with the performance but really had no previous experience:unknown:. The 647 is just right in every way and having the tiller size matched to the 1026R:greentractorride: makes parking and handling an ease.

·
Corndog Hater
11,793 Posts
I really like my KingKutter, but have always admired the stoutness, and compact size of the 647

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
I bought a 647 with my 1025r. Works great. Much better than the one I had on my old New Holland.

·
584 Posts
Shane here with Muttons. I use to sell the 647 but a couple years ago I switch to the Frontier rt1149. They are both a deal by mashio (largest tiller manufacturer in the world) but the frontier has more adjustment on the skid shoes and has offset capability standard. If you're interested in a quote I can pm you. Thanks

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Shane here with Muttons. I use to sell the 647 but a couple years ago I switch to the Frontier rt1149. They are both a deal by mashio (largest tiller manufacturer in the world) but the frontier has more adjustment on the skid shoes and has offset capability standard. If you're interested in a quote I can pm you. Thanks
Thanks Shane, yes please quote! also i have a quick attach and would need to make sure the shaft is the right length. would you recommend a 48" or something bigger?

·
Registered
284 Posts
I got the 647 with my 1025r and have no complaints...that tiller has served my needs very well.

1025tilling.jpg

1 - 20 of 32 Posts